Sox holding talks "daily" on Q

Sleepy Harold

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 02:05 PM)
I was thinking this too. It would make sense.

I don't see Atlanta being a great fit for Quintana

Albies is a very good prospect, but outside of that their system is pretty thin on "available" position player prospects.

Maitan is 16 years old and very far away from the majors

Acuna just turned 19 and is year away

The system really drops off after that

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 02:07 PM)
And this was from Dan Szymborskis chat:

Rick Hahn

2:10 Why am I having such a hard time finding a match for Quintana (in a pitching starved market no less)?

Dan Szymborski

2:10 I think they're still in the asking for the stars phase.

If they don't settle for the moon, then worry.

That's where I think Soxfest comes into play. I know it's not set in stone that they have to move him, but they want to move him. With the media exposure that comes, I don't think Quintana is on the roster on the 27th.

His 28th birthday is January 24. I say before...he gone.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 02:10 PM)

Albies is a very good prospect, but outside of that their system is pretty thin on "available" position player prospects.

Alex Jackson and Austin Riley are also worth some attention as position players. Travis Demeritte has also put up some big time power numbers at low levels.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 02:15 PM)
Alex Jackson and Austin Riley are also worth some attention as position players. Travis Demeritte has also put up some big time power numbers at low levels.

Agreed. Yes the Braves system is very young, but they are deep in both position and pitching prospects. But also a risky proposition to trade with especially when Q is so valuable to this rebuild.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 02:04 PM)
Here's Dave Cameron's take:

Dooduh: Let’s try this again…. why would Glasnow + Bell + 3rd prospect not be enough for the ChiSox to pull the trigger for Quintana? That is a strong package and there’s little reason to believe they are getting any more than that… and holding him accepts risk of poor performance impairing his value. They are not going to get Meadows by holding out any longer. This has to be just a matter of time, no..?

12:42

Dave Cameron: I think Pirates fans are a lot higher on Glasnow than non-Pirates fans. The command is terrible and the stuff isn’t that special. He’s not good enough to be the primary piece in a Quintana trade.

Ding ding ding

Many scouts view Glasnow's stock to have slipped a little bit. He can still develop into a TOR starter, but his control is currently not very good. He likely needs a full season in AAA to work on it.

Hahn has done a great job in getting more than Sox fans hoped for in each trade

Quintana is not wearing a Pirates uniform without Meadows + Glasnow + Bell/Keller/Newman package

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 12:54 PM)
If we are talking about Brave packages I need Albies and Maitan to be the headliners in any deal. Maitin, even though extremely young may be the position player I want the most if we can't get a Meadows, Bell, Tucker, etc.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 12:56 PM)
That is exactly what I feel too.

Maitan is a good 4+ years away. What good does that do for our rebuild? Our headliners should be guys that will be in the majors by 2019 at the latest.

Some of you guys are so obsessed with getting bats that you're not thinking straight right now.

The Braves system is better than most people give it credit for. For some reason Robles gets hyped to the moon but Acuna does not, even if Acuna and Robles are both 5 tool monsters who have put up comparable numbers. Riley would instantly compete with Collins for second best position player in the White Sox system. They are overflowing with OF prospects that would immediately jump ahead of Basabe as the best OF prospect also (and I'm not knocking Basabe). If the Sox were to acquire minor league pitching at this point it would preferably be left handed, and the Braves have a TON of talented lefties. They lack a catcher, but so does just about everyone else. Collins, despite the defensive uncertainty, is a better catching prospect than all but a handful of MLB teams have on their farms.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 02:15 PM)

Alex Jackson is rapidly approaching "bust" territory. Too soon to write him off, but far more was expected out of such a high draft pick.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/prospect...hp?reportid=392

This eyewitness scouting report from 08/2016 really brings his stock down quite a bit. His below average glove and well below average speed force his bat to play. 45 Future grade

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 02:22 PM)
Maitan is a good 4+ years away. What good does that do for our rebuild? Our headliners should be guys that will be in the majors by 2019 at the latest.

Some of you guys are so obsessed with getting bats that you're not thinking straight right now.

Maitan is one of the highest ceiling guys in all of baseball. If your goal is to really open a long window of contention, this is exactly the type of guy who you target. He has future superstar written all over him.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 02:21 PM)
Ding ding ding

Many scouts view Glasnow's stock to have slipped a little bit. He can still develop into a TOR starter, but his control is currently not very good. He likely needs a full season in AAA to work on it.

Hahn has done a great job in getting more than Sox fans hoped for in each trade

Quintana is not wearing a Pirates uniform without Meadows + Glasnow + Bell/Keller/Newman package

I'd prefer Meadows, Glasnow, Bell, but if it's not that, then I would think Keller or Newman (especially Newman) would warrant an additional fringy prospect thrown in.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 02:32 PM)
Maitan is one of the highest ceiling guys in all of baseball. If your goal is to really open a long window of contention, this is exactly the type of guy who you target. He has future superstar written all over him.

When do you realistically expect him to be a productive member of our team? How many years of control will we have left with the rest of our core by that point?

With a rebuild you want a core of players all hitting the majors in a short period of time. That's how you optimize your window of contention.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 02:49 PM)
When do you realistically expect him to be a productive member of our team? How many years of control will we have over our core by that point?

With a rebuild you want a core of players all hitting the majors in a short period of time. That's how you extend your window of contention.

The way to "extend your window of contention" would be to have high-upside talent flowing through your system constantly. I do agree though that Maitan shouldn't be a centerpiece.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 02:45 PM)
Watch Seattle jump into the Q sweepstakes with an offer of Smith/Vogelbach/O'Neill/Lewis. Would be nice if Houston had a division rival involved in the negotiations.

The top three in that group would have my attention for sure. Lewis/O'Neill/Vogelbach all three look like professional hitters, each with plus power.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 02:49 PM)
When do you realistically expect him to be a productive member of our team? How many years of control will we have left with the rest of our core by that point?

With a rebuild you want a core of players all hitting the majors in a short period of time. That's how you optimize your window of contention.

If that is really the case, they have already dug themselves a huge hole by not getting much in the way of position players at all.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 02:51 PM)
The way to "extend your window of contention" would be to have high-upside talent flowing through your system constantly. I do agree though that Maitan shouldn't be a centerpiece.

Well obviously, but you need to build a contender in the first place and that's going to be a challenge if one of the centerpieces of your remaining blue chipper is 4+ years away from reaching the majors and another year or so from being productive most likely.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 02:52 PM)
The top three in that group would have my attention for sure. Lewis/O'Neill/Vogelbach all three look like professional hitters, each with plus power.

I'm pretty high on those three myself and would take those three over any three hitting prospects from Pitt not name Bell or Meadows.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 02:54 PM)
They just got drew smyly.

Ha ha, I posted too soon. Nice move for Seattle, Smyly should enjoy pitching in that spacious park.