Updated teams interested in Q

harfman77

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jun 6, 2017 -> 07:21 AM)
I'm not writing Quintana off after a very bad 2 months, but he needs an equally strong 2 months to re-emerge as the top pitcher on the market come July else there's no sense in moving him until he has rebounded.

Question on Rodon for the larger group. If he comes back to pitch this season (and he is on track too by all reports) and show his top of the rotation type stuff consistently, do the White Sox trade him in the off-season? He's a Boras agent and the clock is ticking. If the White Sox are good in 2-3 years from now, isn't he a free agent after another year or two beyond that? Does it make sense to keep a guy around who has little chance on being here beyond his rookie/arbitration years?

I would definitely listen on Rodon. Trade him for the right offer. He might only be here for 1 or 2 years of the Sox being good and that's if everything goes right.

Edited by soxfan2014

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jun 6, 2017 -> 07:21 AM)
I'm not writing Quintana off after a very bad 2 months, but he needs an equally strong 2 months to re-emerge as the top pitcher on the market come July else there's no sense in moving him until he has rebounded.

Question on Rodon for the larger group. If he comes back to pitch this season (and he is on track too by all reports) and show his top of the rotation type stuff consistently, do the White Sox trade him in the off-season? He's a Boras agent and the clock is ticking. If the White Sox are good in 2-3 years from now, isn't he a free agent after another year or two beyond that? Does it make sense to keep a guy around who has little chance on being here beyond his rookie/arbitration years?

I think you have to be open to trading him if he won't consider an extension, but you need to wait until he establishes himself as a legit TOR starter and one capable of being that over the course of the full season. We still have control over him for another four seasons, so there's absolutely no reason to rush into trading him. His value can still expotentially improve with one dominant season.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 6, 2017 -> 07:54 AM)
I think you have to be open to trading him if he won't consider an extension, but you need to wait until he establishes himself as a legit TOR starter and one capable of being that over the course of the full season. We still have control over him for another four seasons, so there's absolutely no reason to rush into trading him. His value can still expotentially improve with one dominant season.

Rodon still has plenty of control left, and it's far too early to think about trading him. He needs to prove that he is healthy and get back to pitching this season to have much trade value.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 6, 2017 -> 07:54 AM)

If you get an offer for a #1 or 2 starter for Rodon, you move him. If not, you move forward with him.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 6, 2017 -> 10:14 AM)
Yup, totally agree. Just unlikely to get that offer until he demonstrates that type of ability over a full season.

The odds today are near zero of that happening. He has to come back and pitch near his potential for that to even have a chance.

With his agent it is almost 100% guaranteed that he'll be hitting the open market and asking for a lot...probably much more than the Sox are going to be willing to pay (unless by that time they are under new ownership.)

Taking all that into account you move him if there is a very good offer on the table.

The issue is that I don't think Rodon has ever been healthy and contributed for a full season in his short career. That certainly could limit trade opportunities...at least getting something making a deal worthwhile in my opinion.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jun 6, 2017 -> 11:45 AM)
With his agent it is almost 100% guaranteed that he'll be hitting the open market and asking for a lot...probably much more than the Sox are going to be willing to pay (unless by that time they are under new ownership.)

Taking all that into account you move him if there is a very good offer on the table.

The issue is that I don't think Rodon has ever been healthy and contributed for a full season in his short career. That certainly could limit trade opportunities...at least getting something making a deal worthwhile in my opinion.

Yeah, you probably have to wait until at least 2018/2019 off-season to even consider it.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jun 6, 2017 -> 11:45 AM)

As of right now Rodon has not earned any sort of big payday though. He has a long ways to go in order to establish himself as a true #2 or #1 starter in the mlb.

He's under team control for awhile, I wouldn't really worry about his contract status and/or trading him

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 6, 2017 -> 11:10 AM)
If you get an offer for a #1 or 2 starter for Rodon, you move him. If not, you move forward with him.

Why would anyone offer this for Rodon? Even at his absolute best Rodon could never be more than a #1 starter, no one can.

You don't give up this guy, high 90s fastball and a Steve Carlton-esque slider. If he could stay healthy, put it together he can be a huge part of the rebuild in Chicago longer term.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 9, 2017 -> 09:27 AM)
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/c...ries/102635742/

Carlos Correa comes out and says that the Astros need another #1 #2 top of the rotation type pitcher to make a deep run.

Quintana for Tucker ++

Just not gonna get top dollar for Q right now. Maybe if he rights the ship the next 6 weeks, you move him right before the deadline, otherwise it is best to wait this thing out.

QUOTE (reiks12 @ Jun 9, 2017 -> 09:54 AM)
Astros fanbase would crucify him if he gave up anything for Q right now.

Quintana's FIP of 4.10 is really not that bad. That shows he has been pretty unlucky this season and his numbers should improve.

3 1/2 seasons of a quality left handed starter should not come cheap. The Astros are very much a contender right now, and for the next few seasons. Tucker, Martes and Musgrove might be too much for them to stomach, but a deal could still be built around their prospects.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 9, 2017 -> 10:14 AM)
Quintana's FIP of 4.10 is really not that bad. That shows he has been pretty unlucky this season and his numbers should improve.

3 1/2 seasons of a quality left handed starter should not come cheap. The Astros are very much a contender right now, and for the next few seasons. Tucker, Martes and Musgrove might be too much for them to stomach, but a deal could still be built around their prospects.

That deal just isn't a great fit for us. I'd prefer Tucker, Fischer (who has been absolutely raking in AAA), Reed and Perez.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 9, 2017 -> 10:24 AM)
The other issue is there is little pressure on the Astros to make a deal on June 9th.

