Which player will outperform expectations ?

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

With no movement in trades it's a little slow around here .

Make a prediction on who you think will do better than expected. It can be a player on the MLB roster or a minor leaguer who may have a break out season.

No explanation necessary. Might be just a feeling but feel free to expound on something that might have caught your eye be it a statistic or some change that the player made that might take hold.

Can even be one of the highly touted prospects .

JAMES. SHIELDS.

Not sure what the expectations are but I think Timmeh, Rodon, Abreu and Robertson all perform better than last year.

A healthy Charlie Tilson could be a surprise and become the teams new lead off hitter for years to come.

With the Sox rebuilding it could take enough pressure off of Avi to the point where he exceeds expectations but that is a hell of a stretch and wouldn't bet my house on it. I would however bet all of the Soxtalk members house's on Avi. :P

QUOTE (beautox @ Jan 24, 2017 -> 08:30 PM)
Jordan Guerrero

Good call. Don't know what happened to him last year with his walk rate sky rocketing. Been following him for a few years and he had pretty good control so I'm hoping that maybe his arm was a little tired from building up his innings over the last few years.

Since we're talking minor leaguers, I think Hansen will dominate as he ascends through the system and finishes the year in Birmingham with potential to start the '18 season in Charlotte. I really think Hansen was THE steal of the '16 draft.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 24, 2017 -> 08:39 PM)
Good call. Don't know what happened to him last year with his walk rate sky rocketing. Been following him for a few years and he had pretty good control so I'm hoping that maybe his arm was a little tired from building up his innings over the last few years.

Thanks, I just get a very Jaime Garcia vibe from him and I feel there is still a bit of projection left in his frame and the ability to add a tick to his fastball and maintain in the low mid 90s instead of maxing out. I think he repeats AA dominates and moves up to AAA in a very crowded rotation, likely getting some time out of the bullpen late in the year and 1 or 2 starts but impressing along the way.

Adam Engel

Engel will split his time in AAA/MLB and I think he'll eventually get 200-300 at bats at the major league level this year. Engel will struggle in the beginning, but eventually will start to make adjustments with his hitting. He'll bring his plus speed and defense to the team, which will be much needed in the OF. Engel key will be making contact at the MLB level, but will show enough improvement to be part of the future as strong 4th OF or trade bait down the road.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 25, 2017 -> 09:33 AM)
Lawrie will get injured. He always does.

True, but I would expect Moncada to basically play every day at 2B from about June/July through the rest of the remainder of the season. Frazier may or may not get traded in June/July (they could hold onto him and possibly get a comp pick) and even then, they may give playing time to someone like Davidson or Delmonico if either is hitting in the minors.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 25, 2017 -> 09:36 AM)
True, but I would expect Moncada to basically play every day at 2B from about June/July through the rest of the remainder of the season. Frazier may or may not get traded in June/July (they could hold onto him and possibly get a comp pick) and even then, they may give playing time to someone like Davidson or Delmonico if either is hitting in the minors.

Yeah I see that, but I also think that Frazier will move at some point when a contender has a disappointing player or injury.