Sox holding talks "daily" on Q

Sleepy Harold

Jimmy and Oklahoma braves, thanks for sharing your info. I wasn't wild about the idea of trading with Atlanta in the beginning but they have some very interesting prospects and if they are willing to offer Albie's and Newcomb as headliners, I'm interested. I absolutely love Albie's and he's probably the one SS mentioned in the rumors that I feel could push Anderson off the SS position, not that I have a problem TA, kids been fine by me.

How close would Albie's/Newcomb/Soroka/Riley be?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 10:52 PM)
I think his opinion on Glasnow's stuff would put him in the minority.

So be it, but the love of Glasnow is not universal. And you do have to watch some of these prospects rankings...a lot of the services just take their information from other evaulators. Not saying it's the case with Glasnow. And I believe BA put Keller ahead of Glasnow anyway.

I wouldn't mind a quantity trade for Q - 3 in the 40-70 range plus 3 more (the ascending Keller, Newman, Bell plus 3 more, e.g.)....I just don't see anyone that we can get who is really elite so I'll take some volume to minimize the risk.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 11:23 PM)
So be it, but the love of Glasnow is not universal. And you do have to watch some of these prospects rankings...a lot of the services just take their information from other evaulators. Not saying it's the case with Glasnow. And I believe BA put Keller ahead of Glasnow anyway.

I wouldn't mind a quantity trade for Q - 3 in the 40-70 range plus 3 more (the ascending Keller, Newman, Bell plus 3 more, e.g.)....I just don't see anyone that we can get who is really elite so I'll take some volume to minimize the risk.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 11:29 PM)
You dont have to be Professor Baseball to have major concerns about a pitcher who in five years of pro instruction has barely gained any control of his pitches.

I've already said Glasnow has his warts, but saying his stuff isn't good (like Jerksticks did) is ridiculous.

I've already said Glasnow has his warts, but saying his stuff isn't good (like Jerksticks did) is ridiculous.

Well if he cant get the walks under control then he'll go the bullpen where I figure he'll find a lot of success. To me, just judging by his profile, that seems like the most likely option. His realistic floor as a high octane middle reliever is still valuable.

My read on the board consensus with Glasnow is he's fine as a second piece in a Meadows deal but would have to be packaged with Newman and Keller if Meadows were not included. I agree with that.

How is it helpful to have a late inning/high leverage reliever with control problems?

Seems the main reason you see guys get converted to the pen is their repertoire is limited and/or they can't get their secondary stuff over for strikes/K's. Another obvious reason is they have a dominant fastball with movement (see someone like Mike MacDougal.)

Not sure how conversion to relief will "fix" Glasnow, especially if the problems are mechanical more than psychological.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 11:54 PM)

I'm not trying to be ridiculous. Just saying I went back and watched his appearances on MLbtv (cuz I love wasting hours of life on old baseball), and it just didn't look like dominating stuff. If you've watched him, what does he do that you really like?

Lopez on the other hand...holy crap, he's beyond electric. He's my favorite guy we traded for or a close tie with Moncada. He's nasty. I don't think Glasnow has that exciting stuff you like in a TOR guy- more like a Jon Garland.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 10:17 PM)
This is crazy.

One - that 20 has not been updated, they re-did team rankings but have not finished their player evaluations on mlb pipeline, you will se regrading.

And what happened last year? Well as a 19 year old in AA he continued to rake and had a .145 iso. That isn't barry bonds, but it's an improvement over the 1 home run he hit over two years prior, and closer to a 35/40. It's also better than top prospects Nick Gordon and JP Crawford posted. Add to that he has a 70 speed tool that turns singles into double snad doubles into triples.

He has a great 15% strikeout rate (as one of the youngest players in every league), he has a good walkout rate (again, as youngest player) and most of all has the scouting reports you love to see. High baseball IQ. Intense gamer. Does whatever team needs to win.

The one thing not being mentioned about Albies is the major injury he had last season. He fractured his right elbow swinging a bat. Numerous medical have written this can be a precursor of a reoccurrence of the same injury happening again. There is no way I want Albies in the deal until I see him healthy and playing for at least a half of season. Albies is the same type of injury that normally happens to a pitcher, such as Dave Dravecky and Tom Browning which ended their careers. Very unusual to see this with hitters. I'm out on Albies for the time being.

Edited by PolishPrince34

Agreed on players with injury problems. I would prefer players who have a clean record there. Meadows seems to have reoccuring hammy problems. Albies and his elbow.

I wouldnt be upset about those players but I prefer to worry about 'if' and not 'when'.

When all the smokes clears and if you were Rick Hahn and these were the packages presented to you what would you choose and why.

Meadows/Glasnow/lotto ticket

Meadows/Keller/Newman

Meadows/Keller/Hayes/Hearn

QUOTE (beautox @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 06:32 AM)
When all the smokes clears and if you were Rick Hahn and these were the packages presented to you what would you choose and why.

Meadows/Keller/Newman

Easily Meadows/Keller/Newman IMO. I think that last package is far away the weakest.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 06:44 AM)
Easily Meadows/Keller/Newman IMO. I think that last package is far away the weakest.

I can respect that, the third package to me is the right amount of both upside and depth.

QUOTE (beautox @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 07:03 AM)
I can respect that, the third package to me is the right amount of both upside and depth.

I'll be honest, I don't know much about Hearn, but to me Newman is a far better prospect than Hayes and Hearn doesn't change the value equation enough to make up for that difference. Having said that, I'd still do that third deal. Hell, I'd do Meadows/Keller/Craig, and Hayes is a better prospect so no complaining there.

