Teams have upped their offers in Q derby in the last week

Al Lopez's Ghost

The Cubs aren't trading for Quintana, at least not at this point in time.

IMO, this thing comes down to three teams: Houston, Pittsburgh, & Atlanta. If Martes is really off limits, then I don't consider the Astros serious players. I believe the Braves are actually interested in Q, but I'm guessing any deal would need to be on their terms. That leaves the Pirates and I think they're the one team that might blink as we approach spring training. The team has a lot of talent, but desperately needs to add a TOR starter if they want even a solid chance of competing for a wild card spot. Quintana's contract is a perfect match for them and allows them to pivot in a year or two if things don't work out as well as they hope. A deal just makes too much sense for them and ultimately I think they cave. If Meadows & Bell are truly untouchables, then I could see a middle ground being Glasnow, Keller, Newman, & Craig. Hahn stated very clearly at SoxFest that it was too early to focus on specific needs when trading our assets and I think the package above would be way too much talent to pass up on.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 09:21 AM)
One of the guys over at Viva El Birdos cooked up a trade proposal for the Cards to end up with Q.

Luke Weaver, Magneuris Sierra, Austin Gomber, Connor Jones, and Lance Lynn for Q.

http://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2017/1/30/1442...-trade-proposal

Not a fan of that deal and I feel other teams could beat that offer

I'm not saying those prospects aren't good, but Quintana is more valuable than a depth package like that

It's also the wrong type of package, as it's primarily pitching as the return when we needs bats

I don't love any of the Cardinals position player prospects enough to build a deal around that

Any Q deal would have to start with Reyes + two more good prospects like Bader and Perez

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 09:21 AM)
One of the guys over at Viva El Birdos cooked up a trade proposal for the Cards to end up with Q.

Luke Weaver, Magneuris Sierra, Austin Gomber, Connor Jones, and Lance Lynn for Q.

Thats a garbage proposal, its taking all your spare parts and trying to turn them into one of the best pitchers in baseball. They are trying to compose a trade without causing any real disruption in their talent pipeline, the problem for them is, acquiring someone like Q fundamentally requires some level of disruption.

Sierra, Perez, Flaherty are the base of any deal for me involving Q and the Cards. There would have to be a couple more pieces as well, but those are a lot more negoitiable.

It also postulates that the Cards can dump Lynn into the trade because he has no value to them this season and is coming off TJS and is headed to FA. Not sure why that would have any value to the Sox.

Edited by IowaSoxFan

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 10:59 AM)

IMO, this thing comes down to three teams: Houston, Pittsburgh, & Atlanta. If Martes is really off limits, then I don't consider the Astros serious players. I believe the Braves are actually interested in Q, but I'm guessing any deal would need to be on their terms. That leaves the Pirates and I think they're the one team that might blink as we approach spring training. The team has a lot of talent, but desperately needs to add a TOR starter if they want even a solid chance of competing for a wild card spot. Quintana's contract is a perfect match for them and allows them to pivot in a year or two if things don't work out as well as they hope. A deal just makes too much sense for them and ultimately I think they cave. If Meadows & Bell are truly untouchables, then I could see a middle ground being Glasnow, Keller, Newman, & Craig. Hahn stated very clearly at SoxFest that it was too early to focus on specific needs when trading our assets and I think the package above would be way too much talent to pass up on.

If Hahn took that and flipped either Giolito/Glasnow for a guy like Rodgers/Frazier/Rutherford, I'd be happy.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 11:01 AM)
Not a fan of that deal and I feel other teams could beat that offer

I'm not saying those prospects aren't good, but Quintana is more valuable than a depth package like that

It's also the wrong type of package, as it's primarily pitching as the return when we needs bats

I don't love any of the Cardinals position player prospects enough to build a deal around that

Any Q deal would have to start with Reyes + two more good prospects like Bader and Perez

Reyes isn't happening, he is on the same line with Bregman and Turner as guys that have roles on the ML roster of teams trying to compete.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 11:02 AM)
If Hahn took that and flipped either Giolito/Glasnow for a guy like Rodgers/Frazier/Rutherford, I'd be happy.

Those types of trades don't go down all that often, as teams like to keep their home grown talent unless they trade prospects for proven mlb talent

Any Quintana deal should be for prospects we fully plan on keeping in the organization

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 10:21 AM)

This reminds me of the guy in fantasy football who offers his whole bench for your star RB.

I get this feeling that the Sox aren't in love with with what Pittsburgh is willing to offer for Quintana at all. If they were willing to take a deal without Bell or Meadows Q would be on the Pirates by now

If Houston is making Martes and Musgrove unavailable there's no way a deal happens

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 12:12 PM)
I get this feeling that the Sox aren't in love with with what Pittsburgh is willing to offer for Quintana at all. If they were willing to take a deal without Bell or Meadows Q would be on the Pirates by now

If Houston is making Martes and Musgrove unavailable there's no way a deal happens

Beauty of all of this, is even if we go to the deadline with Q, it's very likely other prospects emerge (and others fall). So it won't be a static landscape as far as prospects available

The Sox could easily make a deal with Houston as long as Tucker is on the table. Musgrove was never happening, because it never made sense for the Astros to trade him, and Martes was always take-it-or-leave-it for me.

If the Sox aren't getting a true blue chipper like Meadows (and the injury risk on him is alarming) or Torres then I'd prefer a depth package that strengthens the Sox org at multiple positions. Demanding Martes just because MLB.com just ranked him at 20 ignores the rest of the Astros system which is definitely capable of making up for the exclusion of Martes with an inclusion of quantity.

