2017 Democratic Thread

bmags

Some states allow you to change an early vote, but MT is not one of them. MT's voting patterns are atypical, but in most states, it's dedicated partisans that are early voting anyways, so those people aren't going to be swayed into voting for the other side by anything.

Make voting a national holiday and have it last 3 days over a long weekend and some of the impetus for early voting goes away. Or just do what Oregon and Washington do and go 100% mail-in ballots. No more opportunities to mess around with polling places, polling machines, voting hours, etc. that way. Those long, long lines on voting day aren't something inspirational, they're a sign of a failed system.

Edited by StrangeSox

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-alleged-ru...tive-1495724787

Mr. Nevins said he hasn’t been contacted by any investigators about last year’s political hacking.

He isn’t convinced the Russians were behind it, Mr. Nevins said, but even if they were, it doesn’t matter to him because the agenda of the hackers seemed to match his own.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ May 25, 2017 -> 12:14 PM)
You can be a felon and win office. You can be dead and win office. This story is not some benchmark that proves where we, as a country, are in our democracy. It's been f***ed up and broken for a LOOOOOONG time.

I honestly think there's a significant difference between your examples and this. A violent felon? Has that happened? I don't recall an incident of a public official getting SUPPORT for attacking a journalist in the United States of America.

https://soapboxie.com/us-politics/Violence-...he-Senate-Floor

After Brooks violent attack on Sumner, from which Brooks escaped unscathed and somewhat of a hero in the South, he continued to be a "bully". This perhaps was spurred on by southern newspapers that applauded these acts of violence against northern public office holders. After the Brooks-Sumner altercation, the Richmond Enquirer described the incident as follows: "We consider the act good in conception, better in execution, and best of all in consequences."

Congressman Anson Burlingame from Massachusetts, called Brooks a coward on the floor of the House of Representatives. Brooks response was to challenge Burlingame to a duel which he enthusiastically accepted and named rifles as the weapon of choice. Brooks failed to show up for the duel after learning that Burlingame was an expert marksman. This caused Brooks to be called a coward for the rest of his life.

Modern Times:

Not an argument between Congressmen but very interesting was the heated discussion which took place between Zell Miller, former Democratic Senator from Georgia, and reporter Chris Matthews in a televised interview just after Senator Miller delivered a keynote speech at the 2004 Republican National Convention. Yes, Senator Miller is a Democrat, however, he endorsed Republican George W. Bush in the presidential election and, much to the chagrin of the Democratic party, he was spotlighted at the Republican convention. Initially this was thought to be a major coup by the Republicans, but it may have backfired during the Matthews interview. Senator Miller became so enraged at the reporter, that he said he wished he could challenge Matthews to a duel. Unfortunately, many thought that the interview remarks detracted from the spirit of the keynote speech and the convention itself. Others, fed up with biased news coverage, cheered Miller's remarks and praised his feistiness. If this conversation would have taken place in the 1800s, it could have had a very different ending!

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 25, 2017 -> 01:23 PM)
I honestly think there's a significant difference between your examples and this. A violent felon? Has that happened? I don't recall an incident of a public official getting SUPPORT for attacking a journalist in the United States of America.

I think felons are worse than a guy committing misdemeanor assault. Where was your outrage when Markahm elected a felon as its mayor earlier this year?

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ May 25, 2017 -> 02:46 PM)
I think felons are worse than a guy committing misdemeanor assault. Where was your outrage when Markahm elected a felon as its mayor earlier this year?

Wasn't an national story, and reddy did say "violent felon" in here. Googling shows that the mayor was convicted of mail fraud in 1999 for defrauding insurance companies. Sounds pretty similar to Rick Scott.

