2017 NFL off season thread

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 01:05 PM)
I continue to be amazed how little people care about the Bears this offseason.

This board is a battered bunch. bears, sox and bulls kick us in the nuts every year

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 01:34 PM)
This board is a battered bunch. bears, sox and bulls kick us in the nuts every year

Yeah my nuts are sore for sure.

I am totally interested in all my teams but without a lot of others being interested along with me its just not as fun.

if you aren't a fan of the Cubs, there really isn't a worst time in recent history to be a fan of Chicago sports in general. While the Hawks are on their run, they are a long way behind the Bulls/Bears/Sox in terms of popularity and relevancy. The Bears are the #1 team in Chicago, and are absolutely surrounded with mediocrity right now. They have to be blowing through their season ticket waiting list at a record pace.

They haven't really done anything to make me care about it. I was excited about Mike Glennon for all 2.4 seconds, now it's back to whatever.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 01:47 PM)
if you aren't a fan of the Cubs, there really isn't a worst time in recent history to be a fan of Chicago sports in general. While the Hawks are on their run, they are a long way behind the Bulls/Bears/Sox in terms of popularity and relevancy. The Bears are the #1 team in Chicago, and are absolutely surrounded with mediocrity right now. They have to be blowing through their season ticket waiting list at a record pace.

Not really. The season ticket holders are a pretty dedicated group. The has been a few but not many. We've had the same group around us since the 70's and the Bears have had some really bad runs in that time. I've seen many children grow up coming to game as people around me have seen my son grow up.

This year will be interesting but I bet there won't be a huge turnover.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 02:37 PM)
Not really. The season ticket holders are a pretty dedicated group. The has been a few but not many. We've had the same group around us since the 70's and the Bears have had some really bad runs in that time. I've seen many children grow up coming to game as people around me have seen my son grow up.

This year will be interesting but I bet there won't be a huge turnover.

This seems like its pretty much anecdotal evidence. I am curious as to what the real numbers on season ticket holders dropping out are. I've heard that its been more than ever but no real numbers. Do the Bears make that information public?

This isn't the first year the Bears have been bad though. Draft has always been a pretty big topic here, never seen so few people care especially with a top 3 pick. Not criticizing everyone, just seems like NFL's stranglehold really is weakening.

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 03:01 PM)
This seems like its pretty much anecdotal evidence. I am curious as to what the real numbers on season ticket holders dropping out are. I've heard that its been more than ever but no real numbers. Do the Bears make that information public?

The season ticket waiting list only moves 200-300 every year, maybe that will change. I have read the one thing that has really push the NFL's popularity, fantasty football, is one thing that is starting to really hurt their ticket sales, as more and more people would rather go to a bar and watch several games at once.

Edited by Dick Allen

I'll never ditch my tickets. My dad had them since 1979 and finally handed them down. I don't hate the McCaskeys like most, but I realize they're not the best owners. Regardless even a blind squirrel eventually finds an acorn, and one day, they'll be a powerhouse again. I'd hate to get rid of them in the mean time only for them to be great some day

I will say that last year was the ONLY time when I couldn't sell the last 2 home games even for way under face value. Even in down years, like Favre's last year for Minnesota, we got $160 over face value for each ticket.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 03:15 PM)
This isn't the first year the Bears have been bad though. Draft has always been a pretty big topic here, never seen so few people care especially with a top 3 pick. Not criticizing everyone, just seems like NFL's stranglehold really is weakening.

It isn't the first time, but it is starting to add up to a lot of bad years in a row now. The Cubs winning isn't doing anyone in Chicago any favors with giving fans patience with their organizations either.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 03:53 PM)
It isn't the first time, but it is starting to add up to a lot of bad years in a row now. The Cubs winning isn't doing anyone in Chicago any favors with giving fans patience with their organizations either.

Did you live through the teams in the 70's? This stretch is nothing compared to that. If people didn't give them up then, they probably still won't now.

The patience factor might matter to other teams, but I think the Bears are a little different.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 04:25 PM)
Did you live through the teams in the 70's? This stretch is nothing compared to that. If people didn't give them up then, they probably still won't now.

The patience factor might matter to other teams, but I think the Bears are a little different.

The no-shows in 2016 tell a difference story.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 04:25 PM)

There are also roughly 100,000,000 more things people can do now with their free time vs. watching a s***ty team.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 04:29 PM)
The no-shows in 2016 tell a difference story.

Yes, but they still bought the season tickets and there was little turnover. People may not go to all but they won't give up the season tickets.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 05:31 PM)
There are also roughly 100,000,000 more things people can do now with their free time vs. watching a s***ty team.

This is true for the casual fan but not for the season ticket holders. I would guess there will be a few more available but not a substantial amount.

Of course, it could be just my section of season ticket holders.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 08:34 PM)
This is true for the casual fan but not for the season ticket holders. I would guess there will be a few more available but not a substantial amount.

Of course, it could be just my section of season ticket holders.

Aren't 60% or more of the season tickets PSLs? I assume that makes a lot more difficult to just give up your season tickets. You would want to sell the PSL for a good price, not just get up and walk away.

Mine aren't PSL, but it would still take a lot more for me to give them up. I still find it entertaining and like the earlier poster said, you didn't want to miss out when they suddenly turn it around and have to go back on the waiting list.