President Donald Trump: The Thread

Steve9347

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Donald Trump's staff get him to agree to policies by saying 'Obama wouldn't have done it'

President only agreed to botched Yemen raid because military officials said predecessor would never do it, intelligence sources say

Mr Obama had reportedly been told about the plan to kill al Rimi, who took over control of the Yemeni affiliate of the terror organisation in 2015, but held off approving it because his advisors had wanted to wait until a moonless night which would not have happened again till after he left office, the New York Times reported.

But Defence Secretary, General James "Mad Dog" Mattis, and the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Joseph Dunford, reportedly convinced Mr Trump to go ahead with the raid by suggesting Mr Obama would never have been so bold as to actually go through with it.

They suggested that the death of al Rimi would be a “game changer” in the fight against al-Qaeda, according to a senior White House official.

So much for Mattis being the sane, stabilizing force.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 7, 2017 -> 11:41 AM)
DeVos has got to be the most plainly unqualified Cabinet member ever, right? At least since the modern, post-spoils system reforms in the late 19th century.

Yeah probably. I teach Special Ed Reading at a very good Junior High in Will County. She's terrible but at least the Department of Ed doesn't really have as much of an impact as people think. Mostly done at the state and local level. It'd still frightening that they bought her way to that job though.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 7, 2017 -> 12:30 PM)
Yeah probably. I teach Special Ed Reading at a very good Junior High in Will County. She's terrible but at least the Department of Ed doesn't really have as much of an impact as people think. Mostly done at the state and local level. It'd still frightening that they bought her way to that job though.

The hope is the GOP remembers it wants LESS governmental control. Because an unqualified moron just bought herself a cabinet position.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 7, 2017 -> 02:03 PM)
The hope is the GOP remembers it wants LESS governmental control. Because an unqualified moron just bought herself a cabinet position.

Me and my colleague were debating earlier how much actual money I'd pay to watch her get eaten by a grizzly bear.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 7, 2017 -> 02:05 PM)
Donald Trump lies yet again about the country's crime rate. Just about everything that comes out of his mouth or anyone from his team's mouth is false. http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/07/politics/don...ate-fact-check/

Just about everything he rips other people for supposedly doing or being, he is guilty doing or being, only he takes it a lot farther. It would be a fascinating study if he were still just "firing" people from a fake boardroom, but he has scary power now, and it looks like he is surrounded by enablers.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 7, 2017 -> 03:07 PM)
FAKE NEWS CNN!!!!

I think the scariest part of what is going on in this country right now is the complete disregard for actual facts. You have a guy who did nothing but make s*** up his entire campaign win the presidency and now you have a lot of his dumbass supporters believing everything he says even if it is directly contradicted by evidence. We are now a country that ignores facts and evidence and believes everything that the news says is "FAKE NEWS" (I know your post was in jest) when the actual fake news is coming from the president and his administration. Terrifying world.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 7, 2017 -> 02:16 PM)
I think the scariest part of what is going on in this country right now is the complete disregard for actual facts. You have a guy who did nothing but make s*** up his entire campaign win the presidency and now you have a lot of his dumbass supporters believing everything he says even if it is directly contradicted by evidence. We are now a country that ignores facts and evidence and believes everything that the news says is "FAKE NEWS" (I know your post was in jest) when the actual fake news is coming from the president and his administration. Terrifying world.

http://www.vox.com/2016/10/12/13255466/trump-murder-rate

Relevant here. Trump continues to claim that the US murder rate is at its highest level in 45 years when that could not be farther from the truth.

Nope! That was my way of pointing out that Trump has always been a racist delusional asshole.

Over the last several years, there has been bipartisan push back against asset forfeiture laws. These laws let law enforcement seize "evidence" in the form of cash, cars, or really anything of value when a crime has allegedly been committed. They hold these assets until the case is resolved in favor of a defendant, and even then it can be very difficult to recover the (essentially stolen) property. The programs are rife with examples of abuse by police forces. Under Obama, the federal government changed these rules briefly for federal law enforcement but then later reinstated them. That brings us to Trump, today:

During a White House listening session with law enforcement, Rockwall County Sheriff Harold Eavenson brought up a state senator who introduced a bill requiring that a suspect get convicted before their assets can be seized. Efforts to stop the practice of seizing assets before conviction have received bipartisan support in the state.