What's the bar for felony assault over misdemeanor? Chokeslamming someone to the ground and then punching them seems like it should treated as a pretty serious offense.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ May 25, 2017 -> 03:46 PM)

I literally don't know what Markahm is.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 25, 2017 -> 03:41 PM)
https://soapboxie.com/us-politics/Violence-...he-Senate-Floor

After Brooks violent attack on Sumner, from which Brooks escaped unscathed and somewhat of a hero in the South, he continued to be a "bully". This perhaps was spurred on by southern newspapers that applauded these acts of violence against northern public office holders. After the Brooks-Sumner altercation, the Richmond Enquirer described the incident as follows: "We consider the act good in conception, better in execution, and best of all in consequences."

Congressman Anson Burlingame from Massachusetts, called Brooks a coward on the floor of the House of Representatives. Brooks response was to challenge Burlingame to a duel which he enthusiastically accepted and named rifles as the weapon of choice. Brooks failed to show up for the duel after learning that Burlingame was an expert marksman. This caused Brooks to be called a coward for the rest of his life.

Modern Times:

Not an argument between Congressmen but very interesting was the heated discussion which took place between Zell Miller, former Democratic Senator from Georgia, and reporter Chris Matthews in a televised interview just after Senator Miller delivered a keynote speech at the 2004 Republican National Convention. Yes, Senator Miller is a Democrat, however, he endorsed Republican George W. Bush in the presidential election and, much to the chagrin of the Democratic party, he was spotlighted at the Republican convention. Initially this was thought to be a major coup by the Republicans, but it may have backfired during the Matthews interview. Senator Miller became so enraged at the reporter, that he said he wished he could challenge Matthews to a duel. Unfortunately, many thought that the interview remarks detracted from the spirit of the keynote speech and the convention itself. Others, fed up with biased news coverage, cheered Miller's remarks and praised his feistiness. If this conversation would have taken place in the 1800s, it could have had a very different ending!

Haha yeah he threatened him to a duel - I remember it, and it's pretty hilarious in retrospect - but I don't think we've ever seen something like we saw last night in modern America. And that's kind of scary in the greater context of Trump's America.

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 25, 2017 -> 01:50 PM)
I literally don't know what Markahm is.

Yeah, I read it as Arkham prison from Batman, lol.

According to the news reports, the standard for felony was not met because the injuries were not deemed severe enough, whatever that means. So if he had a broken arm, a felony? What about a fractured or slightly displaced elbow? His glasses were broken/shattered, that much is clear.

If this happened in an inner city high school (let's say the bathroom) and the kid was 18 or older, have a feeling it would result in felony charges. If there was video and not just audio, the sheriff might have had no choice but the more serious charge.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 25, 2017 -> 03:56 PM)
Yeah, I read it as Arkham prison from Batman, lol.

According to the news reports, the standard for felony was not met because the injuries were not deemed severe enough, whatever that means. So if he had a broken arm, a felony? What about a fractured or slightly displaced elbow? His glasses were broken/shattered, that much is clear.

If this happened in an inner city high school (let's say the bathroom) and the kid was 18 or older, have a feeling it would result in felony charges. If there was video and not just audio, the sheriff might have had no choice but the more serious charge.

ORRRRR if he were.... wait for it.........

Where's SS2K for this one?

please don't import that drama to this thread!

Based on the "serious injury" criteria, misdemeanor seems like the correct charge. Wonder what the House will do if they're looking at seating a convicted violent offender?

j/k they'll seat him because he's got the right letter next to his name.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 25, 2017 -> 04:08 PM)
Bizarre to me it's based off of injury. Very NHL like

Not as unusual as you think. A lot of times crimes are dependent on money (how much was stolen), weapons (were they used) and how bad someone was hurt.

Wellp, looks like quiet won't pull this off. The GOP playbook of just hiding, not taking responsibility for your actions and then hope people forget continues to be bullet proof

Edit: quiet = Quist

Looks like he's on track to do substantially better than Clinton it the Dem candidate in 2016, but it wouldn't be enough to actually win.

Another "good sign" for Democrats but they need to actually start winning some of these special elections.

The sheriff in charge of gianforte's assault is a friend and donor, so expect that case to mysteriously go away.