Sox want to finish Q deal by ST

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 4, 2017 -> 01:19 PM)
Well the Dodgers went and spent $200m this offseason on the likes of Justin Turner and Rich Hill, crushing whatever theory there was of them caring even a little about the tax. I was one of those who thought the Sox could get some of LA's prospects by taking on salary...well that idea is completely shot.

The Yankees make a little more sense as they will almost have to sign at least one expensive starter next offseason (Tanaka will opt out) and have ambitions of signing Harper and possibly Machado in 2 years. But even they aren't going to give up guys they really believe in from the farm just for payroll flexibility. The appeal of Quintana for the Yanks is it helps them be sneaky contenders in 2017 and gives them a solid lefty innings eater right through the heart of their championship window.

As of right now, the Dodgers payroll in 2018 if Ethier's big option doesn't vest is under $170 million and very few of their contracts substantially inflate where counting the average would matter. They have some room to add players, but it would have to be someone like Quintana or Dozier where their salary for 2018 is under control. The Yankees have a committed 2018 payroll of something like $130 million - low enough that it's safe to say they will still be players next offseason, they might just cut themselves off at one point. For Quintana, he gets them help in 2017 as you said, but he does so without hurting their ability to keep building during 2018 and 2019.

So, both teams still have a shot at getting under the tax line next year, Quintana would work for both for that reason, and the Yankees just have to "not buy everyone" next offseason to do it.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 4, 2017 -> 10:10 AM)
If this is true, we all may be slightly disappointed with the haul. If they're intent on finishing a deal before camp opens, they will end up settling for best offer.

Meh. RH has said this is going to take time. He is not going to settle on his 2nd best trade chip that has four years of cheap control. He just won't. He'll get what he wants this offseason, or wait until he does.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jan 4, 2017 -> 12:47 PM)
Meh. RH has said this is going to take time. He is not going to settle on his 2nd best trade chip that has four years of cheap control. He just won't. He'll get what he wants this offseason, or wait until he does.

I'm just saying it may be disappointing to some if they really do intend to move him before spring training because there were a good amount of people on here that felt the Sale trade was a player off (myself included). Granted, it'll still be a great deal for us but not quite what we expect it to be.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jan 4, 2017 -> 12:04 PM)
Q's value will likely never be higher, but it is not likely to fade much either. Four full years on an under market contract is such crazy value that the market can't even really meet it. Plus, the other part is that other players' value is no sure thing to hold steady anyway, and pitchers like Glasnow could easily tumble. Any trade is a snapshot in time value wise. The big picture is my whole argument is predicated on the fact that the slam dunk elite offer is not being made anyway. If that kind of offer comes in, then you take it. If not, evaluate all scenarios.

I think the bolded is the key. We saw this with Sale, and we may very well see it with Q if he's traded this offseason. Teams are only willing to give up so much. I think you can get the same for Q value-wise next offseason, or even in a year and half, as you can now. That doesn't mean you hold for the sake of holding, as there obviously is some risk there (but with Q its minimal), but you don't take a lesser package. You wait until your asking price (or at least what you realistically would take - see Sale trade), is met.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 4, 2017 -> 12:51 PM)
I'm just saying it may be disappointing to some if they really do intend to move him before spring training because there were a good amount of people on here that felt the Sale trade was a player off (myself included). Granted, it'll still be a great deal for us but not quite what we expect it to be.

I am with ya there. I thought it was a player light as well, but see my previous post. Diminishing returns is a real thing.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jan 4, 2017 -> 12:53 PM)
I think the bolded is the key. We saw this with Sale, and we may very well see it with Q if he's traded this offseason. Teams are only willing to give up so much. I think you can get the same for Q value-wise next offseason, or even in a year and half, as you can now. That doesn't mean you hold for the sake of holding, as there obviously is some risk there (but with Q its minimal), but you don't take a lesser package. You wait until your asking price (or at least what you realistically would take - see Sale trade), is met.

I have been harping on this since before Sale was traded. Yeah technically he will be worth less as time goes by, but the package isn't going to be less unless he gets hurt or horrible for at least a year or year and a half.