President Donald Trump: The Thread

Steve9347

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 12:28 PM)
I agree it doesn't make sense that the media has a war on the marketplace of ideas but that's how it is.

ESPN fired a tennis announcer for using the term "guerilla warfare" during a Venus Williams match.

ESPN fired Curt Schilling after he said he disagreed with the transgender bathroom ruling in North Carolina on his personal Facebook page.

ESPN fired Mike Ditka after he said Obama was a bad president and hed be voting for Trump.

ESPN suspended Linda Cohn for saying ESPN has gotten too political.

Hill makes some generalization about the POTUS and his administration and insults the people who voted for him and they do nothing. She's in line with the groupthink. She represents what Bob Iger and Disney prefer politically so she gets held to a different standard.

ESPN has taken sports, something we love in and use as an escape, and jammed their political garbage in it. Their business is being swallowed as a result. Viewers are leaving as if their content was transmitted on DVDs. They're a horrible business and they will suffer as a result. I hope their employees find new jobs before ESPN's leadership lops another group of employees.

I think that's a bit dramatic. Of all the things mentioned, only one of them happened during an ESPN telecast. There is no political talk during the games. There is no political talk during NFL countdown or the baseball pregame show. I never watched much of ESPN except for games or Sportscenter, and Sportscenter you don't need anymore with all the other media available. I think it's a reach to say ESPN's demise is because of politics. To me, it's cord cutting mainly, and being able to get the news faster elsewhere. When Keith Olbermann, perhaps the most political ESPN personality in history was there, politics weren't an issuer. Every ESPN personality could tweet Trump insults, and if the NASCAR race is on ESPN, all his fans will still be tuning in.

I have seen you use groupthink around here hundreds of times. I would be interested to know, do you think Fox News is a group think outfit?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 05:28 PM)
I agree it doesn't make sense that the media has a war on the marketplace of ideas but that's how it is.

ESPN fired a tennis announcer for using the term "guerilla warfare" during a Venus Williams match.

ESPN fired Curt Schilling after he said he disagreed with the transgender bathroom ruling in North Carolina on his personal Facebook page.

ESPN fired Mike Ditka after he said Obama was a bad president and hed be voting for Trump.

Hill makes some generalization about the POTUS and his administration and insults the people who voted for him and they do nothing. She's in line with the groupthink. She represents what Bob Iger and Disney prefer politically so she gets held to a different standard.

ESPN has taken sports, something we love in and use as an escape, and jammed their political garbage in it. Their business is being swallowed as a result. Viewers are leaving as if their content was transmitted on DVDs. They're a horrible business and they will suffer as a result. I hope their employees find new jobs before ESPN's leadership lops another group of employees.

This is a good post. There's no doubt ESPN would have fired any announcer who blasted Obama on Twitter. Case closed. She called Trump a white supremist and also had some additional tweets saying the only reason he won was white privilege. She should have been disciplined the same way as the others. All Linda Cohn did was bash her own company for huge mistakes. The president of the company supposedly is really overmatched.

I do like what ESPN does, though. They make their decision, issue a statement saying Jemele knows she made a mistake, then crickets. They know the story only has legs for 48 hours or so. Ride it out. However if they suspended Jamele, think about it. The story would have legs forever. All the groups in America would have gone NUTS had Jamele been suspended. Picketing at ESPN, maybe even riots.

ESPN made the right call here in terms of America 2017, but the wrong call as a company because they've set the precedent in firing/suspending others for controversial statements. See where I'm going? If ESPN had suspended Hill, wow. The protests would have been out of control, again, maybe even violence.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 12:52 PM)
This is a good post. There's no doubt ESPN would have fired any announcer who blasted Obama on Twitter. Case closed. She called Trump a white supremist and also had some additional tweets saying the only reason he won was white privilege. She should have been disciplined the same way as the others. All Linda Cohn did was bash her own company for huge mistakes. The president of the company supposedly is really overmatched.

I do like what ESPN does, though. They make their decision, issue a statement saying Jemele knows she made a mistake, then crickets. They know the story only has legs for 48 hours or so. Ride it out. However if they suspended Jamele, think about it. The story would have legs forever. All the groups in America would have gone NUTS had Jamele been suspended. Picketing at ESPN, maybe even riots.

