President Donald Trump: The Thread

Steve9347

Overall, some things have been reassuringly resilient (Judicial branch, congressional pressure - as in pressure applied to congress from citizens).

But, I remain very concerned over how scary it will be when a non self inflicted crisis happens. And also very nervous about how big of a hit the tourism industry will see from all of this.

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 3, 2017 -> 03:53 PM)
Trump is demanding investigations of pelosi and Schumer?

He is clearly mocking them.

Though I will ask this much. What are the ACTUAL rules here? I ask because a few months ago when PBS was doing the 16 for 16 series, one of the bits of interest in the Gary Hart feature was that he spent a lot of time meeting with Soviet officials during the election cycle, including conducting talks about nuclear missile reductions on his own.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 3, 2017 -> 04:10 PM)

Though I will ask this much. What are the ACTUAL rules here? I ask because a few months ago when PBS was doing the 16 for 16 series, one of the bits of interest in the Gary Hart feature was that he spent a lot of time meeting with Soviet officials during the election cycle, including conducting talks about nuclear missile reductions on his own.

I think it will be hard to prove illegality here.

I think the moral issue is whether a candidate for president was working with a foreign service to collude a hacking on an opponent, if not the hacking, then the releasing of the hacking information for maximum damage.

If that ends up having happened, that is ... very bad! I don't think that should be done!

Now, is it just a lot of marginalized washington players found themselves to the marginalized campaign, and were marginalized so they found their money by going to a thuggish tyrant, and then kept that influence while still on the campaign? This is very likely what happened.

But - it gets harder to give credit when that country was also very involved in an election activity and also they keep lying about any contacts.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 3, 2017 -> 04:10 PM)

In some cases, like Sessions, the issue for me is about perjury. Dude clearly lied to Congress. Follow that trail. Did he lie out of stupidity, or fear? Was the fear founded in something real or just fright about admitting he spoke with a Russian dude?

I mean it's not a problem that a Senator speaks with a Russian official, necessarily. But Sessions did it on campaign funds, which is also a big problem. So that's another trail to follow.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 3, 2017 -> 04:49 PM)
In some cases, like Sessions, the issue for me is about perjury. Dude clearly lied to Congress. Follow that trail. Did he lie out of stupidity, or fear? Was the fear founded in something real or just fright about admitting he spoke with a Russian dude?

I mean it's not a problem that a Senator speaks with a Russian official, necessarily. But Sessions did it on campaign funds, which is also a big problem. So that's another trail to follow.

This part I get. But that isn't my question. What are the actual rules here?

The lie is so blatant it's not even funny. This controversy around Russian ties to this administration was such a big issue for so long, how in the world could his confirmation prep not include touching on actual meetings he had with Russians? What moron could possibly believe that he forgot?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 3, 2017 -> 04:54 PM)
This part I get. But that isn't my question. What are the actual rules here?

Chaffetz contends that because Sessions was a senator it is not perjury due to some rule.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/03/opinions/why...nion/index.html

Trump's war on reality is truly baffling (excellent piece)

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/hous...s-it-say-235648

New ObamaCare repeal details leaked...

The bill still includes new tax credits for individuals based on age, a proposal that hardline conservatives derided as "Obamacare lite" after POLITICO published a previous version of the draft legislation last week.

However, one significant change to the tax credit is being considered: not allowing wealthier Americans to qualify for assistance. No specific proposal for cutting off eligibility has been added to the legislation, but staff have been directed to come up with possible proposals, according to a source familiar with the deliberations.

The latest draft, dated Feb. 24, also still includes a plan to phase out Obamacare’s Medicaid expansion. Instead the program’s current open-ended federal entitlement would be replaced by capped payments to states based on the number of Medicaid enrollees.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 3, 2017 -> 05:47 PM)
Chaffetz contends that because Sessions was a senator it is not perjury due to some rule.

"It is, at best, very misleading testimony," said Richard Painter, formerly the top ethics lawyer in President George W. Bush's White House. "I don't go so far as to say that it's perjury, but there is a lesser charge of failing to provide accurate information to Congress."

"A nominee at a confirmation hearing has an obligation to provide full and complete information to Congress," Painter continued. "Conduct that might be just short of perjury in a deposition in a typical civil case is entirely inappropriate in front of Congress."

However, such misdemeanor charges are usually only rolled out as part of a plea deal after prosecutors obtain or threaten more serious felony perjury charges. Some lawyers say those would be a stretch in Sessions' case.

"Perjury is very hard to prove," said former House Counsel Stan Brand, who worked for the Democrats. "You have to prove two elements that are very difficult in the Congressional context: one is intent and two is an absolutely clear and unambiguous question."

Politico.com

“Just out: The same Russian Ambassador that met Jeff Sessions visited the Obama White House 22 times, and 4 times last year alone,” Trump tweeted..

Trump small mind doesn't realize that Obama was the sitting president who had the authority to meet with foreign diplomats. "Yahoo Tony" 4 mins ago

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-po...m=.cfaaf78a4c23

Latest WaPo wiretapping story

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_...-03-03-08-20-54

Moscow compares Sessions uproar to McCarthyism....still coordinating news?

What next, Russia hacked Oscars to rally Trump voters against Hollywood glamorization of "perverted" gay black males by exchanging La La Land Best Picture envelope for Moonlight?

SNL will destroy him tonight.

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...src=twsrc%5Etfw

And yet he still has energy to feud with Arnold about Celebrity Apprentice

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 4, 2017 -> 08:08 AM)
“Just out: The same Russian Ambassador that met Jeff Sessions visited the Obama White House 22 times, and 4 times last year alone,” Trump tweeted..

Trump small mind doesn't realize that Obama was the sitting president who had the authority to meet with foreign diplomats. "Yahoo Tony" 4 mins ago

That's the thing with sessions. He could have easily said he met with him as part of his role in the Senate, but he chose to lie about meeting with him at all.

I guess sessions using campaign funds to meet with the ambassador muddies that defense, though.

Gotta give credit to lostfan for this name, but President Sentient Comments Section really encapsulates Trump's whole mindset.

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Mar 4, 2017 -> 08:16 AM)
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8">

what is this wizardry??

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 4, 2017 -> 08:37 AM)
1. Trump is in full panic mode. They must be getting close to the truth about him and Russia

2. His defense is to tweet out stories from Breitbart. Lol

They STILL have Milo's podcast prominently featured...along with an exciting assortment of Breitbart souvenirs.

Edited by caulfield12