Teams have upped their offers in Q derby in the last week

Al Lopez's Ghost

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Feb 7, 2017 -> 10:24 PM)
They should be.

Their rotation is awful.

Don't think they're really that sincere about competing yet. Bad contracts off the books this year (including A-Rod). I bet they just horde prospects for a year and sign a couple guys next off-season.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 8, 2017 -> 06:22 AM)
Agreed. They would have been involved in Sale talks and made a few others significant adds.

I don't see the Yankees getting involved with the justifiably high cost when they are not likely to contend in 2017. Although they could be back in contention within a session or two

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Feb 8, 2017 -> 07:47 AM)
I don't see the Yankees getting involved with the justifiably high cost when they are not likely to contend in 2017. Although they could be back in contention within a session or two

Yeah it's possible they use this year to see what they have in some of the youngsters. Next off-season, they can deal for Q if he isn't traded before then (which he probably will) and sign another starter. The following off-season, they can sign one of Harper/Machado or maybe Harper + Donaldson.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 8, 2017 -> 08:05 AM)
Pretty random, bold claim by Mr. Allen haha that doesn't usually happen.

I just think with spring training getting close, and most of the teams supposedly in on Q training in Florida, getting this done asap should be a priority now. If it were a bunch of AZ teams, as silly as it may seem, I think there would be more time. I would think the team acquiring him would want him as comfortable as can be, and getting traded can't be so comfortable.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 8, 2017 -> 08:10 AM)
I just think with spring training getting close, and most of the teams supposedly in on Q training in Florida, getting this done asap should be a priority now. If it were a bunch of AZ teams, as silly as it may seem, I think there would be more time. I would think the team acquiring him would want him as comfortable as can be, and getting traded can't be so comfortable.

I hope you're right. I don't think any of can take 6 more months of rumors on Quintana haha

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 8, 2017 -> 10:01 AM)
Yeah it's possible they use this year to see what they have in some of the youngsters. Next off-season, they can deal for Q if he isn't traded before then (which he probably will) and sign another starter. The following off-season, they can sign one of Harper/Machado or maybe Harper + Donaldson.

They could very well be the ideal team to be involved at the trade deadline. If they're in the game for the wild card at that time, which they have a shot at being...pitching will be on their list of needs, and they won't want whatever they acquire to impact their ability to spend in FA.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 8, 2017 -> 08:22 AM)
They could very well be the ideal team to be involved at the trade deadline. If they're in the game for the wild card at that time, which they have a shot at being...pitching will be on their list of needs, and they won't want whatever they acquire to impact their ability to spend in FA.

True, but there should also be rentals available that will cost a lot less (not just talking top tier potential free agents but guys who may be throwing a career year that could be available).

Nightengale saying Astros want one more starter for their rotation per their owner before the season starts and ideally its Quintana or Gray on mlb network this morning. Not anything new per se.

QUOTE (beautox @ Feb 8, 2017 -> 08:36 AM)
Nightengale saying Astros want one more starter for their rotation per their owner before the season starts and ideally its Quintana or Gray on mlb network this morning. Not anything new per se.

I think they will end up caving. No way A's sell low on Gray and to a division rival.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 8, 2017 -> 08:38 AM)
I think they will end up caving. No way A's sell low on Gray and to a division rival.

I feel the same way. I think Jennings gets paired with him and its a 4-2 or 5-2 deal with Martes and Tucker coming back and some combination of Reed/Perez/Laureano/Stubbs

QUOTE (beautox @ Feb 8, 2017 -> 09:44 AM)
I feel the same way. I think Jennings gets paired with him and its a 4-2 or 5-2 deal with Martes and Tucker coming back and some combination of Reed/Perez/Laureano/Stubbs

Good call. 5 for 2 would be great. Q and Jennings for Martes, Tucker, Reed, Perez, and Laureano seems fair.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 8, 2017 -> 09:04 AM)
I have no information, but I do think today is a day something happens.

If Q reads this board, he has probably spent the last month visiting the team shrink on a daily basis. Hopefully all the Q talk in the media does not affect his mental state when he arrives in ST this weekend.

QUOTE (beautox @ Feb 8, 2017 -> 08:44 AM)

Hahn has continued to insist that the White Sox will not compromise on Quintana...meaning they still are firm on the Musgrove + Martes + Tucker asking price

I'd be open to a depth package, but if no Musgrove then I'd need Franklin Perez and AJ Reed to make up for it

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Feb 8, 2017 -> 09:07 AM)
Hahn has continued to insist that the White Sox will not compromise on Quintana...meaning they still are firm on the Musgrove + Martes + Tucker asking price

I'd be open to a depth package, but if no Musgrove then I'd need Franklin Perez and AJ Reed to make up for it

Agreed. Personally, I don't need Musgrove if it makes the rest of the package weaker on the position player side.

The Astros do not have a single grade A prospect and I doubt Hahn trades Q for a bunch of Bstuff.

"Grade A prospects are the elite. In theory, they have a good chance of becoming stars or superstars. Theoretically, most Grade A prospects develop into stars or at least major league regulars, if injuries or other problems don’t intervene. Note that is a major "if" in some cases.

Grade B prospects have a good chance to enjoy successful careers. Some will develop into stars, some will not. Most end up spending several years in the majors, at the very least in a marginal role."

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2016/12/12/...spects-for-2017

Some fans are getting ridiculous when they devalue Q and over-value B rated minor leaguers. There is no equivalency, no recognition of how hard it is to get a top of rotation pitcher who is durable and is under a reasonable Contract for 4 years. Meanwhile B prospects are plentiful on any teams top twenty prospect list.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Feb 8, 2017 -> 09:22 AM)
The Astros do not have a single grade A prospect and I doubt Hahn trades Q for a bunch of Bstuff.

"Grade A prospects are the elite. In theory, they have a good chance of becoming stars or superstars. Theoretically, most Grade A prospects develop into stars or at least major league regulars, if injuries or other problems don’t intervene. Note that is a major "if" in some cases.

Grade B prospects have a good chance to enjoy successful careers. Some will develop into stars, some will not. Most end up spending several years in the majors, at the very least in a marginal role."

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2016/12/12/...spects-for-2017

Some fans are getting ridiculous when they devalue Q and over-value B rated minor leaguers. There is no equivalency, no recognition of how hard it is to get a top of rotation pitcher who is durable and is under a reasonable Contract for 4 years. Meanwhile B prospects are plentiful on any teams top twenty prospect list.

That is very true

I'd grade Musgrove, Martes and Tucker all as B+ prospects right now

Send those three over and I think a deal gets done

Take out Musgrove and I need 2 additional B prospects

I don't want to beat a dead horse here and I know we're on our 10th dead horse, but the Astros make too much sense. It's a lot of posturing, but if the OWNER says to do something then the GM will most likely listen.

We already know what the Astros are saying is a lie because it was leaked about the Archer deal. I can totally see a package of prospects going from the Astros to the Rays or Sox.

We shall see.

In other news, how boring is it when there's little excitement for baseball?? I'll be following the minors more than the majors this year. Weird.