President Donald Trump: The Thread

Steve9347

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/09/c...a-senate-238187

Is This A Constitutional Crisis?

9 Legal Opinions from across the political spectrum.

Scary thought that perhaps the worst senator of my lifetime, Chuck Grassley, will be in charge of the next dog and pony act when Trump nominates a successor to Comey. That's in no way reassuring.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 9, 2017 -> 08:58 PM)
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/09/c...a-senate-238187

Is This A Constitutional Crisis?

9 Legal Opinions from across the political spectrum.

Scary thought that perhaps the worst senator of my lifetime, Chuck Grassley, will be in charge of the next dog and pony act when Trump nominates a successor to Comey. That's in no way reassuring.

Pretty sure you were alive for Strom Thurmon and Jesse Helms.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 9, 2017 -> 08:10 PM)
Pretty sure you were alive for Strom Thurmon and Jesse Helms.

At least those guys had interesting relationships with "the lady folk."

Grassley just isn't that smart, and he's about as exciting as watching Krylon paint dry.

Not even informing Comey in a civil way (like anyone else would, except for Trump/Bannon) is going to be used as evidence that the firing took place in a "vindictive/revenge-minded" set of circumstances.

The irony is they thought they'd have cover because of the Hillary e-mail stuff (most Dems except Reddy are over it by now)...but that just turned out to exacerbate the situation since that factor is being completely ignored by almost everyone who grew up in a "Wag the Dog" political universe (which really started with the Nixon White House).

Where are/were Jared and Ivanka when all this went down?

Out of town?

Edited by caulfield12

They're getting to the point where the DEMS in the House and Senate are going to refuse outright to participate in Congress until something is done about this situation that puts it back into the plausible realm of bi-partisanship.

As much as Obama is blamed for tearing the country apart and increasing divisions, this takes the cake.

Wh was mad that FBI want prioritizing investigating leaks over Russia.

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/862117691687145473

But in October — when Sessions was a senator supporting Trump, and Comey revealed less than two weeks before the election that he had reopened the investigation into Clinton’s use of a private email server — Sessions applauded the decision in an appearance on Fox Business Network.

“He had an absolute duty, in my opinion, 11 days or not, to come forward with the new information that he has and let the American people know that, too,” Sessions said at the time.

The ostensible reason for firing him is the exact opposite of what they said when it was helping them

Edited by StrangeSox

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/10/c...p-russia-238192

He had grown enraged by the Russia investigation, two advisers said, frustrated by his inability to control the mushrooming narrative around Russia. He repeatedly asked aides why the Russia investigation wouldn’t disappear and demanded they speak out for him. He would sometimes scream at television clips about the probe, one adviser said.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 9, 2017 -> 09:53 PM)
It's only going to get dumber, I am sure of that. I cannot believe Senator Collins is walking along with this.

They won't do a damn thing because Trump means they get to cut healthcare for the poor and taxes for the wealthy.

I'll gladly eat my words on this if they do end up doing something, but I'm extremely doubtful.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 10, 2017 -> 12:54 PM)
I'm still blown away that the White House legitimately thought there'd be no blow back from this. They have no idea what they're doing. Imagine how poorly they're going to handle an actual crisis.

https://mobile.twitter.com/maggieNYT/status...094642963243008

To be fair, among the dimwitted Americans who support Trump, that's true. They're all buying the "bbbbbut the Democrats wanted him gone" line.

Sure, he'll always have the MAGA-americans, but they thought Congressional Democrats would be on board.

edit:

Josh Dawsey @jdawsey1

White House continues to say Trump had no idea DOJ was preparing memo, read accusations Comey was unfair to Clinton & immediately fired him.

7:02 AM - 10 May 2017

lol, just lol forever at this administration (because that's all the power anyone has to stop them :( )

Edited by StrangeSox

Picking a silly Twitter war with Richard Blumenthal...a surefire way to improve Senate relations. Especially looking at Trump's military record or lack thereof.

He might not get a single Democratic vote for months now. Not until September.

And retweeting The Drudge Report's hit piece on Comey, class personified.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ May 10, 2017 -> 08:14 AM)
To be fair, among the dimwitted Americans who support Trump, that's true. They're all buying the "bbbbbut the Democrats wanted him gone" line.

Yep, seems to be the company line.

I particularly loved CNN showing KellyAnne the clips of Trump praising Comey in Oct over and over and over, but now firing him for his actions then. Pretty classic.