Updated teams interested in Q

harfman77

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 11:28 AM)
He says 1 of Martes or Tucker, asumming nothing coming back from Sox besides Q.

So Martes or Tucker +3 of Fischer, Perez, Reed, Paulino, Whitley and Cameron.

Neither Martes or Tucker is a good enough prospect on their own to headline a Quintana deal

Fisher/Reed/Perez/Paulino/Whitley and Cameron are all either one or two tiers below Martes and Tucker as well

I would not be motivated to move Quintana to the Astros for less than Martes + Tucker + Reed or Musgrove

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 12:01 PM)
Neither Martes or Tucker is a good enough prospect on their own to headline a Quintana deal

Fisher/Reed/Perez/Paulino/Whitley and Cameron are all either one or two tiers below Martes and Tucker as well

I would not be motivated to move Quintana to the Astros for less than Martes + Tucker + Reed or Musgrove

I think we all agree man.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 02:59 PM)
I'm kind of tired of the attitude from Astros fans and their GM. I'm not budging one iota if I'm Hahn.

Every team that has been rumored to Q have that same attitude. Each fanbase value all their A list guys as cant miss and untradeable while they want to offer 1-2 B level prospects. Even then they think they might be giving up too much.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 03:05 PM)
Every team that has been rumored to Q have that same attitude. Each fanbase value all their A list guys as cant miss and untradeable while they want to offer 1-2 B level prospects. Even then they think they might be giving up too much.

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2017/0...ade_for_jo.html

Check out this article from today

The author is suggest a Yankees package of: Frazier + Adams + Fowler + Wade for Quintana...all other significant prospects should not be on the table

Zero chance Quintana gets moved for such a weak package

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 03:05 PM)

It's funny because if it were Bumgarner, Lester or Archer everyone would deem the value fair

QUOTE (Tony @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 03:50 PM)
Barring a sudden injury or drastic new trade proposal, the #WhiteSox now poised to open season with ace Jose Quintana; #Astros not budging.

via @BNightengale (or the White Sox Front Office) :)

The Astros' bizarre lowballing doesn't make sense on a lot of levels. Teams have been especially reluctant to trade top position player prospects (Swanson, Turner, Torres, Meadows), so, although I disagree philosophically, I get why they wouldn't trade Bregman. But why are they unwilling to trade Martes? Outside of Urias and Reyes, I don't think there is any pitching prospect anywhere else that would have been off limits for a TOR starter like Quintana. If the Astros suddenly cave great, but I hope a different team emerges with a better package and the Astros are left with regret.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 04:02 PM)
The Astros' bizarre lowballing doesn't make sense on a lot of levels. Teams have been especially reluctant to trade top position player prospects (Swanson, Turner, Torres, Meadows), so, although I disagree philosophically, I get why they wouldn't trade Bregman. But why are they unwilling to trade Martes? Outside of Urias and Reyes, I don't think there is any pitching prospect anywhere else that would have been off limits for a TOR starter like Quintana. If the Astros suddenly cave great, but I hope a different team emerges with a better package and the Astros are left with regret.

The Astros will really regret if a true baller like LAD or NYY decides they want him.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 04:05 PM)
Even if you get BOTH Martes and Tucker, you can argue both are less valuable than Moncada and Kopech. So it seems like both should be the floor IMO.

Could argue? That is a clear step down from Moncada and Kopech. Kopech is better than either of Martes or Tucker. Moncada is on another level.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 04:08 PM)
Could argue? That is a clear step down from Moncada and Kopech. Kopech is better than either of Martes or Tucker. Moncada is on another level.

Kopech > Martes

Moncada >> Tucker

If I am Houston I would be all over Quintana as a major piece that could help the team reach the next level

I do not consider Martes or Tucker to be untouchable prospect by any means. Both could be replaced over the next 4 seasons that Quintana is under contract, and neither player is likely to become more valuable than Quintana is

I'm totally fine holding onto Q until the deadline and then getting a contender bidding war going

It's a risk for both sides. Astros trying to stick to their plan and get throught he season with that rotation. White Sox trying to keep his value where it's at. It'll probably be incredibly tough to trade him next offseason.

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (Baron @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 04:20 PM)
It's a risk for both sides. Astros trying to stick to their plan and get throught he season with that rotation. White Sox trying to keep his value where it's at. It'll probably be incredibly tough to trade him next offseason.

The odds of Tucker/Martes and company flopping are much higher than the odds of Q regressing.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 04:22 PM)
The odds of Tucker/Martes and company flopping are much higher than the odds of Q regressing.

That's not what I'm referring to. I think I've made this clear for months it's about the market at some point. The market is going to screw his value.

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (Baron @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 04:20 PM)

Its hard for me to imagine a time when it would be incredibly tough to trade a pitcher of Q's quality and his contract. Even if there are others available, hard to beat the contract with his kind of production.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 04:23 PM)
Its hard for me to imagine a time when it would be incredibly tough to trade a pitcher of Q's quality and his contract. Even if there are others available, hard to beat the contract with his kind of production.

If you look at what a guy like Chapman got for months of production, I am not too worried about the Q returns for a while.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 04:23 PM)

Money is money. Prospects are gold to some of these teams. Houston can spend money which it's obviously that they'd rather do.

QUOTE (Baron @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 04:25 PM)
Money is money. Prospects are gold to some of these teams. Houston can spend money which it's obviously that they'd rather do.

Except money can't buy them a pitcher until next off-season, and didn't buy them a good one this off season.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 03:29 PM)
Except money can't buy them a pitcher until next off-season, and didn't buy them a good one this off season.

This. Assuming Q is Q this year, the Sox should get a haul back at or before the deadline. I'll start worrying about the Sox asking price if he hasn't been moved by next offseason.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 04:29 PM)

What are you not getting? I understand that. I'm simply saying the clock at whatever value the Sox have is ticking. They cant play hard to get for the duration of his contract if they are indeed trying to trade him. Houston is obviously taking a risk with that horrid rotation. Look who the GM is though. It's obvious what he prefers to spend/trade and it's been that way for years.

QUOTE (Baron @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 04:32 PM)
What are you not getting? I understand that. I'm simply saying the clock at whatever value the Sox have is ticking. They cant play hard to get for the duration of his contract if they are indeed trying to trade him. Houston is obviously taking a risk with that horrid rotation. Look who the GM is though. It's obvious what he prefers to spend/trade and it's been that way for years.

They have plenty of time. The Sox should take no less than what the got for Sale. Sale had 1 less year of control, and some character issues. Plus I think most everyone here thought the Sale trade was 1 good prospect light.