2017 International Signings

NCsoxfan

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 06:44 PM)
100% agreed and it's not a debate for me. I think SS2K5 is being contrarian in this thread just for the fun of it.

It is about being realistic based on the history of the franchise, and not living in a fantasy world.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 07:54 PM)
It is about being realistic based on the history of the franchise, and not living in a fantasy world.

How is the idea of the Sox signing Robert a fantasy? Reputable sources have mentioned it as a possibility. It's not like we're grasping for this rumor out of thin air.

Just because signing a guy like him isn't something the Sox would've done in the past doesn't mean they can't change their ways.

Edited by ChiSoxFanMike

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 08:00 PM)
How is the idea of the Sox signing Robert a fantasy? Reputable sources have mentioned it as a possibility. It's not like we're grasping for this rumor out of thin air.

Just because signing a guy like him isn't something the Sox would've done in the past doesn't mean they can't change their ways.

Hey Donald Trump could become a great President too, but I am not holding my breath for that moment either.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 08:06 PM)
Hey Donald Trump could become President too, but I am not holding my breath for that moment either.

FIFY. Honestly though, it's pretty clear the Sox have historically allocated more resources to their major league team than their minor league system. That's going to change under a rebuild, so I'm not sure why you're completely ruling it out. I mean the biggest contract in franchise is a Cuban free agent signing. I don't see money being an issue here. If it's about the penalties they'll incure, I think you're overrating those. Robert is a stud and would instantly add an elite positional talent to a system desperate for one.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 07:54 PM)

I understand this point. My opinion changed yesterday though when Badler jumped on board and BA pumped the article 3 times and even mentioned White Sox as favorites. Badler doesn't get this s*** wrong.

And while it may be a small consideration, I'll add that this type of signing would create some positive PR for the rebuild. The Cubs signing Soler was a big deal to their fanbase and this type of move would be no different for us. Let me be clear here, Hahn should not be making moves simply to appease the fans, but if you're looking for reason why the Sox may not continue to operate in the same fashion it always has, this is just one small reason of many and ultimately all ties back to rebuilding. Operational norms must change during a rebuild because short-term goals are now radically different. We shouldn't expect the same old Sox anymore.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 3, 2017 -> 02:17 AM)
And while it may be a small consideration, I'll add that this type of signing would create some positive PR for the rebuild. The Cubs signing Soler was a big deal to their fanbase and this type of move would be no different for us. Let me be clear here, Hahn should not be making moves simply to appease the fans, but if you're looking for reason why the Sox may not continue to operate in the same fashion it always has, this is just one small reason of many and ultimately all ties back to rebuilding. Operational norms must change during a rebuild because short-term goals are now radically different. We shouldn't expect the same old Sox anymore.

The other thing is they have always had the idea of spending on the big league roster and less in the minors side. With them now trading off of the big league roster and not adding players to it with any major financial deals they better be using the money in the minors including spending on international market

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 09:06 PM)
Hey Donald Trump could become a great President too, but I am not holding my breath for that moment either.

Sounds like you had a few cocktails before you hit the "Send" button, Southsider? Been reading a few liberal rags lately? Keep posting your political nonsense so we can all see how sanctimonious you are.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Mar 3, 2017 -> 07:10 AM)
The other thing is they have always had the idea of spending on the big league roster and less in the minors side. With them now trading off of the big league roster and not adding players to it with any major financial deals they better be using the money in the minors including spending on international market

Maybe they'll bank it for a couple of years so they can spend it on a couple of FA when they get good.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Mar 3, 2017 -> 07:15 AM)
Sounds like you had a few cocktails before you hit the "Send" button, Southsider? Been reading a few liberal rags lately? Keep posting your political nonsense so we can all see how sanctimonious you are.

Hi old white male person.

This Will be the first international signing in which the Sox are in rebuild mode. So diving in doesn't necessarily represent a complete about-face regarding the prior approach. Remember just before the last signing period, the Sox traded their probably best international signee for James Shields; now that they're in rebuild mode, perhaps it is logical from the Sox perspective to put the money into player development and signings versus money into stop gap veterans. They are just shifting the resources to younger talent.

The only real analytical stretch is that it assumes that the Front Office will act rationally, which they don't always do.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 04:24 PM)
A lot of teams would. All of the hypothetical and made up scenarios in the world doesn't change the fact that we are talking about the Chicago White Sox here. Their entire history of doing business in Latin America quantity over quality. Until they actually do something to change that, I am going to bank on them doing the same thing they have always done.

