Updated teams interested in Q

harfman77

https://nypost.com/2017/03/25/yankees-futur...a-new-rotation/

You know what would help with that, yanks?

In my mind I keep circling back to the Yankees as the most logical suitors for Q. They're not rebuilding (Braves), they don't have to horde prospects to keep payroll low (Pirates) and they don't have a strong rotation locked up long term (Astros, Dodgers).

So now it's just a matter of waiting for them to hit the right point in the "win curve" where a Q acquisition is necessary and not just totally logical.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From that article:

"The White Sox also have other pieces that would pique interest. One is closer David Robertson. Most baseball folks thought he’d be with the Nationals by now, but Washington president of baseball operations Mike Rizzo has resisted giving up touted catching prospect Pedro Severino. Without Severino, the White Sox likely wouldn’t be interested. The Nationals are leaning toward offering a combination of Shawn Kelley, Koda Glover, and Blake Treinen."

QUOTE (daggins @ Mar 26, 2017 -> 08:19 AM)
https://nypost.com/2017/03/25/yankees-futur...a-new-rotation/

You know what would help with that, yanks?

In my mind I keep circling back to the Yankees as the most logical suitors for Q. They're not rebuilding (Braves), they don't have to horde prospects to keep payroll low (Pirates) and they don't have a strong rotation locked up long term (Astros, Dodgers).

So now it's just a matter of waiting for them to hit the right point in the "win curve" where a Q acquisition is necessary and not just totally logical.

The Yankees and Dodgers make the most sense to me as well. The Yankees have the most position player depth. Their plan is to essentially go for it all in 2018. Since Q is signed through 2020 it makes a lot of sense. I personally think the Yankees are good enough to be in that AL wildcard chase this year. And if that is indeed the case- i can most definitely see Cashman call Hahn to work out a Q deal this June or July. Unfortunately, I just cannot see Cashman trading Gleybor Torres. Unless its for Q straight up?? Hmmm...

The Dodgers can definitley benefit from inserting Q into their rotation. Would a Bellinger and Urias deal be asking for too much?

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/yankees...al-notes-032717

It makes little sense for any team to offer the White Sox more for left-hander Jose Quintana than it did a month ago, and even less sense for the Sox to lower their price when the desperation of clubs only will increase at the non-waiver deadline.

That said, the Astros remain in excellent position to eventually land Quintana or another starting pitcher — Baseball America ranked their farm system third behind the Braves and Yankees, and that system will remain strong even if the ‘Stros part with major prospects.

Perhaps the bigger question is whether the Astros will need one or two starters, given the uncertainty in their rotation.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Mar 27, 2017 -> 11:38 AM)
http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/yankees...al-notes-032717

It makes little sense for any team to offer the White Sox more for left-hander Jose Quintana than it did a month ago, and even less sense for the Sox to lower their price when the desperation of clubs only will increase at the non-waiver deadline.

That said, the Astros remain in excellent position to eventually land Quintana or another starting pitcher — Baseball America ranked their farm system third behind the Braves and Yankees, and that system will remain strong even if the ‘Stros part with major prospects.

Perhaps the bigger question is whether the Astros will need one or two starters, given the uncertainty in their rotation.

Even when providing a link, please make sure to point out that this is quoted text as opposed to original text, whether using quotation marks or the quote box.

QUOTE (Superstar Lamar @ Mar 27, 2017 -> 01:14 PM)
while the bats were in their pre arbitration years and out of necessity

Necessity? You just said they should trade for Q, which is exactly what they could have done before instead of trading their talent for a pitcher.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 27, 2017 -> 03:15 PM)
The recent article speculated that he wouldn't be dealt until the summer at the soonest. Not enough bidding interest at this time.

No team feels the urgency to meet the Sox asking price right now

As soon as a starter goes down, or a team finds itself very much in contention, pressure will increase to trade for Quintana

He will be moved by the deadline

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 27, 2017 -> 04:45 PM)
Funny thing is if WBC version of Q is here from the get go, he'd command an equal or more Sale package at the deadline if a starter goes down.