They have all the time in the world at this point to explore the marketplace.

Exactly. I don't think anyone in Houston anticipated their record to be this good at this point, but they were absolutely justified in not breaking the bank for anybody this offseason. Quintana is still a fit both in Houston and probably New York, plus a few other destinations as well.

If he continues to pitch better, there will be suitors for him.

I don't see the Astros being a factor for Quintana at all. I do see the Yankees continuing to make more and more sense. With how competitive they've been, plus how unreliable Tanaka's been, plus their plethora of OFs — Judge has cemented his role enough to make Frazier, Rutherford and Fowler available — they match up well with the Sox.

Unfortunately the Rockies could not be a partner, their rookies are tearing it up. I was hoping we would have pulled the trigger in the offseason with them and landed Jeff Hoffman and another stud but I guess the Rocks knew what they had. I saw Hoffman in college many times and he would have been the #1 pick if he didnt need tommy john during his senior year. Right now he is 4-0 with some of the best stuff I have seen from a young pitcher. He has the highest spin rate on his curve in the majors. During the game the announcers said that he had not let up a hit off his curve or slider all year. That is 27 innings. He has some ridiculous stuff.

The Rockies are loaded with pitchers right now so maybe someone like a Riley Pint could be had.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jun 9, 2017 -> 03:56 PM)
I don't see the Astros being a factor for Quintana at all. I do see the Yankees continuing to make more and more sense. With how competitive they've been, plus how unreliable Tanaka's been, plus their plethora of OFs — Judge has cemented his role enough to make Frazier, Rutherford and Fowler available — they match up well with the Sox.

I see the same. Severino threw ~150 innings last year of live ball. Pineda is sort of normalizing, but also isn't normalizing - his HR/FB is at a career high, but his BABIP is low, and his xFIP is lining up with this ERA, but for so many other reasons. Jordan Montgomery has been great, and I think will continue to the be the #2 to Severino moving forward, but he also only threw ~150 innings of live ball. Tanaka has been s***, but Sabathia has been just fine as the #4 (guessing he's actually like 3 in the technical rotation chart, but he's now #4 but should be #5), and would be the #3 in most rotations across the league. He's a free agent after this year, and if you think they are going to resign him for anything more than a year, you're crazy. If you don't think a team that's close (say, maybe the Brewers??) wouldn't offer him a 2/$30 deal to be a #3 starter for that team next year, you'd also be crazy. They have room in that rotation to run some sort of hybrid 6-man rotation where guys take days off and start on other days and Quintana, a steady, strong #2, takes the ball every 5th day. The Yankees are an ideal candidate, because he replaces Sabathia moving forward.

People think Cashman is looking for Cole. I think the Astros are looking at Cole. They need a guy like that, because they may be able to re-sign him too. The Yankees feel a bit more cost-conscious at this point. Trade for Gerritt Cole for oodles of prospects, or trade a very similar package for 3.5 years of Jose Quintana? It's an easy answer.

Best comparison I ever heard for Quintana was Jon Lester. Lester went 4.1, 5.3, and 4.8 WAR per year his first 3 seasons. He then went 2.5 and 2.7. Since, he's gone 3.5, 5.6, 5.0, and 4.3 for full seasons. Quintana went 3.5, 5.1, 4.8, and 4.8. There are some stats out of whack here, and I want to investigate them further at a future time, but has enough really changed to think that Quintana is a different pitcher?

QUOTE (ecupittfan @ Jun 10, 2017 -> 10:53 PM)
Unfortunately the Rockies could not be a partner, their rookies are tearing it up. I was hoping we would have pulled the trigger in the offseason with them and landed Jeff Hoffman and another stud but I guess the Rocks knew what they had. I saw Hoffman in college many times and he would have been the #1 pick if he didnt need tommy john during his senior year. Right now he is 4-0 with some of the best stuff I have seen from a young pitcher. He has the highest spin rate on his curve in the majors. During the game the announcers said that he had not let up a hit off his curve or slider all year. That is 27 innings. He has some ridiculous stuff.

The Rockies are loaded with pitchers right now so maybe someone like a Riley Pint could be had.

I tell my Rockies bud every day how much I love Hoffman. And then Hoffman goes out, pitches a gem, and he says, "Blake, that's Hoffman, buddy."

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 9, 2017 -> 09:14 AM)

Teams will definitely go by fip and not era but a 4 fip is also not TOR pitching. He should get better than that and I do think they should get at least two top100 prospects and more for him but I could understand why teams would prefer a guy who does it with strikeouts and not with soft contact and Homer prevention.

I see the Sox getting a top20 guy as the headliner but maybe not a top5 guy like moncada.

QUOTE (GermanSock @ Jun 11, 2017 -> 11:55 AM)
Teams will definitely go by fip and not era but a 4 fip is also not TOR pitching. He should get better than that and I do think they should get at least two top100 prospects and more for him but I could understand why teams would prefer a guy who does it with strikeouts and not with soft contact and Homer prevention.

I see the Sox getting a top20 guy as the headliner but maybe not a top5 guy like moncada.

Quintana is ranked 20th & 25th in K/9 & K % respectively amongst qualified starters. While not elite per se, he is literally right up there with some of the most dominant pitchers in baseball. And yes, I'm aware that this is not the norm for Quintana and he'd typically fall within the top 45 or so. Regardless, if he could somehow maintain his K rate while getting closer to his normal BB & HR rates, the FIP would be ridiculous and I don't think there'd be much for GMs/scouts to question about him and a truly elite prospect might be attainable. Unfortunately, that's an unrealistic expectation and I think a top 20 type headliner is about right assuming his overall numbers regress to his career norms.

Edited by Chicago White Sox