President Donald Trump: The Thread

Steve9347

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 11, 2017 -> 12:22 PM)
If Democrats don't manage to f*** up the midterms, things will get real interesting real fast.

The problem is the democrats have absolutely no plan on how to get elected. Until they resort to gerrymandering and bulls***, they won't win. We're stuck.

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 11, 2017 -> 12:29 PM)
You mean all those Iphone users?

And Steve, if you really want to make inroads and see if Democrats can be more successful, it may be wise to drop the whole "racist" thing. Insulting people rarely gets them to change their mind.

In the next election cycle I hope people focus on things like: Healthcare, inability to lead, lack of funding for places like NC, self dealing, etc.

There is plenty of ways to convince someone Trump is going to sink the ship.

Trump is about Trump. How many times do we have to see Melania on the White House website, Ivanka hawking products, Kushners using Trump for cash, then they go back and honest mistake, we will remove. The cat was out of the bag. It's like telling a jury to disregard someone giving some very incriminating testimony. They know exactly what they are doing there, even though they don't seem to know too much about the things Trump was actually elected to handle.

I'm just so mad at how obvious it was at how stupid this man would be at this job and yet even now how many should-be smarter and more responsible people are going to go along with it.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 11, 2017 -> 12:33 PM)
The problem is the democrats have absolutely no plan on how to get elected. Until they resort to gerrymandering and bulls***, they won't win. We're stuck.

They're already heavily recruiting candidates for races across the country, so maybe they've actually gotten their s*** together after letting the party disintegrate at the state and local level for years.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 11, 2017 -> 12:01 PM)
This seems, well, not good:

gxkc4Em.jpg

edit: this also means that the President is now contradicting the White House's official story on when and why Comey was fired.

This is the epitome of don't carry water for giving trump the benefit of the doubt, he will always disappoint you and quickly.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 11, 2017 -> 12:35 PM)
I'm just so mad at how obvious it was at how stupid this man would be at this job and yet even now how many should-be smarter and more responsible people are going to go along with it.

If it wasn't for the damage he is going to do to people and the country, that would be the most frustrating thing about this. The Russians brought a camera crew to their meeting. They took pictures. Liars.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 11, 2017 -> 12:27 PM)
Something that's flown under the radar a bit with the rest of this s***storm:

Sinclair-Tribune Media deal spotlights media concentration worries

Sinclair already owns a large number of local affiliate stations across the country, and they're looking to buy up the big chunk that Tribune owns. This will give them ownership and control over much of the media landscape. Sinclair has a heavily conservative bent, and has interfered in editorial control many times in the past. Back in the 2004 elections, they forced local affiliates to preempt regular programming in order to broadcast one of those Swiftboat "documentaries" critical of Kerry. They've also directed news reports to give favorable coverage of Bush during his presidency, and they recently openly discussed trading favorable coverage of Trump for access.

Here’s what happened the last time Sinclair bought a big-city station

spoiler:

it was bad

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 11, 2017 -> 12:29 PM)
You mean all those Iphone users?

And Steve, if you really want to make inroads and see if Democrats can be more successful, it may be wise to drop the whole "racist" thing. Insulting people rarely gets them to change their mind.

I'm not too concerned with winning over the 2 folks here who fit the bill. I make my 5 calls and donate to the proper dem campaigns. I'd like to see them do something with it.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 11, 2017 -> 12:35 PM)

They get to cut health care for the poor, cut taxes for the wealthy, and stole a supreme court seat. Plus lots of "u mad, libs?"

Reagan also had a bunch of people within his administration get convicted for various things and he's still highly revered by lots of people.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 11, 2017 -> 01:21 PM)
I'm not too concerned with winning over the 2 folks here who fit the bill. I make my 5 calls and donate to the proper dem campaigns. I'd like to see them do something with it.

I get that maybe on this board it doesnt matter much, but at the same time its a losing angle so Id rather people go a different route.

On a completely unrelated note.

Does anyone know if the President/Attorney General can fire any FBI agent? Or is it just the one's who were appointed by the President.

