President Donald Trump: The Thread

Steve9347

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 10:47 AM)
What's the difference legally?

Frankly if it was as a candidate I would assume it's more likely to get rolled into the illegal hacking of the emails themselves which could be criminal under the computer fraud and abuse act, during the transition there could be reasonable motions to begin the foreign relationships prior to becoming president.

OTOH, during transition could also have been the communication to undercut the sanctions being put in place during Obama administration.

That part I have no idea if is even criminal, so it would largely result on it being considered politically terrible.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 10:56 AM)
Trump's former national security adviser is being referred to as a "former Obama administration official" by Trump's team, and the WH bizarrely seems to think this is the one possible charge against Flynn and doesn't reach anyone within the White House. Okay.

Obama warned Trump about Flynn. That makes it even more hilarious. But his base believes everything out of his mouth.

Kushner Is Said to Have Ordered Flynn to Contact Russia

Now that the retired general has pleaded guilty, the president's son-in-law could be one of the next dominoes to fall.

Former national security adviser Michael Flynn's guilty plea Friday for lying to the FBI is alarming news for Donald Trump. But the first person it's likely to jeopardize will be the president's son-in-law, Jared Kushner.

Two former officials with the Trump transition team who worked closely with Flynn say that during the last days of the Obama administration, the retired general was instructed to contact foreign ambassadors and foreign ministers of countries on the U.N. Security Council, ahead of a vote condemning Israeli settlements. Flynn was told to try to get them to delay that vote until after Barack Obama had left office, or oppose the resolution altogether.

That is relevant now because one of Flynn’s lies to the FBI was when he said that he never asked Russia's ambassador to Washington, Sergey Kislyak, to delay the vote for the U.N. Security Council resolution. The indictment released today from the office of special prosecutor Robert Mueller describes this lie: "On or about December 22, 2016, Flynn did not ask the Russian Ambassador to delay the vote on or defeat a pending United Nations Security Council resolution."

At the time, the U.N. Security Council resolution on Israeli settlements was a big deal. Even though the Obama administration had less than a month left in office, the president instructed his ambassador to the United Nations to abstain from a resolution, breaking a precedent that went back to 1980 when it came to one-sided anti-Israel resolutions at the U.N.

No, that's how these sort of deals work. They're charging him with something fairly minimal, but the plea agreement specifically says "this isn't all that we know." Flynn is well aware and I'm sure discussions included numerous other charges they were ready to bring if he didn't cooperate.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 01:49 PM)
No, that's how these sort of deals work. They're charging him with something fairly minimal, but the plea agreement specifically says "this isn't all that we know." Flynn is well aware and I'm sure discussions included numerous other charges they were ready to bring if he didn't cooperate.

I suspect they are using his son as a pawn here.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 02:01 PM)
I suspect they are using his son as a pawn here.

his son just tweeted some Trump Jr-esque type incriminating stuff. Everything i have read has indicated Sr's main goal was taking heat off Jr, because they know that kidnapping charge would be really bad for the both of them

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 01:49 PM)

Okay so the fact that he is even being offered such a lesser charge against him proves that whatever he can give Mueller must be f***ing juicy otherwise he would have been in jail for the rest of his life.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 09:03 PM)
his son just tweeted some Trump Jr-esque type incriminating stuff. Everything i have read has indicated Sr's main goal was taking heat off Jr, because they know that kidnapping charge would be really bad for the both of them

Careful, I've seen a fake Flynn Jr. twitter account being passed around. Something about "Dad is a good guy, got caught up with bad people."

The real account doesn't have any post for the last few days (unless what you're referring to was deleted).