Trump responded by asking for the senator's name.

"Who is the state senator? Do you want to give his name? We'll destroy his career," Trump said, prompting laughter among those gathered at the meeting

Threatening to ruin the political careers of anyone who dare opposes your regime and bolstering authoritarian abuses by law enforcement.

QUOTE (KagakuOtoko @ Feb 7, 2017 -> 02:35 PM)
Republicans went full blown stupid with this confirmation. People were vehemently opposed to this woman. I get it, she donated money to your campaigns but she is legit about to destroy the future of many children.

Money talks, and always will. From alderman on up to the top of the food chain. You can literally buy anything in this country.

Trump has sheriffs in the White House, brags about how he is the first President to have them there. Talks about the sad situation in Chicago mentioning those sheriffs would clean it up immediately, then lies about the murder rate being the highest in 45-47 years. If that were true, aren't these sheriffs he is commending and saying would stop all the killing in Chicago, not able to stop the killing in their neck of the woods?

Obviously any murder rate should be considered too high, but if you really think about it, praising these law enforcement people then talking about murder rates being sky high is contradicting yourself.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 7, 2017 -> 02:03 PM)

I'm not sure what the freak out is over her. Is she unqualified? Sure. But the system works for the vast majority of Americans and that will not change. If anything she'll fail to help those most in need of it.....so she'll be the same as her predecessors in that regard.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 7, 2017 -> 03:51 PM)
Trump has sheriffs in the White House, brags about how he is the first President to have them there. Talks about the sad situation in Chicago mentioning those sheriffs would clean it up immediately, then lies about the murder rate being the highest in 45-47 years. If that were true, aren't these sheriffs he is commending and saying would stop all the killing in Chicago, not able to stop the killing in their neck of the woods?

Obviously any murder rate should be considered too high, but if you really think about it, praising these law enforcement people then talking about murder rates being sky high is contradicting yourself.

Those sheriffs would be doing an even better job if they could rough up more people who look the wrong way.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Feb 7, 2017 -> 03:01 PM)
I'm not sure what the freak out is over her. Is she unqualified? Sure. But the system works for the vast majority of Americans and that will not change. If anything she'll fail to help those most in need of it.....so she'll be the same as her predecessors in that regard.

Because of the s*** she implemented in Michigan and her desire to run those policies nationwide. Her methodologies are terrible and are detrimental to the quality of schools that our kids may attend.

But other than that...

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 7, 2017 -> 03:09 PM)
Because of the s*** she implemented in Michigan and her desire to run those policies nationwide. Her methodologies are terrible and are detrimental to the quality of schools that our kids may attend.

But other than that...

"Our kids." No, this may impact poor kids who already go to s***ty public schools. Now they'll just go to s***ty for-profit charter schools. "Our kids" will stay in good school systems.

edit: I'm not saying i'm thrilled about the choice. I just don't see it as some colossal failure either. She's going to fail like every other education secretary when trying to fix poor school systems/districts.

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Feb 7, 2017 -> 09:15 PM)
"Our kids." No, this may impact poor kids who already go to s***ty public schools. Now they'll just go to s***ty for-profit charter schools. "Our kids" will stay in good school systems.

Will they be as good when their funding starts getting transferred to private schools for the rich and religious?

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Feb 7, 2017 -> 09:15 PM)
edit: I'm not saying i'm thrilled about the choice. I just don't see it as some colossal failure either. She's going to fail like every other education secretary when trying to fix poor school systems/districts.

Even if you think the damage she can do is minimal; it's appalling that someone could so blatantly buy a cabinet position.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Feb 7, 2017 -> 04:15 PM)

Considering that she didn't know what IDEA was, and charter schools have historically been reluctant to take kids with disabilities, I'd say that any parent of a kid with a disability has a right to be furious about the choice.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Feb 7, 2017 -> 03:15 PM)

Are there a non-zero number of families who pay property taxes to your district but send their children to private schools? If people like DeVos get their way, all of those public education funds would instead be funneled into the private schools those kids are attending. That would hurt your kid's public school education.

She'll also likely have a very negative impact on higher ed as there are strong signs they'll be rolling back the restrictions on the firehouse of federal student aid dollars aimed at awful for-profit colleges.

"It won't personally affect me" isn't a good reason not to care about something, anyway.

Edited by StrangeSox