President Donald Trump: The Thread

Steve9347

Happy Women's Health Week and Month

President Donald Trump’s administration announced the details Monday of the president’s unprecedented international anti-abortion policy, which drastically expands the “global gag rule” that past Republican presidents have placed on U.S. health assistance funds.

The gag rule, also known as the Mexico City policy, blocks international family planning assistance through the U.S. Agency for International Development to any groups or programs that provide or even mention abortions to women, or speak out about abortion laws in their own countries. It was last implemented by President George W. Bush and then was repealed by President Barack Obama.

Trump’s plan, called Protecting Life in Global Health Assistance, goes much further than that. The policy applies the anti-abortion rule to $8.8 billion in global health funding furnished by the State Department, USAID and the Department of Defense, instead of only $600 million in family planning funding. This means that a clinic receiving U.S. assistance for HIV or Zika relief will lose all that money if it so much as gives pregnant women information about safe abortion care.

"Today, the Trump administration confirmed our worst fears regarding this new, drastically expanded global gag executive order,” Shaheen said. “This administration’s pathetic rebranding of this policy ‎is a thinly veiled attempt to hide the tremendous harm it has around the world. President Trump’s dangerous obsession with rolling back reproductive rights has severe consequences for millions of vulnerable women and children, and grossly undermines our nation’s humanitarian leadership around the globe.”

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ May 17, 2017 -> 11:33 AM)
Well, technically it IS hearsay (an out of court statement being used to prove the matter asserted), but it would still be allowed as it falls under at least one of the exceptions to admitting hearsay evidence - party admissions. It's a note about what Trump said directly to Comey.

edit: "it" being Trump's statement that Comey noted in his memo.

I'm not a trial attorney, but I think the memo really would be used to rehabilitate Comey following cross examination. Further bolstered by contemporaneous statements to senior FBI agents that the memo existed immediately after the meeting in question. It makes Comey's testimony unimpeachable. The only person who was present to refute the account is Trump himself who would have the greatest motivation to lie, and his reputation for veracity would be attacked to no end.

QUOTE (G&T @ May 17, 2017 -> 12:46 PM)
I'm not a trial attorney, but I think the memo really would be used to rehabilitate Comey following cross examination. Further bolstered by contemporaneous statements to senior FBI agents that the memo existed immediately after the meeting in question. It makes Comey's testimony unimpeachable. The only person who was present to refute the account is Trump himself who would have the greatest motivation to lie, and his reputation for veracity would be attacked to no end.

I think the answer is the following:

The memorandum isnt hearsay, but the statements that Trump made are hearsay. They could use the memorandum however they wanted, I would expect in direct something like the following:

Q: "What happened after the meeting?"

A: "I wrote a memorandum about what happened in the meeting."

-Lay foundation

Q: "Is this the memorandum"

A: Yes

-Enter into evidence

That being said as Jenks pointed out the statements are exceptions to the hearsay rule and therefore would be admissible.

Alan Neuhauser @alneuhauser

BREAKING: @SheriffClarke announces he will "accept an appointment as an assistant secretary in the Department of Homeland Security."

This is that insane sheriff from Milwaukee who's deputies recently murdered an inmate via intentional dehydration.

Better than 10%.

Compared unfavorably with Tebow (.227/645 ops) and MJ hitting in the minors.

As far as Clarke goes, probably wanted to get into the admin before Trump was impeached.

And does anyone know if Dr. Ben Carson is still alive????? Talk about Conway-esque level disappearing.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ May 17, 2017 -> 03:23 PM)
This quote is better:

Yeah I was trying to contrast ICE's statement about "LOOK HOW MANY PEOPLE WE ARRESTED!" with the fact that most of the people they arrested are legal US citizens because ICE is an awful, awful organization.

More on Clarke:

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 17, 2017 -> 02:31 PM)
This is that insane sheriff from Milwaukee who's deputies recently murdered an inmate via intentional dehydration.

he's also known for killing a baby in his jail and for trying to cover up one of his deputies t-boning another driver by accusing that driver of being drunk and pressing charges against her while sitting on evidence that completely exonerated her.

http://fox6now.com/2014/07/07/fox6-investi...-clarke-others/

Trump’s first full education budget: Deep cuts to public school programs in pursuit of school choice

Funding for college work-study programs would be cut in half, public-service loan forgiveness would end and hundreds of millions of dollars that public schools could use for mental health, advanced coursework and other services would vanish under a Trump administration plan to cut $10.6 billion from federal education initiatives, according to budget documents obtained by The Washington Post.

The administration would channel part of the savings into its top priority: school choice. It seeks to spend about $400 million to expand charter schools and vouchers for private and religious schools, and another $1 billion to push public schools to adopt choice-friendly policies.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 17, 2017 -> 04:06 PM)

My wife and I have planned for the last 5-6 years on that 10 year forgiveness program. We purposefully pay as little as possible towards my wife's undergrad and grad loans knowing that it will benefit us when the 10 year mark hits in another year and a half. I'm going to be pretty pissed if they cut the program entirely and apply it all the way back to when it started.

Burn the entire GOP to the ground.

Ryan asked who the Russians “delivered” the opposition research to.

“There’s... there’s two people, I think, Putin pays: Rohrabacher and Trump,” McCarthy said, drawing some laughter. “Swear to God,” McCarthy added.

“This is an off the record,” Ryan said.

Some lawmakers laughed at that.

“No leaks, alright?,” Ryan said, adding: “This is how we know we’re a real family here.”

“That’s how you know that we’re tight,” Scalise said.

“What’s said in the family stays in the family,” Ryan added.