President Donald Trump: The Thread

Steve9347

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 24, 2017 -> 10:22 AM)
Why exactly are thousands of women dropping dead with less access to abortion? Do you believe that or are you just parroting Vox.com lol. Did thousands of women die in the 1800's because of lack of access to abortion? To be clear, I am totally for women's abortion rights and border on encouraging it. In essence, don't have kids you can't provide a good life to. That being said, this article is just fear-mongering from a bad source.

It's literally the subheading of the article. If you had bothered to click through to read the article before dismissing it out of hand, you'd have seen that before asking me if I just "parroted" them. Perhaps if you bothered to read it, you'd also understand where the claim of 1000's dead is coming from.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 24, 2017 -> 10:22 AM)
Why exactly are thousands of women dropping dead with less access to abortion? Do you believe that or are you just parroting Vox.com lol. Did thousands of women die in the 1800's because of lack of access to abortion? To be clear, I am totally for women's abortion rights and border on encouraging it. In essence, don't have kids you can't provide a good life to. That being said, this article is just fear-mongering from a bad source.

I can't say I understand the ramifications of the pipeline when it comes to the affect on the environment or the economy but it's not surprising Trump made this move. Commodity prices are stagnated (despite oil's run to end '16) and manufacturing in the US is a in a terrible place so any help to the domestic oil companies makes a lot of sense coming from Trump. I am not sure how much this helps the oil industry or to what expense that comes with it, but this is going to continue to be a problem. I wonder if Trump actually thinks he's going to be able to thwart the economic collapse with little changes here and there.

Rabbit,

Why are thousands of women dying? Well according to the statistics that the article is based on:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2709326/

Every year, worldwide, about 42 million women with unintended pregnancies choose abortion, and nearly half of these procedures, 20 million, are unsafe. Some 68,000 women die of unsafe abortion annually, making it one of the leading causes of maternal mortality (13%). Of the women who survive unsafe abortion, 5 million will suffer long-term health complications. Unsafe abortion is thus a pressing issue.

According to the World Health Organization (WHO), every 8 minutes a woman in a developing nation will die of complications arising from an unsafe abortion. An unsafe abortion is defined as “a procedure for terminating an unintended pregnancy carried out either by persons lacking the necessary skills or in an environment that does not conform to minimal medical standards, or both.”1 The fifth United Nations Millennium Development Goal recommends a 75% reduction in maternal mortality by 2015. WHO deems unsafe abortion one of the easiest preventable causes of maternal mortality and a staggering public health issue.

The median rate of unsafe abortions in the 82 countries with the most restrictive abortion laws is up to 23 of 1000 women compared with 2 of 1000 in nations that allow abortions.4 Abortion-related deaths are more frequent in countries with more restrictive abortion laws (34 deaths per 100,000 childbirths) than in countries with less restrictive laws (1 or fewer per 100,000 childbirths).

n Romania, for example, where abortion was available upon request until 1966, the abortion mortality ratio was 20 per 100,000 live births in 1960. New legal restrictions were imposed in 1966, and by 1989 the ratio reached 148 deaths per 100,000 live births. The restrictions were reversed in 1989, and within a year the ratio dropped to 68 of 100,000 live births; by 2002 it was as low as 9 deaths per 100,000 births (Figure 3). Similarly, in South Africa, after abortion became legal and available on request in 1997, abortion-related infection decreased by 52%, and the abortion mortality ratio from 1998 to 2001 dropped by 91% from its 1994 level.

The world’s lowest abortion rates are in Europe, where abortion is legal and widely available but contraceptive use is high; in Belgium, Germany, and the Netherlands, the rate is below 10 per 1000 women aged 15 to 44 years. In contrast, in Africa, Latin America, and the Caribbean, where abortion laws are the most restrictive and contraceptive use is lower, the rates range from the mid-20s to 39 per 1000 women.

Do you consider the US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health" a bad source?

