President Donald Trump: The Thread

Steve9347

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Mar 30, 2017 -> 05:48 PM)
Flynn reportedly offers to testify on Russia in exchange for immunity.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-roo...ge-for-immunity

A statement from his lawyers indicating that he is, in fact, seeking immunity.

https://twitter.com/robkelner/status/847590575352270850

Michael Flynn to NBC in September: "When you are given immunity, that means you have probably committed a crime."

Edited by StrangeSox

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 30, 2017 -> 08:06 AM)
It is a loss of freedom. Period. It is just as easy for the government to socialize pretty much anything because "it is for the public good". It is an absolutely terrible reason for anything when it comes to the power of the federal government.

What about public schools? Should all schools from K-12 be tuition based, with only those who can afford it able to go?

If Russia influenced the election, I'd think Trump would be gonzo soon. That's the potential scandal Trump haters need to continue pursuing. Right now, that's the one that could get him kicked out of the White House. I was reading some story that was saying Russia influenced the election and still is influencing our politics. WTF is that about?? Is Russia that powerful anymore?? Is Russia running the USA or not? If Russia is in control, what's stopping some sort of collusion with them invading and taking over us all? This is scary s*** Russia's own citizens, mostly millenials, are marching in the streets as we speak protesting all the corruption over there.

Anyhow, like I said, if Russia influenced the election and Trump colluded with them, bye bye Donald and that's the issue that should be pursued day after day.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 30, 2017 -> 12:58 PM)
While something like 62% of Americans are invested in the stock market....

This is largely due to the tax consequences of not putting money into IRAs or retirement plans. Of course, I'm sure it's ok when the government essentially forces people to invest money into the stock market or be penalized with a higher reportable income at tax time.

Yes, in a way, you're not "mandated" to buy a house or invest in the stock market, but you're HEAVILY encouraged due to tax policy.

(Heck, in China you have to pay for EVERYTHING if you have a child without being married, but the opposite results in the government subsidizing almost all the costs, which essentially mandates marriage, which you can argue that brand of paternalism's effects.)

Of course, everyone complains about the low rate of return for the Social Security Trust Fund and demands that they be given the opportunity to manage that money independently, until they go through 1997-98, the tech crash, 2001, 2008-09. A lot of people were shell-shocked after all that and missed out on the returns of the last decade because they only stayed even for the previous decade. Heck, some pulled out their money in anticipation of the world falling apart when Trump was elected, only to see the market bounce up another 5-10%.

In the end, without a mandate, there's still no solution for all those without health insurance accessing the system (free riders) and driving up the premiums for everyone else. You either have to remove insurance companies entirely from the equation, or get cost cuts (price ceilings) from Big Pharma and reasonable controls over hospital billing. We shouldn't be opposed to subsidizing medical school costs, or taking whatever steps we need in order to increase the supply of doctors, especially in rural or "hard to reach" areas. Since you're unlikely to lower demand with an aging population, we need to make reforms on the supply side (logically).

Edited by caulfield12

The (Not-So) Peaceful Transition of Power: Trump’s Drone Strikes Outpace Obama

During President Obama’s two terms in office, he approved 542 such targeted strikes in 2,920 days—one every 5.4 days. From his inauguration through today, President Trump had approved at least 37 drone strikes or raids in 68 days—one every 1.8 days

Mass slaughter on a daily basis from this country.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 31, 2017 -> 07:31 AM)
The (Not-So) Peaceful Transition of Power: Trump’s Drone Strikes Outpace Obama

Mass slaughter on a daily basis from this country.

There's just too many other daily controversies for that to even get a mention on page 23D.

Republican media covering up for Trump and only giving us fake news and zero mentions when Trump attacks the HFC because they don't want to be forced to choose a side.

I have seen a few twitter handles including Jester saying that Trump is considering his options right now, including resignation. Obviously its only unsubstantiated rumor, but Jester has been on it since inaugeration and has been right about a lot of things so far.

