Updated teams interested in Q

harfman77

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I can honestly say that I have way more of a connection with Q than I ever did with Sale. In this past month I have definitely had moments of seriously wanting to not trade Q at all and figure out this rebuild with Q as the centerpiece of the future. Today is one of them days that I am totally down with that.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 31, 2017 -> 10:22 AM)
I think I can honestly say that I have way more of a connection with Q than I ever did with Sale. In this past month I have definitely had moments of seriously wanting to not trade Q at all and figure out this rebuild with Q as the centerpiece of the future. Today is one of them days that I am totally down with that.

So we only keep him for 1, maybe 2 years of being good? Pass. Give me a haul sometime in the next 4 months.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 31, 2017 -> 10:24 AM)
So we only keep him for 1, maybe 2 years of being good? Pass. Give me a haul sometime in the next 4 months.

Counter point: The youngsters start coming up and the huge FA class hits. Quintana leads your staff of Q, Rodon and any three of Giolito/Lopez/Fulmer and possibly even Kopech or Hansen. Suddenly you might even be able to flip some of the young pitching.

Q is definitely a leader in the clubhouse and could easily fill this team's Lester role. I think the upcoming draft, Robert and returns for Frazier/Nelly/Robertson will ultimately decide Q's fate if no team blows them away.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 31, 2017 -> 10:29 AM)
Counter point: The youngsters start coming up and the huge FA class hits. Quintana leads your staff of Q, Rodon and any three of Giolito/Lopez/Fulmer and possibly even Kopech or Hansen. Suddenly you might even be able to flip some of the young pitching.

Q is definitely a leader in the clubhouse and could easily fill this team's Lester role. I think the upcoming draft, Robert and returns for Frazier/Nelly/Robertson will ultimately decide Q's fate if no team blows them away.

I think our best trade chip other than Q is Jones. He could get us a nice package this summer.

With Q i kinda feel like a small town fan that wants him to leave to achieve greater stardom. I know how great he is and it really bugs me how he is covered. So long as its to a playoff team, I want him gone so he can get the coverage he deserve.s

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 31, 2017 -> 10:29 AM)

Your strategy is to hold onto Q for 4 years and bank on guys in the upcoming draft and Robert to be immediate impact players in that time?

Edited by soxfan2014

I am not advocating that keeping Q is the best route. I have just come to the realization that I am more attached to Q and I am way more willing to accept him being a part of this teams future than I was with Sale. I selfishly want to keep him right now because I respect the hell out of his game and his professionalism. He is coming into his prime and is getting better...he loves being here....all his teammates and coaches respect the hell out of him...young pitchers can learn a lot from him...he is a horse...and he comes cheap.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 31, 2017 -> 10:34 AM)
With Q i kinda feel like a small town fan that wants him to leave to achieve greater stardom. I know how great he is and it really bugs me how he is covered. So long as its to a playoff team, I want him gone so he can get the coverage he deserve.s

Unless he goes to another black hole like Houston or Pittsburgh.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 31, 2017 -> 10:38 AM)
Frazier and I assume he meant Melky aren't going to bring back big returns. Robertson has a chance to bring something useful back.

Melky, completely agree. Frazier, if he has a good first half, will definitely be able to get something useful.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 31, 2017 -> 11:01 AM)
They need the prospect haul that Q will bring back to maximize the rebuild. he'll be in his early 30's by the time they are good again and will need to be paid also. Keeping Q doesn't make much sense.

100% agree. We can't pass on quality offers for a guy like Q this early in the rebuild process. The opportunity cost of keeping him through two or three lost seasons is simply too high.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 31, 2017 -> 10:39 AM)
Your strategy is to hold onto Q for 4 years and bank on guys in the upcoming draft and Robert to be immediate impact players in that time?

Nah, still best to trade him. But providing the argument otherwise for the hell of it.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Mar 30, 2017 -> 10:25 AM)
Meh

I'm not thrilled with what the Cardinals farm system could offer

I am a big fan of what the Cards have. They are probably my number two target behind the Braves if Torres, Bellinger, Meadows, and Marte are off the table. I think the Astros and Yankees systems are very overrated because of what they have at the top. I think the Braves and Cards can provide much more quality of quantity than any other teams discussed, the Pirates are probably a peg behind. The Cubs could be a great match with Happ, Candeleiro, and Jiminez, especially once Brett Anderson inevitably hits the DL, but odds are thats never going to happen.

Start of with Kelly, the #1 C prospect in baseball and as close to ML ready as they come, so with a lower chance of failure. Wacha can be a buy low candidate that the Sox can work on correcting and turn for more prospects in the next 18 months. I love Sierra as a piece and think he can be spark plug at the top of the lineup with good OBP, gap power, and elite CF defense. Delvin Perez was a lock as a top 10 pick last season before a pre-draft drug test failure caused his stock to fall, but there were rumors that the Sox loved him before that. A guy that again has a chance to be a high level defensive player at a premium position and has an offensive ceiling of an AllStar level player.

