Report: MLB Plans To Test Extra-Innings Rule Change In Lower Level Min

Panerista

QUOTE (Soha @ Feb 9, 2017 -> 09:50 AM)
I think manager's use of bullpen's is the biggest problem. When they're changing pitchers every batter or every other batter for the lefty righty matchups...that's what you get. It didn't used to be so crazy with pitching changes.

This doesn't bother me as much as mound visits. Some catchers turn games into slogs by going to talk to pitchers too frequently, Mauer used to be the worst

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Feb 9, 2017 -> 08:05 AM)
I don't understand why they need to speed up the game at all. It's fine the way it is. If people have short attention spans, then don't watch the game. No need to ruin it for everyone else.

It's not for you and I, its for the future generations that don't have the attention spans. And frankly, it probably has to be done. I don't like this suggestion, but would want to speed the game up.

You either adapt or you die. I'm sure there was some rule that was put in place in 1900 that people complained would ruin the game forever and it didn't.

They aren't going to shorten commercials as this is revenue, so if they really want to speed up the game it will be between pitches and visits to mounds and challenges, etc.

Point is? I love baseball and the pace, etc. but everybody has a busy life and I don't think many will argue that watching a Buehrle game wasn't always better. A two and half hour game was always the best.

I don't really care if the game lasts longer if there isn't as much deadtime. I think most fans would be fine if the game was longer if it meant more action. We just need more Mark Buehrles and fewer Pedro Baezs in the league. Was a game that Buehrle started ever boring?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 9, 2017 -> 10:18 AM)
A guy I worked with knows a Reinsdorf and got some freebies in 2005 front row behind the Sox dugout. He invited me. Buerhle pitched. It went 1 hour 39 minutes. Sox won 2-1. Paulie hit 2 homers. The vendors were not happy.

Against Seattle? I was there with my dad, brother and uncle. Buehrle gave up 2 hits I think (both to Ichiro).

Was also at the Home Opener in 05 which I believe was just under 2 hours.

Edit: It was really fun when Buehrle and Sale faced each other in 15 I think it was.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 9, 2017 -> 09:46 AM)
But are extra innings really the problem (particularly with non-baseball fans)? In a given season, about 10% of the games go into extra innings. Of those, the vast majority only need an extra inning or two to complete. I would argue that the non-baseball fan is going to think that baseball is long whether it goes 9 innings or 11.

A handful of games each year turn into marathons of 14-18 innings. But that’s so few as to be statistically insignificant, really. To me, this move from the MLB is a solution in search of a problem. Extra innings aren’t the problem. Pace of play is a problem.

I think you hit the nail on the head in the major leagues. Extra inning games are not a problem. Let it be in the minors. It's fine.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 9, 2017 -> 10:19 AM)
Against Seattle? I was there with my dad, brother and uncle. Buehrle gave up 2 hits I think (both to Ichiro).

Was also at the Home Opener in 05 which I believe was just under 2 hours.

Edit: It was really fun when Buehrle and Sale faced each other in 15 I think it was.

I was at that one as well. I think it was 3 hits actually to Ichiro. He finally got him out in the 9th iirc.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Feb 9, 2017 -> 09:30 PM)
I want to see balls and strikes determined by a computers and cameras too. Take moody umps out of the equation.

I still say there's an umpire conspiracy. They refuse to call the strike zone and they have out of protest the past many years. They won't call any pitch above the belt a strike.

It's amazing how the players and owners have had harmony the last many years. The umpires however strike me as whiny workers who do not care about baseball at all. Maybe if the TV announcers could interview umpires like the old days, put 'em on TV, they'd get famous, feel important and call the fricking strike zone.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Feb 8, 2017 -> 09:25 PM)
In travel baseball this is how they break ties in tournaments. Put a man on second. They also make it 1 out with 1-1 on every hitter. California rules. It sucks.

It makes sense to do something drastic like that in a tournament situation where you have 5 or 6 games being played on the same field in one day, but it's asinine to do it in MLB.

When I was a kid, my sister played in a softball tournament. One day, a couple of the early games went long, and there was a weather delay. Her game didn't start until after Midnight. There IS a time and a place for a rule like this.