ESPN made the right call here in terms of America 2017, but the wrong call as a company because they've set the precedent in firing/suspending others for controversial statements. See where I'm going? If ESPN had suspended Hill, wow. The protests would have been out of control, again, maybe even violence.

Oh really?

“Obama is the worst president we’ve ever had,” the former Chicago Bears coach said in a radio interview

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 12:57 PM)
And DA There was nothing dramatic about that post. I never said that all of ESPN's misdeeds happened during games. Not sure why that even matters. They only punish employees of certain beliefs. That was the points. Their track record is irrefutable at this point.

So you won't watch a game you wanted to see if it was broadcast on ESPN because some host of some show nobody watches called out Trump on Twitter? And you are saying they have ruined sports viewing for many because of political tweets? More people watch ESPN's NFL draft than watch the World Series.

Did you have any problem with Schillings tweets. like when he was calling out Hillary, before the one that broke the camels back? Was that ruining it for you? Did you have a problem with Ditka being a card carrying Republican, who even considered running against Obama for Senator? Or did it all all apart when liberals started tweeting?

Y

Edited by Dick Allen

Is "groupthink" just any political position you don't agree with?

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 12:59 PM)
They removed him from his role. You can semantic it any way you want since it's your perogotative to defend them. He has trashed ESPN since.

I will use Ditka's own statement. That should be good enough for you. Facts suck when they don't support the cause. Someone happy he was sticking around even after referring to Obama as the worst President ever?

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/03/mike-ditka-countdown-espn

Edited by Dick Allen

Thats not what I meant.

"The left" doesnt get to say whatever they want. "The right" has far more radical opinions being spouted on the airwaves than anything "The left" or radical left could ever have. Rush has the same number of monthly listeners as ESPN has monthly viewers and his views are far more radical than anything said on ESPN. Blaming "the media" for pandering towards a majority of the country is comical.

Remember when ABC fired a reality television host who repeatedly made claims about Obama not being born in the US?

Oh wait that guy became President.

It's Disney's employee, they can take whatever action they feel appropriate. If you dont like it, stop watching Star Wars, Marvel and anything related to Disney. Im sure that Disney is loving all of the attention that this is getting, maybe it will even cause a ratings spike.

There is this thing called Occams Razor, the simplest answer is usually the better answer. The simplest answer is money. Disney feels that whatever was said this time, is less likely to cost them money than what Schilling said. I personally agree.

I know people dont like to discuss it, but there is more money to be made from "liberals" than "conservatives". Its not some sort of conspiracy, unless the conspiracy is to "make as much money as possible." In which case I agree, companies are all conspiring to make the most money.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 01:33 PM)
What is the current status of media? Where does it come from now? Who dictates what is acceptable and mainstream?

Media used to be centralized in New York and have traditional New York liberal values. Values that were in favor of social liberties and free speech.

Now media comes from a tiny little area in California with revolutionary leftist views.

Uh?

Google is based in Cali, Disney Cali, Comcast Philly, 21st Century Fox NY, Facebook Cali, Bertelsmann Germany, Viacom NY, CBS NY, Baidu Beijing, Newscorp NY.

Of the top 10, only 3 are based in California. More are based in NY.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 01:37 PM)
I was not familiar ABC/Disney fired a future president for ripping Obama.

ESPN is not conspiring to make money. They are conspiring to make influence. Check out their viewers and subscription numbers since they've infused leftist politics into sports.

Politics? Really?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculati...t/#47709a907a59

You didn't answer this before, what about Fox News? Groupthink or not? Do you have a problem with how they play political? Or is it because you have the same views, it's OK?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 01:37 PM)
I was not familiar ABC/Disney fired a future president for ripping Obama.

ESPN is not conspiring to make money. They are conspiring to make influence. Check out their viewers and subscription numbers since they've infused leftist politics into sports.

Trump was on NBC, he didnt get fired for his perspective. He was bringing in money, so NBC didnt care what he was doing as he was driving ratings.

ESPN is run by Disney. Disney's objective is to make money. ESPN's viewership decline has nothing to do with "politics", as you said said before your generation gets sports news from other sources, it has nothing to do with politics. I cant recall a single Disney shareholder call where "politics" was brought up, but I can remember "cutting the chord" being discussed.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 01:45 PM)
Well I always have multiple people in this sub forum disagreeing with me and I can't respond to everyone. I've made my point to you and you to me so at some point there's nothing constructive to come of continuing on. You can chalk it up as another victory for DA though.

