President Donald Trump: The Thread

Steve9347

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 11:35 AM)
Eighth person identified from Trump Jr meeting, a Russian real estate developer who's been contacted by Mueller's team.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/eig...5e83_story.html

I don't think kushner's security clearance form has been updated to include all of these people he forgot about yet

He's a suspected money launderer

https://twitter.com/dmartosko/status/887369...src=twsrc%5Etfw

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 09:42 AM)
I'd be curious to see what the question was. There's a difference IMO between people believing that Trump Jr. met with a Russian citizen versus "Russia" or an agent of Russia. Do we know if those Russians in the meeting were agents speaking on behalf of the Putin?

Re the bolded, in case you didn't see this here's an ex-CIA officer interpretation saying "If they were trying to actively recruit them this is exactly what step 3 or 4 in the process would look like"

But everything we know about the meeting — from whom it involved to how it was set up to how it unfolded — is in line with what intelligence analysts would expect an overture in a Russian influence operation to look like. It bears all the hallmarks of a professionally planned, carefully orchestrated intelligence soft pitch designed to gauge receptivity, while leaving room for plausible deniability in case the approach is rejected. And the Trump campaign’s willingness to take the meeting — and, more important, its failure to report the episode to U.S. authorities — may have been exactly the green light Russia was looking for to launch a more aggressive phase of intervention in the U.S. election.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 05:17 PM)
There was a second previously undisclosed meeting between Trump and Putin at G20

https://twitter.com/DafnaLinzer/status/8874...src=twsrc%5Etfw

The only people present were Trump, Putin, and Putin's translator. That the President did not have a translator present is another break in standard national security protocol, although the Hill suggests the President likely would not know that (because you know, it's only been 6 months and that's not enough time to learn stuff)

QUOTE (Quin @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 07:01 PM)
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/19/us/polit...re-iphone-share

He's so very f***ed and he knows it.

I don't think his brain is capable of processing that sort of thought, but I'm amazed his lawyers are on board with this interview.

It's hard to pick a favorite between threatening Mueller, insulting sessions, accusing Comey of perjury, but I think this sequence on Putin is the best:

i barely even saw him > i mean we talked for a minute > or like 15 > actually we got a lot in, like this adoption thing? don jr was looking into it before.

QUOTE (Quin @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 07:01 PM)
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/19/us/polit...re-iphone-share

He's so very f***ed and he knows it.

The actual transcript of the interview is bonkers. That man's brain is very far from okay.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.nytimes...script.amp.html

HABERMAN: That’s been the thing for four years. When you win an entitlement, you can’t take it back.

TRUMP: But what it does, Maggie, it means it gets tougher and tougher. As they get something, it gets tougher. Because politically, you can’t give it away. So pre-existing conditions are a tough deal. Because you are basically saying from the moment the insurance, you’re 21 years old, you start working and you’re paying $12 a year for insurance, and by the time you’re 70, you get a nice plan. Here’s something where you walk up and say, “I want my insurance.” It’s a very tough deal, but it is something that we’re doing a good job of.

TRUMP: I have had the best reviews on foreign land. So I go to Poland and make a speech. Enemies of mine in the media, enemies of mine are saying it was the greatest speech ever made on foreign soil by a president. I’m saying, man, they cover [garbled]. You saw the reviews I got on that speech. Poland was beautiful and wonderful, and the reception was incredible.

TRUMP: And it was one of the most beautiful parades I have ever seen. And in fact, we should do one one day down Pennsylvania Ave.

HABERMAN: I wondered if you were going to say that.

TRUMP: I’ve always thought of that.

HABERMAN: Really?

TRUMP: I’ve always thought of that. I’ve thought of it long before.

TRUMP: But the Bastille Day parade was — now that was a super-duper — O.K. I mean, that was very much more than normal. They must have had 200 planes over our heads. Normally you have the planes and that’s it, like the Super Bowl parade. And everyone goes crazy, and that’s it. That happened for — and you know what else that was nice? It was limited. You know, it was two hours, and the parade ended. It didn’t go a whole day. They didn’t go crazy. You don’t want to leave, but you have to. Or

TRUMP: It’s been a long time. Nothing changes. Wait till you see what we’re going to do on trade.

HABERMAN: Sounds like it’s going to be very interesting.

TRUMP: Much more interesting than anybody would understand.

HABERMAN: O.K.

TRUMP: Well, Napoleon finished a little bit bad. But I asked that. So I asked the president, so what about Napoleon? He said: “No, no, no. What he did was incredible. He designed Paris.” [garbled] The street grid, the way they work, you know, the spokes. He did so many things even beyond. And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death. How many times has Russia been saved by the weather? [garbled]

[crosstalk/unintelligible]

TRUMP: Same thing happened to Hitler. Not for that reason, though. Hitler wanted to consolidate. He was all set to walk in. But he wanted to consolidate, and it went and dropped to 35 degrees below zero, and that was the end of that army.

TRUMP: So think of this. Mike. He illegally leaks, and everyone thinks it is illegal, and by the way, it looks like it’s classified and all that stuff. So he got — not a smart guy — he got tricked into that, because they didn’t even ask him that question. They asked him another question, O.K.?

________

TRUMP: He said I said “hope” — “I hope you can treat Flynn good” or something like that. I didn’t say anything.

But even if he did — like I said at the news conference on the, you know, Rose Garden — even if I did, that’s not — other people go a step further. I could have ended that whole thing just by saying — they say it can’t be obstruction because you can say: “It’s ended. It’s over. Period.”

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 07:33 AM)
It's as if he is playing lawyer and trying to get off on technicalities. Intent has nothing to do with it.

My biggest issue with all of this is how overt he is that his people should serve in Trump's best interests. Sessions recuses himself on Russia? Trump wouldn't have tapped him for AG if he'd known that (ie, the AG should be protecting the President). The FBI Director should report directly to the President. Governing this nation is not about ego and it's not about the best interest of the President. It's about doing what's best for the country.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Jul 20, 2017 -> 10:49 AM)
My biggest issue with all of this is how overt he is that his people should serve in Trump's best interests. Sessions recuses himself on Russia? Trump wouldn't have tapped him for AG if he'd known that (ie, the AG should be protecting the President). The FBI Director should report directly to the President. Governing this nation is not about ego and it's not about the best interest of the President. It's about doing what's best for the country.

They were pretty clear it would be about serving this guy rather than the country when he was running and that's what the United States voted for.

It says an equal amount that Jeff Sessions accepted this job and has yet to resign. He doesn't care how much he's berated as long as he gets to target his real enemies.

Trump has asked about his ability to pardon aides, family members — and even himself.

Some of President Trump’s lawyers are exploring ways to limit or undercut special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s Russia investigation, building a case against what they allege are his conflicts of interest and discussing the president’s authority to grant pardons, according to people familiar with the effort.

Trump has asked his advisers about his power to pardon aides, family members and even himself in connection with the probe, according to one of those people. A second person said Trump’s lawyers have been discussing the president’s pardoning powers among themselves.

The president is also irritated by the notion that Mueller’s probe could reach into his and his family’s finances, advisers said.

Trump has been fuming about the probe in recent weeks as he has been informed about the legal questions that he and his family could face. His primary frustration centers on why allegations that his campaign coordinated with Russia should spread into scrutinizing many years of Trump dealmaking. He has told aides he was especially disturbed after learning Mueller would be able to access several years of his tax returns.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/tru...m=.b07798695e15