President Donald Trump: The Thread

Steve9347

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 09:10 AM)
I miss my old life

This is way more work than i thought

I might bomb North Korea.

all in one interview

The Onion might have published something like this before Trump was elected, showing us what it might be like. To be honest, as much as I despise the Orange Menace, I would have laughed it off as over the top even for him, and enjoyed the joke.

Now it's real.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 09:11 AM)
It will be difficult for republicans to push a tax plan like that in the Senate because of some of the parts of the sequestration bill.

Also filibuster. That's why we'll end of getting Bush Tax Cuts v2.0 that sunset in 10 years via reconciliation imo.

eta: I don't think the sequaestration bill can actually bind future Congresses though?

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 09:14 AM)
Also filibuster. That's why we'll end of getting Bush Tax Cuts v2.0 that sunset in 10 years via reconciliation imo.

eta: I don't think the sequaestration bill can actually bind future Congresses though?

I think it lasts to 2021, but you might be right. I was thinking it would make it difficult for them to make it "cheaper".

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 09:24 AM)
I think it lasts to 2021, but you might be right. I was thinking it would make it difficult for them to make it "cheaper".

But there's the constitutional idea that a "past Congress can't bind the current Congress." If they pass a bill that goes against the sequester, then they've implicitly overturned at least that part of the sequester.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 09:28 AM)
But there's the constitutional idea that a "past Congress can't bind the current Congress." If they pass a bill that goes against the sequester, then they've implicitly overturned at least that part of the sequester.

I was under the impression the BCA changed the rules of what can be passed with 50 votes in reconciliation.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 10:12 AM)
I was under the impression the BCA changed the rules of what can be passed with 50 votes in reconciliation.

I'm fairly certain I am making this up at this point. There was some patty murray thing in the Ryan/Murray bill that I cannot find now.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 01:46 PM)
It's always someone else's fault with him. Why don't they press him on his comment that Flynn, much like Bill O'Reilly later, did nothing wrong.

So if Obama's been such a failure for so long (according to Trump) and he did the same thing the Obama administration did, wouldn't that mean that Trump also failed?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 28, 2017 -> 02:25 PM)
So if Obama's been such a failure for so long (according to Trump) and he did the same thing the Obama administration did, wouldn't that mean that Trump also failed?

Logically, yes, but in Trump's world he has done nothing wrong ever.

ObamaCare 47%, Trump 40-44%.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/201...ut-trump-215049

What the press still doesn't get about Trump.

Must read. Long, but detailed.

12. Trump’s success depends just as much on what happens outside Washington.

Jessica Yellin, senior fellow at the USC Annenberg Center on Communication Leadership & Policy and former chief White House correspondent for CNN

Political reporters are doing a fantastic job covering Washington, D.C., under extremely challenging conditions. But we still need to devote more resources to covering on-the-ground reality in communities across the country. Consider these recent stories:

Jobs: Rexnord industrial bearings, less than 2 miles from the Carrier plant in Indianapolis, is shipping some 300 jobs to Mexico, according to the Indianapolis Star and the Associated Press. After all the television coverage devoted to the president’s negotiations to keep some Carrier jobs in the United States, where are the cameras now?

Immigration: Nebraska meatpackers rely heavily on refugees and immigrants to staff their food processing plants. Now, the Omaha World-Herald reports that the industry, fearing labor shortages caused by the crackdown on foreign workers, is considering moving toward machine labor and/or cutting back on production.

Travel: In March, USC held a three-day African trade summit with zero Africans, VOA News and the Guardian reported. One hundred percent of the attendees from Africa—at least 60 people—were denied visas, blocked from attending an event meant to give American businesses more investment opportunities overseas.

These aren’t just human-interest stories. They’re about the real-world impact of our policies and politics. When they do get national pickup, it’s fleeting compared with coverage of, say, the search for leakers in the White House. Trump’s election was an outside-the-Beltway phenomenon. It would be a mistake to cover his presidency as a largely inside-the-Beltway reality.

Edited by caulfield12

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/28/world/north-...unch/index.html

North Korea just launched another missile.

Twitter will be busy this weekend from Mar A Lago. Maybe surrounding neighbors can try to cell phone jam that place, lol. Or wifi can be cut by provider to save us from war? Oops, guess he'll be in Harrisburg, hiding from the WH Correspondents Dinner.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/28/politics/don...-nra/index.html

Donald Trump is the best troll in all of politics

"I have a feeling that in the next election you're going to be swamped with candidates," Trump told the crowd. "You'll have plenty of those Democrats coming over and you'll say 'No sir. No ma'am, perhaps ma'am. It may be Pocahontas, remember that. And she is not big for the NRA that I can tell you."

