2017 NFL off season thread

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Mar 11, 2017 -> 04:30 PM)
#Bears announce they've signed DB Marcus Cooper to a three-year contract.

It's a fallback signing after Chicago struck out on Stephon Gilmore and A.J. Bouye. Cooper has plus size (6'2/192) for DC Vic Fangio's scheme and had four interceptions as a 13-game starter in Arizona last year, but he got flamed in coverage. Out of 120 qualified cornerbacks at Pro Football Focus, only six had worse pass-coverage grades than Cooper. Ideally, Cooper would be the Bears' No. 4 corner behind Tracy Porter, Prince Amukamara, and Bryce Callahan.

Source: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter

Can you say toast cover skills are awful. I am sure Pace will over pay badly.

Edited by Soxfest

Wright was underused as the Titans' slot receiver last year, but he has the talent to make an impact in Chicago. His signing makes Eddie Royal's $5 million cap hit expendable. Cameron Meredith, Kevin White, and Wright should open 2017 as Chicago's top three wideouts, with Markus Wheaton competing for a roster spot. The 20th overall pick in the 2012 draft, 27-year-old Wright offers vertical ability in the slot. He underachieved in Tennessee due to clashes with several different coaching staffs and hard-luck injuries

Per Rotoworld

Edited by Soxfest

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports Markus Wheaton's contract with the Bears amounts to a one-year deal at $6 million.

The full contract is for two years at $11 million with $5 million guaranteed, and apparently $6 million in year one. It sounds like the second year on Wheaton's deal amounts to a team option. So the Bears gave Wheaton a deal similar to Brandon Marshall's, who landed a two-year, $11 million contract from the Giants with another $1 million available through incentives.

Reports out of Chicago had the team struggling to woo free agents due to organizational instability coming off a 3-13 season. The Bears were forced to severely overpay backup-caliber players Wheaton, CB Marcus Cooper, TE Dion Sims, and QB Mike Glennon.

Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter

Edited by Soxfest

Random thought.

How the hell would an opposing team block a defensive line of Hicks-Goldman-Allen or Thomas? I mean seriously? Especially with the threat of the blitz.

I really wanted Adams or Hooker, but thinking about just how dominant that defensive line could be has changed my tune. Thomas looks to be the more explosive player with the higher ceiling. If you put that man on a line with Hicks and Goldman, who both should probably be double teamed, look out!

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Mar 11, 2017 -> 09:05 PM)
Wright was underused as the Titans' slot receiver last year, but he has the talent to make an impact in Chicago. His signing makes Eddie Royal's $5 million cap hit expendable. Cameron Meredith, Kevin White, and Wright should open 2017 as Chicago's top three wideouts, with Markus Wheaton competing for a roster spot. The 20th overall pick in the 2012 draft, 27-year-old Wright offers vertical ability in the slot. He underachieved in Tennessee due to clashes with several different coaching staffs and hard-luck injuries

Per Rotoworld

Wheaton got $5 million guaranteed. He's on the roster.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 08:19 AM)
Wheaton got $5 million guaranteed. He's on the roster.

That was posted after Wright signed and before Wheaton signed.

Bears did not sign 1 of the top 40 rated free agents, but they sure paid the guys like it.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 01:44 PM)
That was posted after Wright signed and before Wheaton signed.

Bears did not sign 1 of the top 40 rated free agents, but they sure paid the guys like it.

According to the earlier post there's a good reason for it. Everyone ran from the Bears like they are the plague (kind of accurate too)

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 03:10 PM)
According to the earlier post there's a good reason for it. Everyone ran from the Bears like they are the plague (kind of accurate too)

Nothing throwing a bit more money at them wouldn't fix. Their offers for the top guys were lacking so they had to pull a Krause and sign Ron Mercer.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 14, 2017 -> 03:46 PM)
trying to sit back and imagine how bad this offense will be.

I am in no way trying to justify the Bears as putting together a great group for next year but their offense may be okay. ONLY if Loggains truly keeps to the run in an overly stubborn way. They have a decent line and good RB crew so they shouldnt be historically bad as we've seen from them in other years.

But they could try to open it up and run the ball 30% of the time... so yeah that will be some brutal football to watch.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 14, 2017 -> 02:46 PM)
trying to sit back and imagine how bad this offense will be.

Why would it be any worse than the Bears' offense was down the stretch last year? I mean, that wasn't a good offense, but it wasn't historically bad. QB has been upgraded (Glennon over Barkley in this instance). Everything else is the same right (since Alshon was out)?

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Mar 14, 2017 -> 03:57 PM)
Why would it be any worse than the Bears' offense was down the stretch last year? I mean, that wasn't a good offense, but it wasn't historically bad. QB has been upgraded (Glennon over Barkley in this instance). Everything else is the same right (since Alshon was out)?

Except White, Wheaton, and Wright all offer some upside. I don't think it's crazy to think Meredith can continue to improve either. Cam is a guy who was a QB just 2 years ago and just dropped 888 yards last year.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 14, 2017 -> 04:24 PM)
That all assumes that are starters are 100% healthy the whole year.

Yea but last season there was never a 100 percent healthy game. They lost pretty much their entire starting offense halfway through the year

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 14, 2017 -> 04:37 PM)
Yea but last season there was never a 100 percent healthy game. They lost pretty much their entire starting offense halfway through the year

Right, except our current starters look a lot more like our backups last year. And so what does an offense look like with a potential lineup of

Glennon

Langford

Wright

Meredith

Simms

yeesh. Though honestly not that much different than if I put our starters in (Howard withstanding)