Spring Training notes thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 01:49 PM)
Anyone worried the Sox are going better than we need them to be this season? All the info about Rick Rentaria, energy he brings and how the clubhouse is meshing together. I think Sox will overachieve in 2017. Just a random thought.

I wouldn't say worried, but I can see this team finishing around .500 depending how long it takes to move Frazier/Cabrera/Quintana.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 01:49 PM)
Anyone worried the Sox are going better than we need them to be this season? All the info about Rick Rentaria, energy he brings and how the clubhouse is meshing together. I think Sox will overachieve in 2017. Just a random thought.

If that is really the case, it means at least some of the guys who had bottomed out, will see their trade values rebound, and the Sox will benefit greatly from being able to deal them again.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 02:15 PM)
I wouldn't say worried, but I can see this team finishing around .500 depending how long it takes to move Frazier/Cabrera/Quintana.

I don't see how this team could possibly finish .500 with a 3/4/5 of Gonzalez/Holland/Shields. Those guys are going to lose a ton of games. On top of that, we have some massive holes in our lineup and what should be a poor defensive OF. I'm not sure in its current state we'll be able to challenge the Padres for worst team in baseball, but we should definitely be a bad team and will get worse when we start dumping some of our productive bats & relievers.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 02:40 PM)
I don't see how this team could possibly finish .500 with a 3/4/5 of Gonzalez/Holland/Shields. Those guys are going to lose a ton of games. On top of that, we have some massive holes in our lineup and what should be a poor defensive OF. I'm not sure in its current state we'll be able to challenge the Padres for worst team in baseball, but we should definitely be a bad team and will get worse when we start dumping some of our productive bats & relievers.

Agreed. I don't see this team winning 70 games. There will be moments when it's genuinely fun to watch the team play, but they are not going to be good.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 02:40 PM)

I feel like Holland is going to be better than people are giving him credit for, Gonzalez should be decent and Shields is probably going to be a Jekyl and Hyde type of season where he has an equal amount of good and bad outings. Every year people talk about the massive holes in the lineup, but they still have above average players at 1B, SS, 3B, and LF. Depending on what happens in RF, this team could be plus defensively across the diamond. I also think with the team composition you will see the team take a lot of extra bases and really grind on offense more than they have in a long time. I think the bullpen will be improved from last year with Robertson recovered and Jones, Jennings, and a bounceback from Petricka.

Or it could all fall apart. But this team reminds me of one of those A's teams that you think should never compete, but ends up in the middle of things in July and fades out after that.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 03:28 PM)
I feel like Holland is going to be better than people are giving him credit for, Gonzalez should be decent and Shields is probably going to be a Jekyl and Hyde type of season where he has an equal amount of good and bad outings. Every year people talk about the massive holes in the lineup, but they still have above average players at 1B, SS, 3B, and LF. Depending on what happens in RF, this team could be plus defensively across the diamond. I also think with the team composition you will see the team take a lot of extra bases and really grind on offense more than they have in a long time. I think the bullpen will be improved from last year with Robertson recovered and Jones, Jennings, and a bounceback from Petricka.

Or it could all fall apart. But this team reminds me of one of those A's teams that you think should never compete, but ends up in the middle of things in July and fades out after that.

Melky is a below average LF, Tilson should be average at best in CF, & Avi is pretty horrendous in RF other than his arm. Now the overall OF defense could change depending where Bourjous (or even Liriano) fits in, but I'm not seeing a plus OF at all. I think we'll pretty strong at SS & 2B and solid at 3B, but overall I think we'll be a below average defensive team.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 03:49 PM)
Melky is a below average LF, Tilson should be average at best in CF, & Avi is pretty horrendous in RF other than his arm. Now the overall OF defense could change depending where Bourjous (or even Liriano) fits in, but I'm not seeing a plus OF at all. I think we'll pretty strong at SS & 2B and solid at 3B, but overall I think we'll be a below average defensive team.