("Pocahontas" is Trump's derogatory nickname for Warren who faced a major controversy when she ran for the Senate in 2012 over whether she had Native American roots.)

Then there was Trump's reference to former presidential primary rival Ted Cruz, who was in the audience as the president spoke. "Like, dislike, like," Trump said by way of describing the arc of his relationship with the man he regularly referred to as "Lyin' Ted" during the course of the primary race.

http://www.stltoday.com/business/columns/d...3c.html?ref=yfp

Trump's tax cut looks like Kansas writ large.

Trump isn’t being quite as generous as Kansas, which decided not to tax pass-through sums at all, but he does want to lower the tax on such income to 15 percent. Pass-through income currently is taxed just like wages, at rates that escalate to 39.6 percent.

The result is easy to predict: A lot of people would start LLCs and other entities, turning their paychecks into lower-taxed pass-through payments. “Whenever there are different rates for different sorts of income, individuals can find ways to game the system,” says Scott Greenberg, an analyst at the Tax Foundation.

Congress could try to write rules to limit such conversions, but it would have a hard time keeping up with clever tax lawyers. “It would probably leave federal revenue pretty substantially lower,” Greenberg said.

When candidate Trump floated the idea of a lower pass-through rate last fall, the Tax Foundation estimated that it would cost the government $1.7 trillion over 10 years.

As news of the president’s plan (to exit NAFTA) reached Ottawa and Mexico City in the middle of the week and rattled the markets and Congress, Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross, Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue, and others huddled in meetings with Trump, urging him not to sign a document triggering a U.S. withdrawal from NAFTA. Perdue even brought along a prop to the Oval Office: a map of the United States that illustrated the areas that would be hardest hit, particularly from agriculture and manufacturing losses, and highlighting that many of those states and counties were “Trump country” communities that had voted for the president last November.

And, of course, the best way to convince Donald Trump to do something—even better than showing him maps, which he loves—is to appeal to his ego.

“It shows that I do have a very big farmer base, which is good,” Trump told the Post. “They like Trump, but I like them, and I’m going to help them.”

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/04/don...fta-map?ref=yfp

Edited by caulfield12

At his (unneeded) rally, Drunpf made fun of the fact that the president was absent from the correspondents dinner that he was too thin skinned to attend.

Must still need aloe on the burns that Obama left last time he was there

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 30, 2017 -> 06:06 PM)
At his (unneeded) rally, Drunpf made fun of the fact that the president was absent from the correspondents dinner that he was too thin skinned to attend.

Must still need aloe on the burns that Obama left last time he was there

His relationship with the press is so bad it wouldn't have been right IMO to attend this year's correspondents dinner even though presidents traditionally attend. I guess they could have pulled it off if say, they allowed Hannity to walk Trump to the podium and mock interview him or something. Trump really would have needed the one media ally to make the dinner anything but inappropriate. Cause really, the disdain for Trump is so extreme I don't really think any jokes he made would have been anything but cringeworthy. I don't know who else speaks at that dinner, but it would have been tough to not really offend Trump rather than joke with him. Do you agree this wasn't the year for Trump at that dinner? I mean we haven't had this type of hate between president and media in a while. If the second Bush handled the correspondence dinners well, I guess my position is off base here. He was pretty much despised/mocked by the media on a regular basis.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 30, 2017 -> 01:24 PM)
His relationship with the press is so bad it wouldn't have been right IMO to attend this year's correspondents dinner even though presidents traditionally attend. I guess they could have pulled it off if say, they allowed Hannity to walk Trump to the podium and mock interview him or something. Trump really would have needed the one media ally to make the dinner anything but inappropriate. Cause really, the disdain for Trump is so extreme I don't really think any jokes he made would have been anything but cringeworthy. I don't know who else speaks at that dinner, but it would have been tough to not really offend Trump rather than joke with him. Do you agree this wasn't the year for Trump at that dinner? I mean we haven't had this type of hate between president and media in a while. If the second Bush handled the correspondence dinners well, I guess my position is off base here. He was pretty much despised/mocked by the media on a regular basis.

Trump is a coward who can dish it and cannot take it. The end

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 30, 2017 -> 07:07 PM)
Trump is a coward who can dish it and cannot take it. The end

100 days into his presidency? As much as he's hated by the press and vice versa? You don't agree it would have been horrid at this juncture? I've watched Obama at those last two dinners and he's funnier than most stand up comics. Precious priceless stuff. But the press loved him and he tolerated or liked them.

What could possibly have been good about Trump attending that dinner at this juncture? I can't even imagine the press laughing at his jokes because at least 100 days in, there is real hatred between the 2 groups. I notice you won't discuss things you are called on. Is this your mojo or simply a trend?

