Sox holding talks "daily" on Q

Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jan 6, 2017 -> 06:25 PM)
Via Sean Sears on Twitter : "The #Astros are willing to part with Tucker, Martes, and Paulino for #Sox Jose Quintana, per source"

Great now throw in Reed and Stubbs and I'm there.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still say the Yankees are the best fit. Even without Torres

Clint Frazier, Justice Sheffield, Dustin Fowler, and Josh Rogers

or say screw it and take a mega depth package from the Yankees without any of Torres, Frazier, or Sheffield if the Yankees insist on overvaluing them. It's crazy but the Yankees actually have enough depth and talent to do it.

Jorge Mateo, Blake Rutherford, James Kaprielian, Jorge Andujuar, and Domingo Acevedo

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 6, 2017 -> 06:10 PM)
I really hope if the Astros make the deal, AJ Reed is a throw in buy low guyI know a lot of people are down on him, but his minor league track record is awesome, and although he was a bit younger which does make a difference, look at Anthony Rizzo's first couple hundred PA in the major leagues. Brutal.

This guy is huge with a lot of potential.he could become a cult hero.

Can't agree more with this. Reed would be a great third piece IMO. Like you said, his stats last year are very similar to Rizzo's first season.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jan 6, 2017 -> 06:33 PM)
I still say the Yankees are the best fit. Even without Torres

Clint Frazier, Justice Sheffield, Dustin Fowler, and Josh Rogers

or say screw it and take a mega depth package from the Yankees without any of Torres, Frazier, or Sheffield if the Yankees insist on overvaluing them. It's crazy but the Yankees actually have enough depth and talent to do it.

Jorge Mateo, Blake Rutherford, James Kaprielian, Jorge Andujuar, and Domingo Acevedo

Depending on what comes with Martes + Tucker, I've been most intrigued by a depth package from the Yankees if they are unwillling to include Torres. Rutherford could be a top 10 prospect in a year or two and would headline any deal at that point.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 6, 2017 -> 06:31 PM)
Q is worth those guys + but doesn't mean their teams will trade them. That said, I don't think anyone is ever untouchable. Maybe the 'Stros don't want to include Bregman but that could change, same with Meadows and anyone else. There's no reason for posters to keep yelling that "Bregman wont be traded" every time he gets mentioned. No one knows if that's true or not.

Exactly. That's my point as well.

If the Astros believe they have to keep Bregman then it's hard to find a deal that will help the Sox. Sure we can get those quantity packages but that's super risky for the Sox. If you're trading an allstar on a cheap contract NOW, then the idea is to get at least two guys who will be Allstars LATER. Bregman, like Moncada, is as sure a thing as you can hope for with prospects. But since developing prospects aren't sure allstars like Q already is, we need more prospects as well.

Not getting Bregman means the Sox take on an overwhelming amount of risk with wildcards like Tucker, Martes etc- guys you hope become above average.

Really think the Sox gotta hold their ground for a "sure thing" (prospect-wise) guy as the headliner.

One more Moncada and we are sitting super pretty

Q is worth those guys + but doesn't mean their teams will trade them. That said, I don't think anyone is ever untouchable. Maybe the 'Stros don't want to include Bregman but that could change, same with Meadows and anyone else. There's no reason for posters to keep yelling that "Bregman wont be traded" every time he gets mentioned. No one knows if that's true or not.

Moncada wasn't even worth mentioning he was so untouchable and Eaton wouldn't command Giolito, Lopez and Dunning.

QUOTE (reiks12 @ Jan 6, 2017 -> 08:14 PM)
I just dont see the Pirates going away from Cutch..

Then they have to cash in Meadows either this offseason or next, with this offseason making far more sense if they could get a player with several years of control, and they're not going to find a better budgetary match than Quintana.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 6, 2017 -> 08:10 PM)
And Balta is right - if the Pirates don't trade Cutch, then they don't have room for Meadows. It's not like they can DH Cutch.

Meadows will spend the entire season in AAA ball. They can always deal him at the deadline

Bregman, much like trea turner, will never be on the table.

If no Musgrove, then I want reed and perez instead. A martes, tucker, reed and perez deal would be a haul for the sox, while not hurting their mlb lineup

As the White Sox continue to discuss trade arrangements involving Jose Quintana, the Astros remain one of the rival organizations most fervently in pursuit. That’s hardly surprising, as Houston has long been said to be engaged on the talented lefty. Certainly, it still seems there’s sufficient momentum towards a deal for something to get done, though it remains to be seen whether the ‘Stros or another club will come up with the best offer.

Morosi saying the same thing with different words sequenced together.