His wiki page looks like what they wanted the movie Blackhat to be, lol

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 30, 2017 -> 11:23 PM)
Wow, that's really interesting. If that is the case that is one incredibly mobilized and effective group. The President, the Senate, the House of Representatives and more than two thirds of governorships are all from one party that only 25% of the country identifies with. If I was entirely unlearned on American politics I would think that is one brilliant group. I know, following along, that that's not the case but man if you just stick to the numbers the Republicans are wiping the floor with them.

Rabbit, 55% of the eligible population voted in 2016.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/11/politics/pop...e-turnout-2016/

Of that amount, 45.2M voted for a Democratic Senate candidate, while 39.3 for a Republican Senate candidate. Despite that fact, the Rs control the Senate.

In the House, it was 56.3M Republican votes vs. 53.2M Democratic votes.

For the Presidency, well, we all know that HRC got more votes in the popular vote.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politic...e-too/93598998/

So, if 55% of eligible voters cared enough to vote, then we can assume the other 45% don't share any particular party affiliation. Based on the split of votes, and the number of votes to each side from people who don't identify as D or R, it looks like 25% of the population as Rs is a fairly accurate number. Now, that doesn't mean 75% of the population is D, obviously.

The Republicans are "wiping the floor" with the Democrats because they control the rural vote. But, a mere 8 years ago, the Ds had majorities in both Houses and controlled the Presidency. Control is cyclical, and parties who think that control represents a "mandate" find themselves quickly losing control.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 31, 2017 -> 09:09 AM)
I have seen a few twitter handles including Jester saying that Trump is considering his options right now, including resignation. Obviously its only unsubstantiated rumor, but Jester has been on it since inaugeration and has been right about a lot of things so far.

His wiki page looks like what they wanted the movie Blackhat to be, lol

I dont buy it. He's much too stubborn to think anything is going wrong, I think he generally believes the stuff on Fox and spewed by Bannon.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Mar 31, 2017 -> 10:04 AM)
Rabbit, 55% of the eligible population voted in 2016.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/11/politics/pop...e-turnout-2016/

Of that amount, 45.2M voted for a Democratic Senate candidate, while 39.3 for a Republican Senate candidate. Despite that fact, the Rs control the Senate.

In the House, it was 56.3M Republican votes vs. 53.2M Democratic votes.

For the Presidency, well, we all know that HRC got more votes in the popular vote.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politic...e-too/93598998/

So, if 55% of eligible voters cared enough to vote, then we can assume the other 45% don't share any particular party affiliation. Based on the split of votes, and the number of votes to each side from people who don't identify as D or R, it looks like 25% of the population as Rs is a fairly accurate number. Now, that doesn't mean 75% of the population is D, obviously.

The Republicans are "wiping the floor" with the Democrats because they control the rural vote. But, a mere 8 years ago, the Ds had majorities in both Houses and controlled the Presidency. Control is cyclical, and parties who think that control represents a "mandate" find themselves quickly losing control.

Gallup (and others) run polls gauging party self-identification.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/15370/party-affiliation.aspx

It was an offhand joke based on historic party affiliation levels.

I think zero chance he's considering resigning.

I don't doubt he's tired and confused though. I don't think he has been in a position where he does not have deflection points for media.

When a celebrity, he had reporters covering celebrity news and he would suck up the oxygen and delight in making attention for himself where it wasn't there.

In the campaign it was political reporters and he would suck up all of the oxygen and delight in the attention for himself.

But there's no grabbing headlines or attention when you are prez. You are the main event. You are what everyone is there to cover. So his only trick was saying "look at me look at me!" but they are already looking. It's not the same, and he can only do bigger and bigger stunts to get his own narrative.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 31, 2017 -> 09:14 AM)
Gallup (and others) run polls gauging party self-identification.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/15370/party-affiliation.aspx

It was an offhand joke based on historic party affiliation levels.

That's a little bit different than registered Repubs vs. Dems.

The slide in the GOP identifiers since the health care debate and pulled AHCA bill is instructive. Interesting the number of identifying Dems hasn't increased at all over these last five months.

My recollection was it was around 31% registered as GOP and 27-28% as Dems. As usual, independent/moderate/centrist voters decide elections.