My favorite is still the Braves just because they have so many interesting things.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 11:18 AM)
Beauty of all of this, is even if we go to the deadline with Q, it's very likely other prospects emerge (and others fall). So it won't be a static landscape as far as prospects available

I'd rather wait and see the market at the deadline, no reason to rush the process

You can also evaluate what else you might need depending on who the Sox select in the draft (we have #11, #49 and #87 overall)

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 11:21 AM)
The Sox could easily make a deal with Houston as long as Tucker is on the table. Musgrove was never happening, because it never made sense for the Astros to trade him, and Martes was always take-it-or-leave-it for me.

If the Sox aren't getting a true blue chipper like Meadows (and the injury risk on him is alarming) or Torres then I'd prefer a depth package that strengthens the Sox org at multiple positions. Demanding Martes just because MLB.com just ranked him at 20 ignores the rest of the Astros system which is definitely capable of making up for the exclusion of Martes with an inclusion of quantity.

My favorite is still the Braves just because they have so many interesting things.

If the pricetag of a Quintana deal was merely a depth package then over half the mlb would be calling the Sox right now

I really don't see the Sox lowering their pricetag after getting what they wanted for Sale and Eaton

I don't think any teams are all that serious right now. The Pirates and Astros are offering "rental" type offers for Quintana. With four years' control, it's simply not acceptable to have so many off limits prospects. I doubt the "win now" mentality of the Pirates. If they were truly in win now mode, trade Bell and sign, as an example, old buddy Pedro Alvarez to play 1B for a year. Or trade Meadows and run with your three above-average major league OFs already on the roster. The Astros as hesitant to part with Francis Martes... a guy who ranks worse than Glasnow, who himself is not considered a slam dunk headliner. I'm sorry, but no. I don't think the Cubs, Rockies, Dodgers or Yankees are interested in making a deal now, but they have the goods to make it happen in July, since the Pirates and Astros are, IMO, considerably short on value.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 11:02 AM)

Speaking of the Cubs, now that's where you might get Theo to bite. He's already said they over-drafted hitters because they are worth more and they intended all along to trade some of the hitters for pitching. Maybe the Chapman trade finished that off....or maybe not?

What if the Sox made that trade with Pittsburgh, then flipped Glasnow and Jones to the Cubs for Eloy Jimenez? Which side says no to that? The Cubs get a top notch reliever and a stud pitching prospect in the general range of where Jimenez is ranked.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 11:30 AM)
I don't think any teams are all that serious right now. The Pirates and Astros are offering "rental" type offers for Quintana. With four years' control, it's simply not acceptable to have so many off limits prospects. I doubt the "win now" mentality of the Pirates. If they were truly in win now mode, trade Bell and sign, as an example, old buddy Pedro Alvarez to play 1B for a year. Or trade Meadows and run with your three above-average major league OFs already on the roster. The Astros as hesitant to part with Francis Martes... a guy who ranks worse than Glasnow, who himself is not considered a slam dunk headliner. I'm sorry, but no. I don't think the Cubs, Rockies, Dodgers or Yankees are interested in making a deal now, but they have the goods to make it happen in July, since the Pirates and Astros are, IMO, considerably short on value.

Exactly

Sox want to see if contenders like: Houston, Texas, Dodgers, Cubs, Blue Jays, etc. have deadline need for pitching and are willing to fork over the big haul

The offers they are getting now maybe account for two years worth of Quintana, not 4 cost controlled seasons

QUOTE (Soha @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 11:35 AM)
Speaking of the Cubs, now that's where you might get Theo to bite. He's already said they over-drafted hitters because they are worth more and they intended all along to trade some of the hitters for pitching. Maybe the Chapman trade finished that off....or maybe not?

What if the Sox made that trade with Pittsburgh, then flipped Glasnow and Jones to the Cubs for Eloy Jimenez? Which side says no to that? The Cubs get a top notch reliever and a stud pitching prospect in the general range of where Jimenez is ranked.

Glasnow is ranked higher than Jimenez.

If I'm doing Glasnow + Jones, I need Jimenez, Candelario and some interesting arm.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 11:41 AM)

If I'm doing Glasnow + Jones, I need Jimenez, Candelario and some interesting arm.

Candelario is nearly mlb ready and totally blocked by the Cubs current mlb roster. They seem to be pretty much forced to trade him at some point, because their infield is set for the next 5 years

Even if they convert him to OF, they have other OF options as well

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 11:41 AM)

The take I'm getting from all these off-season moves and rumors is that hitters are worth more than pitchers. That's why I figured we would have to throw in Jones to get Theo to consider.

QUOTE (Soha @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 11:46 AM)
The take I'm getting from all these off-season moves and rumors is that hitters are worth more than pitchers. That's why I figured we would have to throw in Jones to get Theo to consider.

Eh, this offseason is weird. Glasnow-Jimenez is a swap. Jones has significant value on his own.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 11:47 AM)
Eh, this offseason is weird. Glasnow-Jimenez is a swap. Jones has significant value on his own.

Oh I know Jones has big value. I'm looking at Jimenez as someone who could be one of the top 2 or 3 prospects in baseball, and it might not be very far away. He might be untradable soon, if that isn't the case already.

If Jones repeats something close to his 2016 performance he could be a hot commodity at the deadline to a contender

He would fit well as a setup man on a playoff team and has a cheap contract

That alone makes him worth keeping to shop mid season

Glasnow for Jimenez would be an interestin deal, though I would value Jimenez much higher because of the walk issues with Glasnow.