This is a flat out garbage team in the field. The OF is going to be one of the worst in baseball. The IF has a chance to be OK to good. The Catching situation is awful. The starting rotation is awful unless a lot of prayers are answered. The end of the bullpen will be solid, but the middle relief and back? Awful.

Sorry I didn't see a 3/12 game thread from Sunday- I was four rows behind home plate in Glendale for the early game against Texas.

Kopech probably throws as hard as I've ever seen for a starter. We asked a few of the scouts behind us with radar guns and they said he touched 100 multiple times. The Rangers just sat fastball every pitch and hit a few...but were blown away a few times. I think Kopech was up in the zone more than he liked. Kopech's off-speed looked better then expected as he threw them for strikes plenty. However, I'm not sure if Texas swung at any other than Middlebrooks going down swinging on a 3-2. I don't know what it is, but Texas just laid off of off-speed vs Kopech. My guess is he's tipping off-speed. When I watched Lopez on Thursday the Brewers knees would buckle every time Lopez threw off-speed.....Rangers didn't buckle at Kopech's off-speed- just laid off. Regardless...with some polish as Coop said... he's going to be a killer.

Jacob May had a really good game.

Leury Garcia at SS is terrifyingly bad. I love me some Leury but good lord.

It felt like the Rangers ran on Kevan Smith every chance they got and were always safe by a mile.

Burdi threw...and yes scouts with the radars confirmed he also hit 100 with regularity. Puello took him deep for a three run bomb that felt like it was going to hit the Dodgers building.

Rick Hahn and Kenny were both up in the booth...for the entire game.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 03:49 PM)

Melky is passable is LF and replacing Avi in RF with Bourjos or Garcia makes the defense pretty solid in the OF. If Avi is in the OF, yes the defense is poor, if he is the DH the defense is at least good and can be great. Tilson or Bourjos in CF can help make up for the deficiencies that Melky has moving around in the OF. Melky is really a good fielder, has just lost a few steps over the years.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 14, 2017 -> 01:20 PM)
Take a look at who is 4th.

https://twitter.com/darenw/status/841698434637811716

Daren Willman‏Verified account @darenw Comparing the most batted balls 115 MPH+ recorded by @statcast since 2015. Stanton hits the ball pretty hard compared to the field

The hardest hitting ground ball machine in all of baseball. Dude is a legend.

Seriously though. I am surprised Avi is that high on the list. I would not have guessed.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 14, 2017 -> 01:58 PM)
For some reason I thought Asche was out of options. But yeah I think you're right. I think the Tilson injury may help Liriano as well as I think he is borderline, options or not.

He probably is out of options, but he's in camp as a non-roster invitee on a minor league contract, so it doesn't matter. The Sox will be able to send him to the minors if he doesn't break camp with the team, which in turn means they'll have to clear a roster spot on the 40-man if they do want him on the big league club.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 14, 2017 -> 02:03 PM)
He probably is out of options, but he's in camp as a non-roster invitee on a minor league contract, so it doesn't matter. The Sox will be able to send him to the minors if he doesn't break camp with the team, which in turn means they'll have to clear a roster spot on the 40-man if they do want him on the big league club.

Ah yeah that's right. For some reason I kept thinking we claimed him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 14, 2017 -> 02:01 PM)
You almost have to have one of Leury or Sanchez to break camp as the back up middle IF.

Honestly both could. Sanchez back up infielder with leury back up infielder/outfielder. Probably still carry 4th outfielder anyway

Side-note about Norris. Couldn't the Sox put Narvaez in Triple-A to work on his defense and work with the young arms (Giolito, Lopez, Fulmer) that he will potentially be working with around mid/late-season of this upcoming year? Then they can go with Norris and Soto behind the plate. Norris is a decent pitch framer so maybe it would make sense to let him work with the guys at the MLB level to potentially help their trade value?

Edited by soxfan2014