RUMOR: Nothing to see here

Y2Jimmy0

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 9, 2017 -> 03:30 PM)
Except we won't be able to sign him for some time. He's off the Twins for 40-man roster and paying him so there is no reason for them to release him if they can keep him in AAA.

I shouldn't have said sign, I meant claim/acquire.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 9, 2017 -> 03:59 PM)
I shouldn't have said sign, I meant claim/acquire.

Somehow he went unclaimed.

Fangraphs wrote a recent article on him, and he squares up the balls in which he contacts the 2nd highest rate in baseball. And he was like 8th best in exit velocity. He hammers the ball when he actually makes contact. With a better contact rate, he's an easy 30 HR candidate.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Feb 9, 2017 -> 04:04 PM)
Somehow he went unclaimed.

Fangraphs wrote a recent article on him, and he squares up the balls in which he contacts the 2nd highest rate in baseball. And he was like 8th best in exit velocity. He hammers the ball when he actually makes contact. With a better contact rate, he's an easy 30 HR candidate.

Its actually not that surprising. Carter just signed a 1 year $3 mill deal. This guy is making that every year next 3 years and was awful last season.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Feb 9, 2017 -> 04:12 PM)
And Chris Carter signing for so little is surprising as well.

I mean, maybe a little surprising, but he's a guy with one tool. He can hit the snot off of a baseball when he makes contact, and that's it. If the power tails from where it is - among the best in the league - he's virtually a replacement level player, like he was in 2015 (0.4 WAR). This year he was 0.9.

He has value, but he is a highly flawed player with no versatility beyond 1B and no value beyond hitting the ball a mile.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 9, 2017 -> 09:44 PM)
I mean, maybe a little surprising, but he's a guy with one tool. He can hit the snot off of a baseball when he makes contact, and that's it. If the power tails from where it is - among the best in the league - he's virtually a replacement level player, like he was in 2015 (0.4 WAR). This year he was 0.9.

He has value, but he is a highly flawed player with no versatility beyond 1B and no value beyond hitting the ball a mile.

Well, 0.9 WAR would be worth about $6.5M annually. I figured Carter would have gotten at least 1 yr/$5-6M somewhere.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 10, 2017 -> 07:06 AM)
Alvarez is out there and put up .7 WAR. He could be a very cheap signing as well.

But why pay for a .7 WAR guy when someone from the minors would be nearly as good? .7 of a win is not worth spending money on.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 10, 2017 -> 10:53 AM)
But why pay for a .7 WAR guy when someone from the minors would be nearly as good? .7 of a win is not worth spending money on.

I wasn't really trying to advocate it. I meant just in general for any team. I would rather have an open spot for in-house options or a higher upside signing to flip.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Feb 10, 2017 -> 02:20 AM)
Well, 0.9 WAR would be worth about $6.5M annually. I figured Carter would have gotten at least 1 yr/$5-6M somewhere.

His floor is probably that of a 0 or -1 WAR player though too, and it also sort of dictates how the league views him too. A $3 million salary is that of a part time player.