Sox holding talks "daily" on Q

Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 6, 2017 -> 08:24 PM)
I disagree with Bregman. I think they believe he is very important to the roster. Having a good glove at 3B, especially with their staff, who has good offensive potential is important.

As for Meadows, the Pirates have been shopping McCutchen because they can't afford him for the next contract. It appears that Meadows is the replacement. The Pirates need to have at least a shot at the playoffs each year to maintain the fan base. From all reports Meadows is the player who can replace him and they are reluctant to lose a player that close to the MLB, they need to replace an MLB player.

all of this is JMHO but it doesn't take a genius to see where these negotiations are going. Maybe RH/KW will wear them down but it sure doesn't look like it.

Then acquiring Gurriel, Beltran and McCann didn't make much sense if they want to continue to give at-bats to Gattis as well. The equation doesn't work if you're trying to play Bregman, not to mention AJ Reed. Something has to give.

From all reports, Gurriel is an above-average defender at 3b, too.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jan 6, 2017 -> 10:01 PM)
Not seeing too much of Derek Fisher's name but he'd definitely be a name I'd be targeting. Projects as the #33 prospect in baseball per Fangraphs' KATOH statistical projection system (highest Astro aside from Bregman), in 2016 hit .245/.373/.431 at AA and .290/.347/.505 at AAA. Probably limited to left-field but a plus runner.

Plus Fisher has some speed so maybe he can develop into a decent LF with plus range to help compensate for the weak arm. Has also shown the ability to draw walks. He will start at AAA this year but definitely has potential to be a mid season callup. Really like that he has power from the left side too.

Edit: oh and I also like the idea of Reed too. I know he had a tough ML debut last year but his numbers at AAA were pretty good.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jan 6, 2017 -> 10:34 PM)
The @insidebaseball6 twitter account has some interesting (albeit not groundbreaking) info on Astros and Yankees interest in Q. Full disclosure, no idea if there's merit to it.

Also tweeted this out. No reason to think it has any validity.

nside Baseball ‏@InsideBaseball6 4h4 hours ago

#Astros appear to be frontrunners to acquire #WhiteSox SP Jose Quintana. Prospects Kyle Tucker & Yulieski Gurriel could be part of the deal.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jan 7, 2017 -> 01:27 AM)

#Astros appear to be frontrunners to acquire #WhiteSox SP Jose Quintana. Prospects Kyle Tucker & Yulieski Gurriel could be part of the deal.

Well that makes total sense. I knew we needed a 32 year old first baseman to headline a deal that contains our 27 year old starting pitcher in a rebuild.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jan 7, 2017 -> 12:27 AM)

Yeah OK worse than Sports Mockery..............delete.............delete

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 6, 2017 -> 11:48 PM)
Then acquiring Gurriel, Beltran and McCann didn't make much sense if they want to continue to give at-bats to Gattis as well. The equation doesn't work if you're trying to play Bregman, not to mention AJ Reed. Something has to give.

From all reports, Gurriel is an above-average defender at 3b, too.

McCann and Gattis are going to catch more than you think...they have to. They let Castro walk and Max Stassi is their only other C and he can't hit a lick.

C- McCann/Gattis

1B- Gurriel/McCann

2b- Altuve

SS- Correa

3B- Bregman

LF- Beltran/Gattis/Aoki

CF- Springer

RF- Reddick

DH- Beltran/McCann/Gattis

Gattis and Aoki are not going to keep Alex Bregman from playing. Bregman could even see a decent amount of time in LF while also filling in at SS and 2B when needed.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jan 7, 2017 -> 08:06 AM)
McCann and Gattis are going to catch more than you think...they have to. They let Castro walk and Max Stassi is their only other C and he can't hit a lick.

C- McCann/Gattis

1B- Gurriel/McCann

2b- Altuve

SS- Correa

3B- Bregman

LF- Beltran/Gattis/Aoki

CF- Springer

RF- Reddick

DH- Beltran/McCann/Gattis

Gattis and Aoki are not going to keep Alex Bregman from playing. Bregman could even see a decent amount of time in LF while also filling in at SS and 2B when needed.

That team has a lot of depth. Is it a guarntee that Springer is going to play center?

I really think a deal happens with the Astros pretty soon. I'm going to predict a Martes, Tucker, Reed, & Laureano package. That may feel light to some, but Reed was a top 30 prospect just 12 months ago and Laureano appears to be criminally underrated. Short of the Pirates offering Meadows, I think I take that deal, although I'm pretty high on Tucker.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jan 7, 2017 -> 08:27 AM)
I am not enamored with the Astros prospects. My hope is that Hahn holds out for one of the Yankees elite prospects.

Don't think the Yankees are going to move their elite prospects imo.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 7, 2017 -> 08:22 AM)
I really think a deal happens with the Astros pretty soon. I'm going to predict a Martes, Tucker, Reed, & Laureano package. That may feel light to some, but Reed was a top 30 prospect just 12 months ago and Laureano appears to be criminally underrated. Short of the Pirates offering Meadows, I think I take that deal, although I'm pretty high on Tucker.

I hope.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 7, 2017 -> 09:22 AM)

I like that deal but give me Stubb's over Reed. CA>1B

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jan 7, 2017 -> 01:27 AM)

That would be insanity.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 7, 2017 -> 06:22 AM)

I get the sense something happens soon as well.

I'd like to see Tucker/Fisher/Perez/Laureano/Reed.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 7, 2017 -> 09:31 AM)
Beware of tweets that say "team X" are the frontrunners in a trade.

Beware of tweets from Jon Morosi, who needs to spew verbal diarrhea on MLB Network for 10 minutes.

It's all horses*** until it's actually done.

This. Most of the time they need to fill time on TV or they have to write an article about something.

QUOTE (Mattchoo @ Jan 7, 2017 -> 07:37 AM)
if Houston had any need for Frazier or Robertson, I'd include them with Q to get both Tucker and Bregman as the headliners.

You're a funny funny man... man.