As for the pipeline, it is really unclear who or what it will help. It is importing Canada oil. So it would help refineries who would process the oil, but it could hurt oil producers as the Canadian oil would now become much cheaper. At the end of the day its likely neutral from an economic standpoint, and with oil prices already relatively cheap, it may not be economically beneficial to cede any land for its construction. But who knows, I think it goes in the "unclear what will happen" category.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 24, 2017 -> 05:22 PM)
Why exactly are thousands of women dropping dead with less access to abortion? Do you believe that or are you just parroting Vox.com lol.

Perhaps he read the article which explained why thousands of women are likely to die and gave clear evidence to support it.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 24, 2017 -> 08:08 AM)
Trump reinstated the global "gag order" forbidding US foreign aid funding going to any NGO's that so much as discuss abortion

Trump just reinstated the global gag rule. It won't stop abortion, but it will make it less safe.

Thousands of women will die across the world, and millions will lose access to both safe abortion and birth control.

Great move, loving this. Saving millions of lives instead of killing them.

I spoke with a woman in college who talked about being a nurse pre Roe. Young girls coming in dying of infections from self inflicted or shoddy medical procedures.Always poor, the rich ones were able to find doctors to do it on the hush. That always stuck with me.

It's been legal my whole life so the question has always been right or wrong, it doesn't often get to the point where the effects of making it illegal again are discussed. People obviously have strong moral reasons to still be against it and that's fine, but from what I understand much of the movement to legalize it was based on the reality of young women dying or being seriously injured from pushing it to the boundaries.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 24, 2017 -> 09:27 AM)
Mr. Spicer strikes again. This guy is gold, even Trump who loves his Trumptionary isnt willing to go all 1984 on whether he lost:

Soooo by your logic, he actually wouldnt have "won" because he really wasnt competing anyway.

1984! 1984!

You are definitely blackwhite on this, but the bellyfeel for Trump is real.

poor soxbadger

QUOTE (brett05 @ Jan 24, 2017 -> 08:50 AM)
poor soxbadger

So, by adding a post to this thread acknowledging these guidelines, you are stating the following...

1. I will not insult other posters, directly or indirectly

2. I will not threaten anyone, even in jest

3. I will not bait people or push them over the line (a.k.a. pushing their buttons)

4. I will not post statements for the purpose of angering others

5. I will not prod posters repeatedly on a subject or chase them across topics to make a point

6. I will try to make posts that actually add to the discussion at hand

QUOTE (brett05 @ Jan 24, 2017 -> 04:48 PM)

Thousands of women's lives will be lost.

But if you're referring to abortions...they're going to increase. That's what happened the last time this policy was put in place.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 24, 2017 -> 10:52 AM)
I just wasn't aware the US was a developing country.

Please read the article you dismissed as "fear-mongering" and familiarize yourself with the very basics of the discussion before you make yourself look even more foolish. It wasn't about women in the US.

edit: ffs my original post even included the phrase "US foreign aid"

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (brett05 @ Jan 24, 2017 -> 10:48 AM)

I assume you were equally as excited about the precipitous drops in teen pregnancy and abortions under Obama.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Jan 24, 2017 -> 10:53 AM)

But if you're referring to abortions...they're going to increase. That's what happened the last time this policy was put in place.

Just like with "abstinence-only" policies, the end result is worse but it's more about moral posturing than efficacy.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Jan 24, 2017 -> 10:53 AM)

I disagree. More lives will be saved. Those 20 million doing it legally aren't going to look for an illegal method in mass to account for the loss of life done by those women having an illegal abortion.

Millions saved.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 24, 2017 -> 10:55 AM)
Just like with "abstinence-only" policies, the end result is worse but it's more about moral posturing than efficacy.

Lots of research done by the religious community says otherwise.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 24, 2017 -> 11:54 AM)
I assume you were equally as excited about the precipitous drops in teen pregnancy and abortions under Obama.

If you want to decrease abortions, increase access to contraception. Being anti both is a ridiculous policy position.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/06/science/...ccess.html?_r=0