I also don't think it's an unreasonable offer. Doesn't come close to gutting their system. And gives them an opportunity to go for it this year and potentially pivot at the deadline and deal McCutchen and/or Cole. They may miss Meadows if that happens, but I'm sure they can land a near major league ready OF prospect by cashing in those chips (assuming some rebound by McCutchen).

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 06:02 AM)
The one thing not being mentioned about Albies is the major injury he had last season. He fractured his right elbow swinging a bat. Numerous medical have written this can be a precursor of a reoccurrence of the same injury happening again. There is no way I want Albies in the deal until I see him healthy and playing for at least a half of season. Albies is the same type of injury that normally happens to a pitcher, such as Dave Dravecky and Tom Browning which ended their careers. Very unusual to see this with hitters. I'm out on Albies for the time being.

You shouldn't worry about the injury. The injuries you are comparing them to are totally different. In the case of the pitchers they fractured the humerus which is very uncommon and really hard to do and thus are big worries because there needed to be a significant defect in the bone for it to occur. Albies just had a fracture of the olecranon on the ulna (the bump that sticks out when you bend your elbow). The happens when you forcefully extend your elbow and "chip off" a piece of it. I've seen it many times in laborers even with perfectly healthy bones. In baseball players it is rare, I've only seen a couple of them but it's not a sign of bone defects to worry abour for the future.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 07:35 AM)
You shouldn't worry about the injury. The injuries you are comparing them to are totally different. In the case of the pitchers they fractured the humerus which is very uncommon and really hard to do and thus are big worries because there needed to be a significant defect in the bone for it to occur. Albies just had a fracture of the olecranon on the ulna (the bump that sticks out when you bend your elbow). The happens when you forcefully extend your elbow and "chip off" a piece of it. I've seen it many times in laborers even with perfectly healthy bones. In baseball players it is rare, I've only seen a couple of them but it's not a sign of bone defects to worry abour for the future.

Great information. Thanks PTATC

Edited by PolishPrince34

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 07:25 AM)
I'll be honest, I don't know much about Hearn, but to me Newman is a far better prospect than Hayes and Hearn doesn't change the value equation enough to make up for that difference. Having said that, I'd still do that third deal. Hell, I'd do Meadows/Keller/Craig, and Hayes is a better prospect so no complaining there.

I also don't think it's an unreasonable offer. Doesn't come close to gutting their system. And gives them an opportunity to go for it this year and potentially pivot at the deadline and deal McCutchen and/or Cole. They may miss Meadows if that happens, but I'm sure they can land a near major league ready OF prospect by cashing in those chips (assuming some rebound by McCutchen).

I agree I'm not opposed to getting someone like Newman as the third piece leaving him at short and if the time comes moving him from the organization to fufill a need somewhere else. I also think those aren't unreasonable packages, the pirates get to compete in the short term and if they fall flat can move McCutchen and Cole to restock; as others have posted they're set across most of the diamond and Polanco or Marte could move to CF, lessening Meadows value within their organization and opening them up to find a near major league ready lf prospect if they fall out of it.

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 07:24 AM)
I'm not especially familiar with the Braves system, but would Albies, Newcomb, Acuna/Maitan, and Riley be too much of an ask from them?

All depends on what site you look at but according to BA (before Gohara trade):

Albies (#2 prospect, behind Swanson so essentially #1)

Acuna/Maitan (#6,#7)

Newcomb (#8 prospect)

Riley (outside top 10)

For a rebuilding team like the Braves that might be too much to give up depending on how they view Newcomb. I've seen him as high as #4 in their top ten in other places. I've also seen Acuna as high as #2 at Baseball Prospectus. Got to figure it's really hard for the Braves FO to trade Acuna or Maitan though because they really don't know what they have on their hands yet. They could be the next Bryant or Correa so it's really hard to value them properly with so little experience. In Maitan's case, he literally hasn't played yet in pro ball. And yes, they could just as easily be the next Beckham.

QUOTE (beautox @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 06:32 AM)

Meadows/Keller/Newman

Of those three?

Meadows/Keller/Newman is easily the best package

I'd be down for a Meadows/Glasnow/Newman package

For anyone else interested - here is a look at some #11-#20 prospects for the Braves. Some intriguing names that would look nice as a 3rd or 4th pieces after Albies/Newcomb.

http://tomahawktake.com/2016/10/21/atlanta...spects-11-20/2/

I don't typically like Fansided articles as they can be too generic, but this is written from what seems like a scout's point of view. Dustin Peterson is a guy I've actually never heard of but raked last year in AA.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 08:39 AM)
Acuna is a lot of projection but quick bat and strong hands is intriguing. If we get Albies/Acuna then I would lean braves unless Pirates truly bring in Meadows or New York comes in with Torres.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/prospect...hp?reportid=397

Solid scouting report, but most of it is projection at this point. The game power has not materialized as of yet.

So you're suggesting something along the lines of a: Albies + Newcomb + Acuna + Flyer deal?

Thanks for posting the links for Braves prospects.

Looks like Acuna's stock has risen quite a bit so I'm curious how much that additional value affects trade talks in a potential deal for Q. Acuna is a nice bat but I'm really intrigued by Austin Riley. Wonder if Albie's/Newcomb/Acuna/Riley is too much to ask.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 12, 2017 -> 09:55 AM)
Today is the day we get a concrete tweet from Nightengale/Rosenthal/Hayes about the Braves interest. And then we proceed to speculate and talk about that for about 5 days.

I base that first sentence off nothing.

You are so dead on.

I welcome Braves talk. I get to research their farm system.

These Q threads have made me more knowledgeable overall. The only positive from all this teasing is researching these players and being a better baseball fan for it.