If you could get them to include either Junior Fernandez or Marco Gonzales, both big time talents with a ton of risk, that would be the sweetener to me that would get a deal done.

Trade deadline tracker:

Likely pitchers available -

Jose Quintana - 2/$15.85M - 2/$22 team options

Chris Archer - 3/$19M - 2/$20 team options

Jake Odorizzi - Pre-Arb (eligible 18)

Junior Guerra - Pre-arb - Currently Injured

Zach Greinke - 5/$172.5M

Clay Buchholz - 1/$13.5M

Ervin Santana - 2/$27M - 1/$14M team option (vesting)

Sonny Gray - Pre-Arb (eligible 18) - Currently Injured

Derek Holland - 1/$6M

Justin Verlander - 3/$84M - 1/$22M vesting option

Likely teams looking for pitching:

Rangers

Yankees

Mariners

Astros

Orioles

Cardinals

Pirates

Giants

Dodgers

Cubs

Others that may be in the market:

Braves

Blue Jays

I thought it would be nice to keep a running tab on this until the deadline as the injuries and pennant races take shape. It would nice for the Sox if the Rays stayed in contention so that their two pitchers stayed off the market. Archer is the only one close to Q on the level of contract value and is probably worth a bit more due to his extra year of control at a submarket rate.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Apr 4, 2017 -> 01:14 PM)
Trade deadline tracker:

Likely pitchers available -

Jose Quintana - 2/$15.85M - 2/$22 team options

Chris Archer - 3/$19M - 2/$20 team options

Jake Odorizzi - Pre-Arb (eligible 18)

Junior Guerra - Pre-arb - Currently Injured

Zach Greinke - 5/$172.5M

Clay Buchholz - 1/$13.5M

Ervin Santana - 2/$27M - 1/$14M team option (vesting)

Sonny Gray - Pre-Arb (eligible 18) - Currently Injured

Derek Holland - 1/$6M

Justin Verlander - 3/$84M - 1/$22M vesting option

Likely teams looking for pitching:

Rangers

Yankees

Mariners

Astros

Orioles

Cardinals

Pirates

Giants

Dodgers

Cubs

Others that may be in the market:

Braves

Blue Jays

I thought it would be nice to keep a running tab on this until the deadline as the injuries and pennant races take shape. It would nice for the Sox if the Rays stayed in contention so that their two pitchers stayed off the market. Archer is the only one close to Q on the level of contract value and is probably worth a bit more due to his extra year of control at a submarket rate.

Archer is not likely to be traded unless for a massive haul. Tampa would have to enter full rebuild in order for that to happen and I just don't see it right now.

Grienke/Verlander are owed a ton of money, making it tough(er) to get a deal done without the seller eating a huge chunk of the contract

Quintana is a very attractive piece because the contract is reasonable, and he's in his prime

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Apr 4, 2017 -> 02:49 PM)
Archer is not likely to be traded unless for a massive haul. Tampa would have to enter full rebuild in order for that to happen and I just don't see it right now.

Grienke/Verlander are owed a ton of money, making it tough(er) to get a deal done without the seller eating a huge chunk of the contract

Quintana is a very attractive piece because the contract is reasonable, and he's in his prime

I don't know, maybe I see it differently but do agree Q is a very attractive piece. If Archer rebounds and the Rays struggle, I think Archer goes on the market and gives buyers a very good alternative to Q. The Sox need the Rays to compete so they keep their pitchers off the trade market.

As for Verlander, similar to Archer and Rays, the Sox need Detroit to compete to keep Verlander off the market. Verlander's age and contract make him less valuable but if Detroit includes money in a Verlander trade, he becomes rather attractive. Verlander won't cost the prospects that Q and Archer would which combined with Detroit eating money makes Verlander a good alternative. An alternative that I think Cashman and the Yanks would like.

I agree ya on Grienke, that dude is going nowhere.

There's been lots of talk of Clint Frazier in this thread (and in general).

There were some reports that he asked the Yankees to unretire Mantle's 7 for him. Cashman said it wasn't true to be fair. But this is another mini-controversy that seems to follow him.

QUOTE (Nokona @ Apr 5, 2017 -> 06:03 PM)

There were some reports that he asked the Yankees to unretire Mantle's 7 for him. Cashman said it wasn't true to be fair. But this is another mini-controversy that seems to follow him.

Bwhahahahahahahhahahhahhahhha

Hah

Hhasaa

Ha

Haha

Ha

QUOTE (Nokona @ Apr 5, 2017 -> 08:03 PM)

The version that I heard is that he asked for #7 ignorant of who it belonged to and that it was retired.