President Donald Trump: The Thread

Steve9347

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 10, 2017 -> 08:27 AM)
Yep, seems to be the company line.

I particularly loved CNN showing KellyAnne the clips of Trump praising Comey in Oct over and over and over, but now firing him for his actions then. Pretty classic.

Nixon still had 24% support when he left office. Bush was still in the upper 20's after conducting two disastrous wars, bungling Katrina horribly and ushering in the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression. There will always be a core group of loyalists.

Editorial by former CIA, NSA director General Michael Hayden:

Michael Hayden: When Trump's Washington starts to resemble Nicaragua

The world got a glimpse of his principles (and his stubbornness) in late March during an open congressional hearing when Comey pointedly contradicted President Trump by saying that he had no knowledge that the phones at Trump Tower had been tapped. NSA Director Mike Rogers rounded out the denial that day by saying that neither NSA nor its British counterpart GCHQ had done it.

If Tuesday’s firing was really about Comey's performance last year, the time to let him go was January, during the transition, when every new president is given the chance (indeed, expected) to reboot the senior leadership of the government. Comey has done nothing to add or subtract from last year's performance since the inauguration, except to unsurprisingly reiterate earlier this week that he has no regrets (and that the enormity of the issues sometimes made him a little sick).

And yet he is gone. And one suspects that last summer did indeed have something to do with it. Not because the president was suddenly seized with concern about how Clinton was handled, but perhaps out of fear that Comey could reprise his independent, attorney general-free performance this year as the Russia investigation advances.

In 110 days of governing, the Trump administration has fired a national security advisor, an acting attorney general, and an FBI director. The last two were let go shortly after publicly opposing an administration position. And in both cases they were proven right. The courts agreed with Sally Yates’ opposition to the immigration ban, and no one (except maybe Sean Hannity) believes that the FBI wiretapped Trump Tower.

With three high profile firings in quick succession, it's beginning to feel a little bit like Nicaragua around here. A very pro-American European friend weighed in with me by email shortly after the White House announcement: “Astonishing. Your institutions appear to be in meltdown.”

He has a point.

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6MSbMGt.jpg

One of the "greatest military frauds in US history" was a guy briefly misstating his military service record but later correcting his misstatement in the same speech, and this should be investigated by the FBI for some reason.

Trump is real mad.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 10, 2017 -> 08:39 AM)
So - what can actually be done other than b****ing and moaning about everything? At some point, who can step in?

No one.

Hi, welcome to The Constitutional Crisis, would you like fries with your order?

So - what can actually be done other than b****ing and moaning about everything? At some point, who can step in?

No one.

2 Republican senators have expressed concern, Sasse and Burr. 1 more is needed to make the confirmation of the next FBI director go through. Corker is probably best shot.

But it seems like the fact that the admin is run by idiots mean most didn't realize it was legally in issue for Trump to do this because he was upset with Russia. As that continues to come out, it's only going to get worse.

But the confirmation of the new director can be tied to a deal for a special prosecutor.

Of course, Sessions should resign, and there is so much going on that he is avoiding heat that should be on him for saying he recused himself but being a part of this process.

David Wright‏

@DavidWright_CNN

News: AG Sessions & Deputy AG Rosenstein interviewing potential interim FBI directors today, according to a DOJ official (@LauraAJarrett)

Ned Price @nedprice

Another deeply disturbing sign--they need a handpicked interim Director? Why is the default, Andy McCabe, not sufficient? https://twitter.com/davidwright_cnn/status/...297827610947584

8:41 AM - 10 May 2017

QUOTE (bmags @ May 10, 2017 -> 09:04 AM)
Why is Sessions a part of this?

POLITICO @politico

#Breaking: Mitch McConnell rejects call for special prosecutor http://politi.co/2qqZ2T1

9:03 AM - 10 May 2017

Because the GOP is willing to go along with this, and they control all of the oversight. There are zero consequences for anything Trump does.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 10, 2017 -> 09:08 AM)
Because the GOP is willing to go along with this, and they control all of the oversight. There are zero consequences for anything Trump does.

Wellp, I had optimism for a few hours. It was wonderful.

The worst part about this to me is if we survive the trashing of the rule of law and constitutional norms all in the name of a tax cut, that when these assholes are out of power they will still be on our tv screens talking about their time in the white house.

No one.

Well I'm not an expert on these matters, but we know that the case is already in the hands of a grand jury (at least one) which has issued subpoenas. That means a case, with facts and evidence, is being presented by lawyers in the US Attorney's Office. This is not just an FBI investigation anymore. Trump and the Republicans can't control what's about to happen. Comey saw to that. Any Republican still covering for Trump is probably implicated, since i have no other explanation for their actions. I seriously think the number of people who know the facts is getting too big to ever control.

Then there are the rumors that sealed indictments have already been issued. We will see about that.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/10/us/polit...-share&_r=0

Days before he was fired, Comey asked for more money for his Russian ties investigation from the deputy AG who wrote up the rationale for his firing.

Edit: oh and also we can stop pretending this moved organically up the chain of command;

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ May 10, 2017 -> 10:55 AM)
We're entering Frank Underwood territory here.

Also, I loved Anderson Cooper's eyeroll during his interview with Kellyanne Conway (she lives!)

giphy.gif

Do we have proof that she is among the living? I don't buy it

The meeting for more resources is being confirmed in several outlets now.

Still unclear what day it was, but the timeline of "last week trump started asking for rationale to fire Comey" and "last week Comey asked the DAG, who wrote his letter of reasons to fire him, for more resources to investigate the Trump campaign" is ...

not a good look. It would be an open and transparent attempt to thwart an ongoing investigation into the presidency, and something that should require an independent congressional investigation.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 10, 2017 -> 11:10 AM)
Do we have proof that she is among the living? I don't buy it

On the other hand why have her on? If it will just be her spouting lies and deflections and no value comes out, why bring her? (I know it's because people love to hate watch her answers but)

QUOTE (bmags @ May 10, 2017 -> 11:11 AM)
On the other hand why have her on? If it will just be her spouting lies and deflections and no value comes out, why bring her? (I know it's because people love to hate watch her answers but)

I agree. You know what you are going to get from her. It's the same BS every single time, and it only invigorates Trumps cult. Trump is correct about one thing, CNN is fake news when they have her on.

I'm no fan of Comey, but this whole thing is ridiculous.

It is amazing how low elected officials will go and look away all in the name of getting rid of Obamacare, which IMO they wouldn't have too much of a problem with if it were nicknamed after a white conservative guy, and lower taxes on the rich. IMO, if Trump is guilty, all these people are guilty if they choose to look the other way.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (bmags @ May 10, 2017 -> 11:01 AM)
GIF embeds >>>> Twitter embeds

That is several unnecessary steps:

Open tweet->snip tool->save image->upload to imgur

versus:

copy-paste link, s***post at rapid velocity

A couple of other places I frequent have hacked their forums code so that the software automatically parses twitter links and frames them just as if you were looking at a .gif of them, and the links are still clickable.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 10, 2017 -> 11:10 AM)
The meeting for more resources is being confirmed in several outlets now.

Still unclear what day it was, but the timeline of "last week trump started asking for rationale to fire Comey" and "last week Comey asked the DAG, who wrote his letter of reasons to fire him, for more resources to investigate the Trump campaign" is ...

not a good look. It would be an open and transparent attempt to thwart an ongoing investigation into the presidency, and something that should require an independent congressional investigation.

Manu Raju @mkraju

Burr and Warner urged Comey to speed up Russia inquiry; Comey asked Rosenstein for more resources. Next day, Comey fired, per @SaraMurray

10:49 AM - 10 May 2017