I at least explain my positions in here. Where I get in trouble is when people say I repeat my positions ad nauseum. Can you even suggest why it would have been a good idea for Trump to attend that dinner? How it could possibly have been anything but a disaster for him? He's outnumbered with hundreds of haters to one Trump. He'd have to have rocks in his head to attend such a gathering this year.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 30, 2017 -> 02:23 PM)
100 days into his presidency? As much as he's hated by the press and vice versa? You don't agree it would have been horrid at this juncture? I've watched Obama at those last two dinners and he's funnier than most stand up comics. Precious priceless stuff. But the press loved him and he tolerated or liked them.

What could possibly have been good about Trump attending that dinner at this juncture? I can't even imagine the press laughing at his jokes because at least 100 days in, there is real hatred between the 2 groups. I notice you won't discuss things you are called on. Is this your mojo or simply a trend?

I at least explain my positions in here. Where I get in trouble is when people say I repeat my positions ad nauseum. Can you even suggest why it would have been a good idea for Trump to attend that dinner? How it could possibly have been anything but a disaster for him? He's outnumbered with hundreds of haters to one Trump. He'd have to have rocks in his head to attend such a gathering this year.

You noticed I never discuss things I am called on? Are you serious?

You are like talking to a brick wall that is tuned into Rush Limbaugh. When we all discuss anything Trump has done or said your canned response is "well if he did all these bad things he should be impeached."

Gtfoh. You don't explain positions. Rush Limbaugh and Fox and Friends fill your head with ideas and you say "hey maybe Trump is da Man now,eh?" With zero context.

Trump is enriching himself and his friends, he sold his f***ing soul and this nations soul to Russia. s*** will eventually hit the fan and when it does, you will still be sitting there saying "well, Rush said this...."

What jokes does Trump make? All he does is insult people he considers enemies, and he literally called the press The Enemy. The man has done nothing but lie repeatedly and the media reports it and they are called fake news! That's so f***ed up and you are completely oblivious

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 30, 2017 -> 08:53 PM)
You noticed I never discuss things I am called on? Are you serious?

You are like talking to a brick wall that is tuned into Rush Limbaugh. When we all discuss anything Trump has done or said your canned response is "well if he did all these bad things he should be impeached."

Gtfoh. You don't explain positions. Rush Limbaugh and Fox and Friends fill your head with ideas and you say "hey maybe Trump is da Man now,eh?" With zero context.

Trump is enriching himself and his friends, he sold his f***ing soul and this nations soul to Russia. s*** will eventually hit the fan and when it does, you will still be sitting there saying "well, Rush said this...."

What jokes does Trump make? All he does is insult people he considers enemies, and he literally called the press The Enemy. The man has done nothing but lie repeatedly and the media reports it and they are called fake news! That's so f***ed up and you are completely oblivious

You just railed on and on and again didn't respond to the discussion at hand: the correspondent dinner. So yes, AGAIN you did not discuss the thing you were called on. You are good at this and good at turning it around and nailing me hard to the wall. But I asked you specific stuff about the correspondent dinner and you turned it on me. I realize I am those things you accuse me of sometimes, but still. You are the master of winning arguments. You did not discuss what I called you on at all. ... Again, Trump would have had to have rocks for brains to go to that dinner at this point in time.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 30, 2017 -> 02:24 PM)
Trump would have had to have rocks for brains to go to that dinner at this point in time.

I don't understand. He's the strongest leader this country has ever had. He's said so himself. If he's such a great leader, why is he so thin-skinned and decide to duck out of this? When was the last time a President even did that? Seems like a p***y is you ask me.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 30, 2017 -> 04:24 PM)
You just railed on and on and again didn't respond to the discussion at hand: the correspondent dinner. So yes, AGAIN you did not discuss the thing you were called on. You are good at this and good at turning it around and nailing me hard to the wall. But I asked you specific stuff about the correspondent dinner and you turned it on me. I realize I am those things you accuse me of sometimes, but still. You are the master of winning arguments. You did not discuss what I called you on at all. ... Again, Trump would have had to have rocks for brains to go to that dinner at this point in time.

What exactly would you like me to discuss? do you think Trump is the first president since Reagan (or Nixon)who didn't like certain members of the press of organizations? Do you think they all had great relationships with reporters that covered them?

How about you look at the fact that he not only skipped out on the dinner(and supposedly ordered the rest of his staff to do the same), but he held a rally and bragged about how he wasn't attending. This guy was too thin skinned to attend but at the same time could insult all of them because he didn't attend.

But hey, he is da man. Tell me all about your favorite p**** grabber