Yep, it's a gamble, but one worth taking. All the Sox need is for Q to be Q and the return will be bountiful enough but if he can get off to a career year kind of start, whoaaa mama! If that happens, look out for the arm-chair GM's that will say the Sox traded Sale too soon. ;)

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Mar 27, 2017 -> 05:02 PM)
Yep, it's a gamble, but one worth taking. All the Sox need is for Q to be Q and the return will be bountiful enough but if he can get off to a career year kind of start, whoaaa mama! If that happens, look out for the arm-chair GM's that will say the Sox traded Sale too soon. ;)

It's possible for him to get a Sale return. But that would require a)no regression and b)limited supply of pitchers in July.

I think those factors are far more likely to go against the Sox than move in the Sox favor.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 27, 2017 -> 10:29 PM)
It's possible for him to get a Sale return. But that would require a)no regression and b)limited supply of pitchers in July.

I think those factors are far more likely to go against the Sox than move in the Sox favor.

"If they're going to include both Martes and Tucker, there needs to be something else coming back in addition to Quintana (a ptbnl rookie league prospect, Robertson with salary relief, Jennings, or Jones). Otherwise, I think Chicago will have a hard time beating a package that includes 1 of Martes/Tucker plus 3 fringe top 100 types (Fisher, Perez, Whitley, Paulino, Cameron, Moran, Reed, etc.)."

From an Astros fan^^^

I think this is somewhat indicative for the gap the exists between the Sox asking price and what is being offered. Quintana is not being traded for Martes or Tucker plus some second tier prospects. Martes AND Tucker would be a minimum starting point to headline a package, plus substantially more would have to be included.

Sox would likely accept a Martes + Tucker + Musgrove/Reed package

Anything less, why bother from the Sox point of view?

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 11:02 AM)
"If they're going to include both Martes and Tucker, there needs to be something else coming back in addition to Quintana (a ptbnl rookie league prospect, Robertson with salary relief, Jennings, or Jones). Otherwise, I think Chicago will have a hard time beating a package that includes 1 of Martes/Tucker plus 3 fringe top 100 types (Fisher, Perez, Whitley, Paulino, Cameron, Moran, Reed, etc.)."

From an Astros fan^^^

I think this is somewhat indicative for the gap the exists between the Sox asking price and what is being offered. Quintana is not being traded for Martes or Tucker plus some second tier prospects. Martes AND Tucker would be a minimum starting point to headline a package, plus substantially more would have to be included.

Sox would likely accept a Martes + Tucker + Musgrove/Reed package

Anything less, why bother from the Sox point of view?

Martes/Tucker/Reed/Fisher/Perez is what that dude seems to be proposing and I'd take that in a heartbeat.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 11:13 AM)
Martes/Tucker/Reed/Fisher/Perez is what that dude seems to be proposing and I'd take that in a heartbeat.

He says 1 of Martes or Tucker, asumming nothing coming back from Sox besides Q.

So Martes or Tucker +3 of Fischer, Perez, Reed, Paulino, Whitley and Cameron.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 27, 2017 -> 10:29 PM)

What indications are there that point towards a regression from Q? His track record is solid and shows no signs of regressing so there's no reason for me to think he will. In fact, Q looks better than ever.

As for pitching. How many pitchers of Q's caliper and team friendly contract are out there? Maybe Archer but he needs to show he can rebound from last year before he can be considered in the same class as Q.

I still believe that waiting is the right call and that somebody will blink but if for some reason teams won't meet the asking price for Q, then I have no problem watching him pitch for the Sox over the next four years.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 11:54 AM)
What indications are there that point towards a regression from Q? His track record is solid and shows no signs of regressing so there's no reason for me to think he will. In fact, Q looks better than ever.

As for pitching. How many pitchers of Q's caliper and team friendly contract are out there? Maybe Archer but he needs to show he can rebound from last year before he can be considered in the same class as Q.

I still believe that waiting is the right call and that somebody will blink but if for some reason teams won't meet the asking price for Q, then I have no problem watching him pitch for the Sox over the next four years.

He's am aging veteran