President Donald Trump: The Thread

Steve9347

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 03:18 PM)
Working with the National Democratic Redistricting Committee

I would suggest that is making things worse, not better, in terms of removing gerrymandering. It's by nature a partisan effort. Not to say it's evil or anything, it's part of the current game. Just that it does nothing to get us to a better place overall.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 01:35 PM)
Um...

1. Obama won handily across the Rust Belt - twice. It wasn't a Dem failure, it was a Hillary Clinton failure, combined with a very unusual GOP candidate. It's the definition of a non-repeating event.

2. Obama never enacted a policy even remotely like this. There is nothing based in fact about your claim. He issued a statement urging US citizens to not visiting a certain list of countries, while in the throes of the Arab Spring. That is nothing like banning people FROM those countries from coming to the US. Or, if you are referring to the Iraq order, that was one country (not seven), and made no reference to religion (which is a key issue here), and also did not apply to legal residents but instead NEW applications for entry.

All Trump has achieved so far is to ensure that the Republican party is going to get their asses kicked in 2018.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 02:06 PM)
Also of note for the 2018 Midterms - control of the US house, and control of the state houses, means control over districting (gerrymandering - which both parties do all the time) in 2020. That's a big deal, because the biggest reason the US house has remained so red in the last decade is the 2010 census and redistricting efforts.

The major redistricting will happen after the 2020 census, so it's the 2020 state house races that are crucial as those will determine who is in office in 2021 when the districts are being redrawn. That's why Republicans were able to make so many changes after getting beat bad in 2008 but coming back very strong in 2010.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 03:47 PM)
All Trump has achieved so far is to ensure that the Republican party is going to get their asses kicked in 2018.

Short of some massive unprecedented wave that basically wipes out the GOP, they'll still be able to hold the Senate. A big majority of the seats up for re-election in 2018 are D, and the R seats that aren't up are pretty safe.

Bigger impact could be the House and state races.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 03:48 PM)
The major redistricting will happen after the 2020 census, so it's the 2020 state house races that are crucial as those will determine who is in office in 2021 when the districts are being redrawn. That's why Republicans were able to make so many changes after getting beat bad in 2008 but coming back very strong in 2010.

And the Dems will have at least half of Congress and the Presidency back by then.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 09:42 PM)
I would suggest that is making things worse, not better, in terms of removing gerrymandering. It's by nature a partisan effort. Not to say it's evil or anything, it's part of the current game. Just that it does nothing to get us to a better place overall.

If that group makes efforts to unfairly gerrymander themselves, that would certainly make them part of the problem, but if they mainly focus on bringing things closer to neutral, that seems good to me.

I mentioned it earlier, but here's the exact quote from Spicer where he uses the white supremacist attack on a mosque in Quebec as justification for Trump's Muslim Ban.

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000588890

"We condemn this attack in the strongest possible terms. It's a terrible reminder of why we must remain vigilant, and why the president is taking steps to be proactive rather than reactive when it comes to our nation's security"

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 03:42 PM)

Well, if the Republicans at a national level have expended significant funds to gerrymander House districts (and I can cite to plenty of articles that suggest the Republican efforts nationally have been successful), then logically the only way to tilt the playing field back is for the Ds to invest money to tilt House districting back the other way.

What we are going to get from Obama and Holder is more likely to push for consistent national standards on drawing Congressional Districts than where things stand currently, as the Republicans really have no incentive to seek bipartisan efforts to fix the problem.

http://www.politifact.com/texas/statements...landed-33-seat/

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 03:53 PM)
Why? Trump being horrible didn't cost the GOP the Presidency, the House, or the Senate in 2016.

In a week he has gotten the electorate more involved and impassioned than any President I can recall in my lifetime. Being a horrible candidate and being horrible in office is two different things, especially with 46% of the electorate still on the sidelines. A push of a percentage point or two off of the sideline and into the D column turns this election into a blow out.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 03:53 PM)
Why? Trump being horrible didn't cost the GOP the Presidency, the House, or the Senate in 2016.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 03:57 PM)
In a week he has gotten the electorate more involved and impassioned than any President I can recall in my lifetime. Being a horrible candidate and being horrible in office is two different things, especially with 46% of the electorate still on the sidelines. A push of a percentage point or two off of the sideline and into the D column turns this election into a blow out.

