Update: Luis Robert has been cleared according to Rosenthal

maggsmaggs

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 18, 2017 -> 12:13 PM)
I still have a hard time seeing the Sox outbidding all of the teams who are already over the caps for this year if he is cleared early.

Sox do have money to spend, but I can't see them going nuts in a bidding war either

Teams already over have more incentive to continue to spend, but I would not rule the White Sox out if they feel strongly enough about him

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Apr 18, 2017 -> 12:18 PM)
Sox do have money to spend, but I can't see them going nuts in a bidding war either

Teams already over have more incentive to continue to spend, but I would not rule the White Sox out if they feel strongly enough about him

Thats just it. If they are loving this guy I can totally see them going all in on a bidding war. They have money to spend and this guy fits in like a glove as far as age to this rebuild.

If they arent totally sold on him I dont think they will get him though because you will have to pay greatly to outbid the other teams.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Apr 18, 2017 -> 12:18 PM)

I know history isn't on the side of this, but I think they will spend. Part of it is because they've already dumped some salary, and a lot more will be coming off the books soon, via trades, contracts expiring, etc. And they know they aren't expected to spend a dime next winter. This is it.

If they want to keep the fans motivated through this rebuild, there probably isn't a bigger thing they can do than sign Luis Robert. Now with that said, if he reaches Moncada money and you're talking $62 mil between the signing bonus and penalty...that I just can't see JR doing. But I'm not sure any of the mentioned teams contending for him would go that far. So I'm going to go out on a limb and say yes the Sox will splurge here. They have to, more than any of the other teams listed as major contenders for him.

QUOTE (Soha @ Apr 18, 2017 -> 12:25 PM)
I know history isn't on the side of this, but I think they will spend. Part of it is because they've already dumped some salary, and a lot more will be coming off the books soon, via trades, contracts expiring, etc. And they know they aren't expected to spend a dime next winter. This is it.

If they want to keep the fans motivated through this rebuild, there probably isn't a bigger thing they can do than sign Luis Robert. Now with that said, if he reaches Moncada money and you're talking $62 mil between the signing bonus and penalty...that I just can't see JR doing. But I'm not sure any of the mentioned teams contending for him would go that far. So I'm going to go out on a limb and say yes the Sox will splurge here. They have to, more than any of the other teams listed as major contenders for him.

Yeah I just don't see there being the market for Moncada money. The teams that truly don't care about budget are not in it. When he gets to the $10 mill point there will likely be heavy pressure at that point.

The cards are for real though, they have incentive to spend with the draft pick going to the Astros. To me they are biggest threat. Hopefully the connection with Chicago WHite Sox and Cuba can help there.

This doesn't change anything. He was always likely to be cleared in this current period. It's tough for MLB to justify holding him out until J2 because he's established residency. The Sox have no excuse not to get him if they want him. They should be able to outspend San Diego, Houston, St. Louis, and Cincinnati. They also don't have any agreements for top players in next period which tells me they will be all in on this guy. If they miss on him, and then don't have agreements with guys for upcoming J2 period, they've really botched this thing. I think they are one of the primary contenders for him like Badler confirmed on twitter today.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 18, 2017 -> 12:44 PM)
This doesn't change anything. He was always likely to be cleared in this current period. It's tough for MLB to justify holding him out until J2 because he's established residency. The Sox have no excuse not to get him if they want him. They should be able to outspend San Diego, Houston, St. Louis, and Cincinnati. They also don't have any agreements for top players in next period which tells me they will be all in on this guy. If they miss on him, and then don't have agreements with guys for upcoming J2 period, they've really botched this thing. I think they are one of the primary contenders for him like Badler confirmed on twitter today.

I fully expect the Sox to be very involved on Robert

You're right, there is really no excuse for them to play poor and not make a strong bid for a player our system could really use

We have really no huge contracts on the books beyond the end of next season, and investing in the farm is crucial for a rebuilding club.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 18, 2017 -> 12:44 PM)

Not that I'm disagreeing with you, but where have you seen this?

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 18, 2017 -> 12:57 PM)
Thanks.

Was it known months in advance that they had agreements in place prior to the J2 signing periods? I can't remember.

I think we knew we had at least had Josue Guerrero rumored at this point.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 18, 2017 -> 12:57 PM)
Thanks.

Was it known months in advance that they had agreements in place prior to the J2 signing periods? I can't remember.

Yeah. Typically the first wave gets announced in late February. Here's a mini timeline: Robert was rumored as next big thing. Hahn and Marco Paddy talked about how they'd be active in July 2nd period that starts this coming July. I assumed that if Robert was cleared in this timeframe, the Sox wouldn't be able to sign him because they would be reneging on rumored agreements for next period. Then the Sox were mentioned as a team to watch for Robert. In late February, Ben Badler wrote an article talking about a lot of the top guys for this coming July 2nd Period. The White Sox aren't linked to any of them.

If Robert were cleared in next period, Sox could sign him for $8.3 million and use majority of their pool. If he's cleared sooner, they can pay him anything but have to pay a 100% tax and can't sign anyone in the next period which starts on July 2. Foregoing the next period ins't that big of a deal though because they don't have agreements with top guys anyway.

Make sense?

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Apr 18, 2017 -> 01:17 PM)
As far as I'm concerned, the Sox need to sign him at whatever price. Elite talents like Robert don't come along often...especially ones that fit the "window" to a tee.

It's very likely that the front office agrees with you

Otani is not likely a realistic target, but I can see the Sox going all in on a talent like Robert

We're all guessing the plan looks something like:

1) Sign Robert at nearly any cost within reason

2) Scout and Draft well with #11 pick and subsequent rounds

3) Leverage what trade assets you have between now and the deadline (Quintana, Robertson, Frazier, Cabrera, etc.) to boost the farm

4) Be prepared to spend on international and/or mlb free agents that fit into our rebuild

QUOTE (Nokona @ Apr 18, 2017 -> 04:34 PM)
Go all in.

He'd be like getting a #1 pick. You leverage that with our 11 & a future top 5 (top 3?) pick next year and we've done some major overhauling to the top end of our system even without the trades.

Can't see Hahn and Co. letting Robert get away unless the money ended up being astronomical

Even those teams with incentive to exceed the spending cap have limitations on how much of ownership's money they can sink into a single prospect

We should be in fine shape to make a run for him

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 18, 2017 -> 10:59 PM)
I'm not 100% on this, but I was told he postponed. As in it will still happen in the future.

On the field, Robert had a private workout with the Astros at their complex in the Dominican Republic, where he hit a home run against live pitching. After that, Robert postponed workouts with other clubs, with Robert’s camp informing those teams that Robert had come down with the flu.

Robert does have a private workout scheduled for Friday with the Athletics and next week with the Reds, Baseball America has learned. The White Sox, Padres and Cardinals are among the other teams also expected to hold individual workouts with Robert. ~ Ben Badler link

That's what's in the article, he postponed them due to the flu. Poor phrasing on my part with the "cancelled" drop, but yeah he was sick and didn't hold them. The Sox had the workout scheduled, but didn't get to actually work him out, but are expected to in the future.

Edited by Sleepy Harold