Report: MLB Plans To Test Extra-Innings Rule Change In Lower Level Min

Panerista

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 8, 2017 -> 06:52 PM)
Do what you want in the minors, but for the major leagues? No.

I'd be more for ties after 12 innings than starting a guy on 2nd base.

That's how I feel, too. In fact, I would go as far as saying do this everywhere except the majors. There's no need to have MLB prospects playing extra innings.

Wait, I'm the only person who likes this? Hmm. I don't have a problem with long games or even baseball's pace, but to throw something in to extras to raise the stakes, I love it! It reminds me of NCAAF starting OT at the opp's 25, and I am a huge fan of college OT.

Now, full disclosure, I was at CitiField for the final game of the 2010 season. Non-contender Mets vs. non-contender Nationals. 1-1, top of the 14th, Oliver Perez walks four straight, Mets go down in order in the bottom half and everybody scoots off to play f***ing golf. Yeah, sorry, liven that s*** up.

I guess the baseball gods were making up for letting me watch a no-hitter from the front row earlier in the year in Atlanta...

QUOTE (StrykerSox @ Feb 8, 2017 -> 09:21 PM)
Wait, I'm the only person who likes this? Hmm. I don't have a problem with long games or even baseball's pace, but to throw something in to extras to raise the stakes, I love it! It reminds me of NCAAF starting OT at the opp's 25, and I am a huge fan of college OT.

Now, full disclosure, I was at CitiField for the final game of the 2010 season. Non-contender Mets vs. non-contender Nationals. 1-1, top of the 14th, Oliver Perez walks four straight, Mets go down in order in the bottom half and everybody scoots off to play f***ing golf. Yeah, sorry, liven that s*** up.

I guess the baseball gods were making up for letting me watch a no-hitter from the front row earlier in the year in Atlanta...

In travel baseball this is how they break ties in tournaments. Put a man on second. They also make it 1 out with 1-1 on every hitter. California rules. It sucks.

Edited by southsideirish71

Baseball has the best overtime of any popular sport since it always renders a winner and the gameplay is unchanged. Why ruin it?

I'm happy for them to shorten minor league games, but if it is indeed seen as a test for a future MLB rule then I say it's a solution in search of a problem.

Interesting. I think the rule should be, "any game that exceeds four hours you put the runner on second base in each extra inning." There is no reason in the world games should take longer than 4 fricking hours. I wouldn't even balk at 3 1/2 hours, but my rule would be regular rules until we exceed four hours. Then the runner goes to second base to start the inning.

It would be interesting to see how many managers simply bunt the runner to third, then get a sac fly. That wouldn't accomplish much I guess.

I honestly don't mind this, outside of how it's going to affect statistics. Baseball is SUCH a statistic driven game, that relievers are going to have really inflated ERAs when all they allow is a single in one AB and they get stuck with a loss, and an earned run.

Actually, as long as they make it an unearned run, I'm ok with this.

Baseball is just a naturally slow paced game, with the occasional roller coaster game. The only way they are going to drastically change anything will be by changing its nature... like having timed innings instead of a certain number of outs, or changing it from 3 outs to 2 our something like that. The game is fine as is. Everyone these days just wants everything to be fast... don't fix something that ain't broke!!

Edited by Scoots

That isn't baseball. If they are worried about time and pitcher usage, why not go farther, eliminate the inevitable bunt the first batter will perform, give teams a runner on 3rd with 1 out.

The game isn't broken. No need to fix it. Speed up the rest of the game. No one complains about extra innings or overtimes in other sports causing the game to be too long. It's the time wasting during regulation that needs to be addressed.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Feb 9, 2017 -> 08:05 AM)
I don't understand why they need to speed up the game at all. It's fine the way it is. If people have short attention spans, then don't watch the game. No need to ruin it for everyone else.

I don't need a Yankee Red Sox game that lasts 4 1/2 hours because Pedroia wants to readjust his gloves between every pitch. It isn't fine the way it is, it needs tweaking

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Feb 9, 2017 -> 08:20 AM)
The pace of play problem needs to be addressed with AL East teams. Playing them is unbearable.

It is the style of play everyone wants the White Sox to play. Work counts, yank the starter quickly. Use the bullpen like crazy.

It makes for a long game. They do need to make guys stay in the box, make pitchers be more like Mark Buerhle with their pace, eliminate the catcher going out to the mound every hitter, and eliminate the pitches on the intentional walk.

I don't know why more pitchers aren't adapting the Buerhle pace. It works pretty well for most who use it.

Edited by Dick Allen

I don't mind this for minor league games. Really doesn't matter if a minor league team wins or loses. It's not really needed at the MLB level. The only way I may accept it is if maybe having the rule go into effect after the 12th inning? Those long games aren't fun when you run out of pitchers and use the next day's starters or bench players. If anything, they should expand active rosters by 2-3 spots.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 9, 2017 -> 08:26 AM)
I don't mind this for minor league games. Really doesn't matter if a minor league team wins or loses. It's not really needed at the MLB level. The only way I may accept it is if maybe having the rule go into effect after the 12th inning? Those long games aren't fun when you run out of pitchers and use the next day's starters or bench players. If anything, they should expand active rosters by 2-3 spots.

When I was a little kid, most teams had 10 pitchers on the roster and sometimes were down to 9. Now they have 12 or 13. I understand what you are saying, and it really is not fair to hang it on a manager for not playing the 9th, 10th, or 11th inning like it might be possible the game goes 13 or 14 innings, but it's the same for both sides. I am against changing the rules because of inning number.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Feb 9, 2017 -> 08:15 AM)
I don't know what games you're watching on a regular basis but most games aren't 4 1/2 hours.

ORLY? Hyperbole maybe? Or do you really think Pedroia checks his gloves between every pitch(even though he kind of does)

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/mlb-gam...w-to-fix-051716

The changes helped cut the average game length by 12 minutes, from three hours and eight minutes in 2014 to two hours and 56 minutes a year ago – but baseball games were still more than 20 minutes longer than the average NHL game and 40 minutes longer than the average NBA game. MLB games are shorter than an average NFL game – but it’s far more reasonable for fans to spend three hours watching a football game once a week than the same amount of time every day to follow their favorite baseball team.

Baseball games are getting longer this season, though. According to ESPN, the length of average MLB game in 2016 has stretched three hours and 26 seconds.

It can be tweaked

But are extra innings really the problem (particularly with non-baseball fans)? In a given season, about 10% of the games go into extra innings. Of those, the vast majority only need an extra inning or two to complete. I would argue that the non-baseball fan is going to think that baseball is long whether it goes 9 innings or 11.

A handful of games each year turn into marathons of 14-18 innings. But that’s so few as to be statistically insignificant, really. To me, this move from the MLB is a solution in search of a problem. Extra innings aren’t the problem. Pace of play is a problem.