Edited by hi8is

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jan 6, 2017 -> 07:28 PM)
So if Q and his contract aren't worth a prospect like Bregman or Meadows...then who is?

I always thought you had to trade more prospects for an allstar MLB player. Apparently now you have to trade more MLB players for one untouchable prospect? GMAFB.

Chris Sale was worth the absolute #1 prospect plus three other really good prospects.

Jose Quintana can get Bregman+

Jose Quintana can get Meadows+

It's not even a debate.

It's just going to have to hurt if you're the Astros or Pirates. That's how trading for Allstar pitchers with legendary contracts works.

Bravo! Well said!

QUOTE (heirdog @ Jan 6, 2017 -> 06:14 PM)
I love all of these "untouchables" on other teams. Quintana is an absolute stud and is beyond "untouchable"...but guess what, he is touchable. And so are these supposed untouchables from other teams. The stare downs will continue until someone breaks...and someone will break, it just won't be Hahn.

He is on a team that is not planning on making the playoffs for a couple of years to rebuild. That is why Q is available. All of the teams being discussed are trying to make the playoffs this year. This is why they want Q. They aren't going to trade pieces important to this year's team to acquire him and decrease the chance of making the playoffs. Boston wouldn't do it for Sale, Washington wouldn't do it for Sale or Eaton. Pittsburgh and the astros won't dot it for Q.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jan 6, 2017 -> 06:28 PM)
So if Q and his contract aren't worth a prospect like Bregman or Meadows...then who is?

I always thought you had to trade more prospects for an allstar MLB player. Apparently now you have to trade more MLB players for one untouchable prospect? GMAFB.

Chris Sale was worth the absolute #1 prospect plus three other really good prospects.

Jose Quintana can get Bregman+

Jose Quintana can get Meadows+

It's not even a debate.

It's just going to have to hurt if you're the Astros or Pirates. That's how trading for Allstar pitchers with legendary contracts works.

Boston would not give anyone important to this years team for Sale either. That's why boston traded Moncada, who isn't quite ready, instead of benintendi, who proved he was ready. It all has to do with the upcoming year and making the playoffs. Bregman and Meadows aren't going anywhere for anyone. They will trade from the minor leagues but not the MLB.

Meadows isn't on the level of those players, though. Dude hasn't even had a good season at AAA yet. And Pittsburg hasn't been labeling him as untouchable like those teams did with the players listed.

Having said that I think they'll be reluctant, and if he was currently being offered I think a deal would've already happened by now.

It does when others insist that he must be included in a trade. It is two different opinions but with the way the reports and process of trading Q have gone, it a pretty good educated guess that the reports that the Astros refuse to trade him are believable.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 6, 2017 -> 06:27 PM)
I'm not certain Meadows is off limits. Bregman I agree on, but until the Pirates move McCutchen I think Meadows is still a possibility even if it's a remote one.

I agree and honestly I'd rather have Meadows than Bregman.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 6, 2017 -> 10:08 PM)
Boston would not give anyone important to this years team for Sale either. That's why boston traded Moncada, who isn't quite ready, instead of benintendi, who proved he was ready. It all has to do with the upcoming year and making the playoffs. Bregman and Meadows aren't going anywhere for anyone. They will trade from the minor leagues but not the MLB.

Meadows isn't an MLB player. Bregman isn't why Houston will or won't make the playoffs in 2017. Their 2016 offense plus the position player additions this off season will ensure that in 2017 as well. Their starting pitching certainly is the gaping hole. So GM speak about MLBers aside, Bregman has nothing to do with 2017 but what he'll be eventually as is Meadows.

QUOTE (heirdog @ Jan 6, 2017 -> 08:15 PM)
Meadows isn't an MLB player. Bregman isn't why Houston will or won't make the playoffs in 2017. Their 2016 offense plus the position player additions this off season will ensure that in 2017 as well. Their starting pitching certainly is the gaping hole. So GM speak about MLBers aside, Bregman has nothing to do with 2017 but what he'll be eventually as is Meadows.

I disagree with Bregman. I think they believe he is very important to the roster. Having a good glove at 3B, especially with their staff, who has good offensive potential is important.

As for Meadows, the Pirates have been shopping McCutchen because they can't afford him for the next contract. It appears that Meadows is the replacement. The Pirates need to have at least a shot at the playoffs each year to maintain the fan base. From all reports Meadows is the player who can replace him and they are reluctant to lose a player that close to the MLB, they need to replace an MLB player.

all of this is JMHO but it doesn't take a genius to see where these negotiations are going. Maybe RH/KW will wear them down but it sure doesn't look like it.