What do people think of this whole "holocaust" controversy? I actually side with Trump on this. He didn't single out any group, but I didn't think there was anything horrible or malicious around his use of words. This is what I think is dangerous about how Trump's detractor's are taking things. If you complain about every little thing, including things, like this, which I generally believe to be small (of course I'd like to think I'm rationale and could be delusional instead) then you start to get people who maybe aren't as logical / rational who look at the media and say, if they are going to complain about every little thing, then it is the old "boy who cried" wolf and you basically are just hammering a person and people stop believing everything (which is the wrong answer).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 10:57 PM)

The Dems need a lot more than a percentage point or two if they want to take the House or the Senate. He doesn't need to simply be horrible. He needs to be SO horrible that it can't be lied about or spun around.

I think you're underestimating his Teflon and overestimating the American peoples' intelligence.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 04:06 PM)
The Dems need a lot more than a percentage point or two if they want to take the House or the Senate. He doesn't need to simply be horrible. He needs to be SO horrible that it can't be lied about or spun around.

I think you're underestimating his Teflon and overestimating the American peoples' intelligence.

He is already poisoning the well rather impressively. A President like W or Obama didn't have a fraction of this hatred aimed at them, and they still had major losses in the off term elections.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 04:03 PM)
What do people think of this whole "holocaust" controversy? I actually side with Trump on this. He didn't single out any group, but I didn't think there was anything horrible or malicious around his use of words. This is what I think is dangerous about how Trump's detractor's are taking things. If you complain about every little thing, including things, like this, which I generally believe to be small (of course I'd like to think I'm rationale and could be delusional instead) then you start to get people who maybe aren't as logical / rational who look at the media and say, if they are going to complain about every little thing, then it is the old "boy who cried" wolf and you basically are just hammering a person and people stop believing everything (which is the wrong answer).

It's mainly that he has a lot of ties and support from white nationalists and saying the holocaust was not targeted to exterminating Jews specifically is a popular form of holocaust denial. To remove mentions of Jews from a holocaust Remembrance Day press release is at best showing their incompetence and at worst a sign of more to come. But of course they go out and try to clarify by actually diminishing that it was about Jews more by saying "lots of people suffered in the holocaust."

Could this be a thing like people assuming saying Islamic terror will save all? Maybe, but he also didn't have to hire a guy who uses his media company to stoke white supremacy memes.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 01:19 PM)
Now were back at it again, having a level 10 freakout over Trump resurrecting Obama's old policies. Protesting on the streets of cities like Seattle, the poster child for "I like people who aren't white to be on my TV, not in my neighborhood", accomplishes nothing. In a way it helps Trump, because nothing grinds the gears of the working poor more than bougie liberals LARPing as activists while ignoring issues that have been brooding in the belly of this country since the 70's.

LOL, and there it is. Reading is FUNdamental

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 04:09 PM)
It's mainly that he has a lot of ties and support from white nationalists and saying the holocaust was not targeted to exterminating Jews specifically is a popular form of holocaust denial. To remove mentions of Jews from a holocaust Remembrance Day press release is at best showing their incompetence and at worst a sign of more to come. But of course they go out and try to clarify by actually diminishing that it was about Jews more by saying "lots of people suffered in the holocaust."

Could this be a thing like people assuming saying Islamic terror will save all? Maybe, but he also didn't have to hire a guy who uses his media company to stoke white supremacy memes.

Bannon's being front-and-center in his administration is what makes it a hell of a lot harder to simply dismiss as an honest mistake. When you put a white nationalist in as your chief policy adviser, you don't get the benefit of the doubt when you "forget" to mention the Jews when talking about the holocaust.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 04:03 PM)

On the surface, its not that bad. When you consider that several members of his staff have taken in part in and believe in Holocaust denial it becomes quite a bit more offensive. White Nationalist HATE "Zionist Jews."