Me admitting something for some reason is 100% immaterial to how the Chicago White Sox actually conduct their business. It is no different to me than think the team whose biggest contract is their history is $68 million dollars is going not to come out of no where and bid $200 million for a free agent. Until it actually happens, I am going to doubt it will happen, because it never has happened. No amount of make believe is going to change the White Sox history here.

And how has that approached worked for them? You know the old saying: "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while". Maybe, just maybe, a light bulb went off over the head of someone in the Sox FO that is causing them to perhaps now change course from a failed philosophy and approach.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 3, 2017 -> 08:55 AM)
Hi old white male person.

So now our sanctimonious cynic makes disparaging commentary about old people, white people, and men. What higher moral ground did you come from?

What did you do for kicks today, Southsider? Set fire to a police car? Throw some rocks? Complain about whatever it is that people like you complain about? Maybe you gave the finger to a policeman after he could no longer see you? Organize some protest march? Or maybe just follow along and join one?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 3, 2017 -> 01:26 PM)
Amused as I am that SS2K5 is being called out for being a liberal riot-starter, the politics need to end now, or take it to the Buster. Any further political posts in this thread will be deleted.

It was absolutely unnecessary and I am shocked that an admin of all people would derail a thread like that.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Mar 3, 2017 -> 12:10 PM)
So now our sanctimonious cynic makes disparaging commentary about old people, white people, and men. What higher moral ground did you come from?

What did you do for kicks today, Southsider? Set fire to a police car? Throw some rocks? Complain about whatever it is that people like you complain about? Maybe you gave the finger to a policeman after he could no longer see you? Organize some protest march? Or maybe just follow along and join one?

Well, for starters I said "hi".

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 3, 2017 -> 01:30 PM)
It was absolutely unnecessary and I am shocked that an admin of all people would derail a thread like that.

the overreaction was unnecessary, the comment was mild at best

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 3, 2017 -> 04:33 PM)
Careful, your bias is showing.

Mike, I like you and appreciate your posting, but you seriously need to stop with your petty comments towards admins when anyone disagrees with you. If you want to hold Admins/Mods to a higher standard, please hold yourself to it.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 3, 2017 -> 05:03 PM)
Mike, I like you and appreciate your posting, but you seriously need to stop with your petty comments towards admins when anyone disagrees with you. If you want to hold Admins/Mods to a higher standard, please hold yourself to it.

I respect the mods/admins to the fullest. I'm just saying that if any random Joe Schmo member brought up politics in a Sox thread, they would've been punished for it. That's all.

Edited by ChiSoxFanMike

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 3, 2017 -> 06:20 PM)
I respect the mods/admins to the fullest. I'm just saying that if any random Joe Schmo member brought up politics in a Sox thread, they would've been punished for it. That's all.

I didn't really want to derail the thread to play into the victim complexes at work here, but when it comes to what the leadership group does here, I do take offense to this.

That whole idea is just silly. It is actually not very easy to actually get punished on Soxtalk. We pass out warnings like Tylenol instead of suspending people. We shutdown threads instead of suspending people. Most people who do get suspended are passing the same line multiple times over a period of time to get punished. It takes an insane amount of pushing it to get punished beyond a suspension. Heck over the time that Soxtalk has been around, we have probably let at least 10 people who have been banned for life come back to Soxtalk on a second or third chance. A few of them are still around today.

NO one is getting punished for a throw away comment. That isn't reality, and the fact that people might actually believe garbage like that is true does a gigantic disservice to everyone who is involved in day to day management of this board. People put a lot of time into Soxtalk to keep it going. The fact that this message board is still around and thriving in 2017 when the message board has in general gone the way of the dinosaur is a testament to the work that everyone here does. A post like this is complete slap in the face to the entire staff of Soxtalk, and I don't take it kindly. If that is really how you view this board, I think you are in the wrong place.

For my own sake, it was a throw away comment meant to be an absurdity used to demonstrate and contrast between possibility and probability based on history. I personally didn't anticipate someone's feelings actually being hurt by that statement, as I thought it was obvious enough where I didn't need to mark it in green text for the sarcasm-impaired. I definitely didn't think the second joke would lead to a real life personal attack. Obviously there are a couple of people who I need to be mindful of getting upset very easily around here, and will from now on.

And as always, if you do really have a problem with something, instead of derailing the discussion into someone much worse than what the comment did, PM someone and talk to them about instead of doing exactly what you are getting upset about in the first place, and flushing a thread down the toilet even worse than was already done. No matter what the perspection of the initial post was, posts like this only further degrade the integrity of the discussion.