Ditka says leaving was his idea. Forbes says ESPN's subscriptions are from cord cutting, won't answer Fox News, so you post this.

You were wrong, and just can't admit it.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 01:55 PM)
Proving my point DA. You're a winner and I'm a loser. You can see me address these points within this thread but just ignore that. I just try to have a discussion with this stuff but you're so bent on being right it becomes a chore. I'll let you be so you can go rehash some Beckham and Cooper arguments since you seem to agree with everyone else back here. I'm going to go to the tailor, pick up my pants and sulk In defeat at another internet loss at the hands of DA.

A coward like answer. Make outrageeous claims, get shown some things that may be facts, ignore, take your ball and go home.

I am waiting for you to address the points you said you addressed.

Why would Ditka say working from home was his idea?

Why would Forbes, not exactly a liberal publication report ESPN's numbers are down from cord cutting, although there revenue is fine?

Is Fox News groupthink?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 02:07 PM)
Me saying FoxNews is groupthink before you continue to berate me for not acknowledging my point. Also talk about how the changes television face play a role.

Me addressing Ditka.

So I addressed all your points. You called me a coward. When you had to resort to name calling that says it all about you.

I said your answer was coward-like. That is not calling you a coward. But I linked the Ditka article where HE SAID working from home was HIS IDEA, and you didn't address that. AT ALL. How about now?

And you ignore cord cutting. ESPN isn't the only station losing subscribers. So is Cartoon Network, and I haven't seen any political tweets from Spongebob Squarepants.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 01:59 PM)
A coward like answer. Make outrageeous claims, get shown some things that may be facts, ignore, take your ball and go home.

I am waiting for you to address the points you said you addressed.

Why would Ditka say working from home was his idea?

Why would Forbes, not exactly a liberal publication report ESPN's numbers are down from cord cutting, although there revenue is fine?

Is Fox News groupthink?

Personal attacks again? Geesh.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 01:50 PM)
ESPN's employees think there is a liberal bias. ESPN's study shows their viewers think there is a liberal bias. Not sure why it is so important for you to defend otherwise?

I think youre missing the point. I dont know if there is a liberal bias or not. What I care about is how much money Disney makes because I am a shareholder. If I thought the stock would go up because they fired her, I would say fire her. Since I dont think it matters at all, I dont care.

I personally think that companies like Disney are likely to make more money if they are perceived to be "liberal" so I have no problem with them pushing that perception. My guess is that they agree with me. I leave opinions and politics out of business decisions.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 02:24 PM)
I think youre missing the point. I dont know if there is a liberal bias or not. What I care about is how much money Disney makes because I am a shareholder. If I thought the stock would go up because they fired her, I would say fire her. Since I dont think it matters at all, I dont care.

I personally think that companies like Disney are likely to make more money if they are perceived to be "liberal" so I have no problem with them pushing that perception. My guess is that they agree with me. I leave opinions and politics out of it.

A majority of the country leans left of this fake center line so of course their material is presented in a way to garner the most viewers. If it was off target it wouldn't be successful. It also the reason that "Alt-left" media is non existent while alt right has millions upon millions of listeners and viewers. You play to your audience.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 01:33 PM)
What is the current status of media? Where does it come from now? Who dictates what is acceptable and mainstream?

Media used to be centralized in New York and have traditional New York liberal values. Values that were in favor of social liberties and free speech.

Now media comes from a tiny little area in California with revolutionary leftist views.

"revolutionary leftist views"

Is the media being run by Maoists?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 02:33 PM)
A majority of the country leans left of this fake center line so of course their material is presented in a way to garner the most viewers. If it was off target it wouldn't be successful. It also the reason that "Alt-left" media is non existent while alt right has millions upon millions of listeners and viewers. You play to your audience.

Its like arguing that the reason there are more Disney stores in Chicagoland area than in Kansas is political, while discounting the fact that there is more money to be made in the Chicagoland market.

There are more Chik Fil A in Los Angeles than the entire state of Montana, I guess Chik Fil A has a hidden liberal agenda.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 02:33 PM)

Isn't CNN in Atlanta and MSNBC in New York?

Last I checked, Fox which owns Fox News was headquartered in Los Angeles.