Obviously Comey could be, but a lot of Trump supporters want McCabe fired now. Ive tried to look into it, and I cant really find anything besides for the Director can be fired. I presume that the Director could fire McCabe, but could the President fire him even though he was not appointed?

Not sure if anyone else knows, but from what I can find it would seem that McCabe is likely a bigger problem for Trump than Comey would have been.

Edited by Soxbadger

Badger, after McCabe stating that the FBI ranks pretty much all liked and respected Comey, you have to wonder if he realized that he would have to fire them all. Or maybe Ivanka realized that

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 11, 2017 -> 01:26 PM)
I get that maybe on this board it doesnt matter much, but at the same time its a losing angle so Id rather people go a different route.

On a completely unrelated note.

Does anyone know if the President/Attorney General can fire any FBI agent? Or is it just the one's who were appointed by the President.

Obviously Comey could be, but a lot of Trump supporters want McCabe fired now. Ive tried to look into it, and I cant really find anything besides for the Director can be fired. I presume that the Director could fire McCabe, but could the President fire him even though he was not appointed?

Not sure if anyone else knows, but from what I can find it would seem that McCabe is likely a bigger problem for Trump than Comey would have been.

Since McCabe's position is also Senate-confirmed, I'd imagine that he's another Presidential appointment and can be fired by the President. The guy next in line is, too. I don't know how far you have to go down the chain until you're at the civil service level rather than political appointees, but probably below deputy director levels.

e:this is at least partially wrong. McCabe was appointed by Comey, not Obama.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 11, 2017 -> 01:34 PM)
Since McCabe's position is also Senate-confirmed, I'd imagine that he's another Presidential appointment and can be fired by the President. The guy next in line is, too. I don't know how far you have to go down the chain until you're at the civil service level rather than political appointees, but probably below deputy director levels.

Who knows with the current GOP, but firing McCabe would be political suicide.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 11, 2017 -> 01:29 PM)
Badger, after McCabe stating that the FBI ranks pretty much all liked and respected Comey, you have to wonder if he realized that he would have to fire them all. Or maybe Ivanka realized that

Trump has never been very good at thinking a move ahead, let alone multiple moves. Anyone could have told him firing Comey was going to play out badly for a lot of reasons. But that is why I am wondering what the answer is, I believe that the Director of the FBI can fire anyone working the FBI, but only the Director is actually appointed by the President. So the question is can a deputy director who is acting director be fired by the President.

There is just not a lot of information I can find, because the FBI director has only been fired twice (including Comey), so even the director being fired is unusual. He has to realize that any action that starts to look like "purging" could really sway the public, especially because (imo) Trump's base are the type of people who trust and believe in the Police/FBI. Those type of people may go for 1 Director being fired, but would they really buy that the next guy in line also should be fired? Even worse, now Trump is going to have to get a FBI Director approved and that hearing is going to be all about Russia.

In my opinion it was just a bad decision. Should have stuck with Comey.

The Director or Secretary can't fire just anyone. They have appointments they can make and they can dismiss them at any time, but the rank-and-file have pretty decent civil service protections and can only be fired for cause.

Steve Bannon was one of the few people in the White House over the weekend telling Trump this was a really dumb idea. Trump doesn't care and like you said, he doesn't think ahead at all. Which is a fantastic characteristic to have in the Commander in Chief of the most powerful military in the history of the world.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 11, 2017 -> 12:40 PM)
If it wasn't for the damage he is going to do to people and the country, that would be the most frustrating thing about this. The Russians brought a camera crew to their meeting. They took pictures. Liars.

Maybe we are saying the same thing but BECAUSE of the damaging things he is doing to the country it is the frustrating thing about this. In order to get milquetoast Republican policy through, they are willing to quite frankly destroy our political order.

We had an independent DOJ. It was tried and tested and proven after being tested in Bush era US Att. purge that Comey himself made his name for. We had an independent FBI. We could trust that they would take BIG scandals like this at least seriously. We don't know if we do anymore.

The cynical part of me wants to highlight that the reason they are so obtuse about openly commenting that they are actively talking about an ongoing investigation that they are a under, and not even walking a tight rope about how they are interfering with it, is because they know they will not be held accountable by the Republican congress.