2017 NFL off season thread

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 14, 2017 -> 03:25 PM)
Also "not historically bad" is a hilarious defense of the offensive talent.

"Historically bad" was inelegant phrasing on my part. The point is that the Bears offense was ok down the stretch last year with Matt Barkley at QB, Alshon suspended, and Josh Bellamy actively trying to knock down every pass thrown his way. Assuming that Glennon is an upgrade over Barkley, and some combination of White, Wright and Wheaton are an upgrade over Bellamy, the offense could be decidedly mediocre. It's not a ringing endorsement, but it's not terrible.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a pretty good chance it is mediocre/bad, but I don't think it's crazy to think there is at least an outside chance that it is fairly decent(decent being a step above mediocre).

Everything has to go right though.

White has to be the guy we hoped for. Meredith has to build on what he did last year. Wheaton has to be that breakout player everyone thought he was gonna be last year. Wright has to get back to where he was last time he and Dowell Loggains were together. I don't think it's crazy to think 2 of those happen.

It's a boom or bust offense. The optimist in me is gonna wait and see which one happens.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 05:45 AM)
So Lance Briggs apparently is battling CTE.

Which is kind of weird because they can't tell if someone has it have it until they take the brain out and cut it open.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 14, 2017 -> 04:25 PM)
Also "not historically bad" is a hilarious defense of the offensive talent.

After what we seen over the last decade on both sides of the ball if it isnt historically bad then its barely notable. To me anyways.

Bears signed NT John Jenkins, formerly of the Seahawks, to a one-year contract.

Jenkins was expected to meet with the Colts after his visit with the Bears but saw everything he needed to see in Chicago. The 27-year-old fared poorly over 217 snaps for the Seahawks and Saints last season.

Related: Seahawks

Source: Adam Caplan on Twitter

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 27, 2017 -> 12:38 PM)
Raiders officially moving to Las Vegas. But still will play in Oakland in 2017 and 2018. That attendance will be huge. Then they aren't sure where they will play in 2019 yet.

Bears play the Raiders on the road in 2019...

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 27, 2017 -> 04:13 PM)
But the new stadium isn't supposed to be ready until the 2020 season.

I haven't read up on this at all yet today but I had a buddy tell me that they might try and make the UNLV stadium NFL ready and that could be good to go by 2019?

Edited by Rowand44

Here is a thought, just slap me hard in the face once you are done reading, is it possible the Bears could actually trade for Brady with the number 3 and then some? The Pats have always been proactive and it would immediately legitimize the Bears team.

I know, slap me.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 27, 2017 -> 04:27 PM)
Here is a thought, just slap me hard in the face once you are done reading, is it possible the Bears could actually trade for Brady with the number 3 and then some? The Pats have always been proactive and it would immediately legitimize the Bears team.

I know, slap me.

shipps

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 27, 2017 -> 04:23 PM)
I haven't read up on this at all yet today but I had a buddy tell me that they might try and make the UNLV stadium NFL ready and that could be good to go by 2019?

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Mar 27, 2017 -> 04:29 PM)
But they'll likely be playing at UNLV for 2019

Gotcha. I had thought they couldn't play there since they aren't using it the next two years. If it isn't ready in 2019, then the next Bears trip wouldn't be until 2027.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 27, 2017 -> 04:27 PM)

I know, slap me.

Was this before or after Bob Kraft announced that Brady wants to play 6 or 7 more seasons?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 27, 2017 -> 04:13 PM)
But the new stadium isn't supposed to be ready until the 2020 season.

As of now, Bears won't be scheduled to play in Oakland again until the 2027 season. May not have a game in Vegas til then

Edited by Y2JImmy0

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 07:17 AM)
Was this before or after Bob Kraft announced that Brady wants to play 6 or 7 more seasons?

This was after. LOL

Seriously, if the Pats truly believe that Jimmy G is the next big thing and they usually have the balls to make the boldest of moves, trading Brady now might make some sense. But I am sure if they made him available the bidding would become outrageous.

At least I didnt get slapped. Although I dont think its THAT far fetched of an idea as it sounds on first impression.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 09:00 AM)
This was after. LOL

Seriously, if the Pats truly believe that Jimmy G is the next big thing and they usually have the balls to make the boldest of moves, trading Brady now might make some sense. But I am sure if they made him available the bidding would become outrageous.

At least I didnt get slapped. Although I dont think its THAT far fetched of an idea as it sounds on first impression.

If Brady played all 16 games last year he likely wins MVP. He was the super bowl MVP. He's the greatest QB of all time. If the Patriots were to trade him and Garappalo doesn't lead them to multiple super bowls in the short term they would get absolutely killed by the fans and media.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 4, 2017 -> 01:28 PM)
MLB Trade Rumors‏ @mlbtraderumors 4m4 minutes ago #Cowboys QB Tony Romo is retiring from the NFL and taking a job with CBS. For more, follow @pfrumors on Twitter.

Dude went from a Div 1-AA QB to being an undrafted free agent, to being a holder, to being a back up QB, to being a starter for the Dallas Cowboys earning 127 million in contract money (not including endorsements), banging hot blondes all over town, to the #1 broadcast team for CBS.

Not a bad 13-14 year run.