Updated teams interested in Q

harfman77

I dont think you can say they are now shy to trade because they have had one trade that looks iffy. You can argue that they won tjat trade seeing how Tulo is now and what the Rockies have replaced him with.

I just dont think the Rockies think Q would do well at that altitude. That may be true

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (reiks12 @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 12:27 PM)
I dont think you can say they are now shy to trade because they have had one trade that looks iffy. You can argue that they won tjat trade seeing how Tulo is now and what the Rockies have replaced him with.

I just dont think the Rockies think Q would do well at that altitude. That may be true

And Tulo is injury-prone getting paid a lot as well.

QUOTE (Soha @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 10:08 AM)
My thinking is, Houston has had 5001 opportunities to trade for Q and wouldn't budge. I just don't see it happening with them. My guess is it happens to a team that hasn't been one of the more rumored teams for Quintana. Teams like the Nats, Dodgers, Red Sox (gasp!) or Cubs maybe. It will depend on how the playoff scenarios develop and who's starting pitching has injuries/underperformers, etc.

I think they wouldn't budge because they didn't feel that Quintana was a big enough of an upgrade to do so, given their initial situation. A rotation featuring Keuchel, McCullers, McHugh, Morton, and Musgrove is talented enough that, if everything goes even according to plan, they'd be sitting OK, and there is potential that rotation could be very good. However, injuries can and do strike, as do struggles. McHugh is out for a while and both McCullers and Morton have been injury-riddled. If they get to a point where they are using replacement level performance in their rotation, which could easily cost them in the standings, their willingness to pay more is worth it because of how large the upgrade is.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 12:34 PM)
I think they wouldn't budge because they didn't feel that Quintana was a big enough of an upgrade to do so, given their initial situation. A rotation featuring Keuchel, McCullers, McHugh, Morton, and Musgrove is talented enough that, if everything goes even according to plan, they'd be sitting OK, and there is potential that rotation could be very good. However, injuries can and do strike, as do struggles. McHugh is out for a while and both McCullers and Morton have been injury-riddled. If they get to a point where they are using replacement level performance in their rotation, which could easily cost them in the standings, their willingness to pay more is worth it because of how large the upgrade is.

I agree. That is a talented bunch and I kinda felt like they might hold off and see how guys are doing or if anyone is hurt before trading off 4-5 guys from their farm. That's completely understandable in my opinion.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 12:34 PM)

I think you are part right, but I also think they are taking the Dodgers approach to the rotation. Pitchers get injured (as they saw), so acquire/develop as many average/above average pitchers as you can.

The injury may have even reinforced the idea that trading out of their pitching depth for one upgrade isn't their best option.

But LAD strategy is good at piling up regular season wins. I do think there's something to be said by splurging for dominance, but that depends on them seeing Q as such. Q may be the single embodiment of the value Dodgers get from depth/above average: Q is less dominant traditionally speaking, but always healthy, always good, and ... lefty.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 12:38 PM)
I agree. That is a talented bunch and I kinda felt like they might hold off and see how guys are doing or if anyone is hurt before trading off 4-5 guys from their farm. That's completely understandable in my opinion.

I agree.

Don't forget they have Chris Devenski and Martes who although maybe can't be stretched out for an extended playoff run this year are very, very capable pitchers. Same goes with Musgroves.

The problem with the Astros is that they'll need a lot to go there way - but hey, didn't the Royals do that for a few years in a row? I can see the Astros bolstering their bullpen with trades of likes of Tony Kemp, etc. but I don't think they'll mortgage their future for Q.

I mean looking at their rotation.. Keuchel, McHugh, McCullers, Morton, Musgrove, Fiers, Devenski, Martes

So if you're talking about getting through a year I think they'll be fine, even with an injury or two. That's 8 pitchers for 5 spots.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 01:05 PM)
I agree.

Don't forget they have Chris Devenski and Martes who although maybe can't be stretched out for an extended playoff run this year are very, very capable pitchers. Same goes with Musgroves.

The problem with the Astros is that they'll need a lot to go there way - but hey, didn't the Royals do that for a few years in a row? I can see the Astros bolstering their bullpen with trades of likes of Tony Kemp, etc. but I don't think they'll mortgage their future for Q.

I mean looking at their rotation.. Keuchel, McHugh, McCullers, Morton, Musgrove, Fiers, Devenski, Martes

So if you're talking about getting through a year I think they'll be fine, even with an injury or two. That's 8 pitchers for 5 spots.

That rotation has to be better than the 2015 Royals' rotation lol

QUOTE (reiks12 @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 12:27 PM)

This was brought up over the winter and at first I thought BS because I was under the impression that Q's CU was his secondary pitch but after looking it up, I was wrong. His CB was his secondary pitch last year.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playe...&position=P

Last I recall, curve balls don't have the break at higher altitudes that they have closer to sea level so based on that I'm not sure Q would be a good fit in Coors.

I find it curious how Q has faded the cutter out of his repertoire while pitching under Cooper who loves the cutter. Can't argue the results though.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 01:05 PM)
I agree.

Right now the Astros do not NEED Quintana, but given the injury history of many of those players you have mentioned that situation could completely change

I understand not wanting to gut the farm at this point, but halfway through the season, when you are in the middle of a division race and you have a fanbase clamoring to win...things can change

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 01:57 PM)
Right now the Astros do not NEED Quintana, but given the injury history of many of those players you have mentioned that situation could completely change

I understand not wanting to gut the farm at this point, but halfway through the season, when you are in the middle of a division race and you have a fanbase clamoring to win...things can change

Definitely. They also need to realize that an injury to the Cubs, Dodgers, Rangers etc could spark a team to just get a Quintana deal done really fast.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 02:04 PM)
Definitely. They also need to realize that an injury to the Cubs, Dodgers, Rangers etc could spark a team to just get a Quintana deal done really fast.

Cubs and Dodgers are particularly intriguing. A guy like Ian Happ would look great in black and white pinstripes

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 02:19 PM)
Cubs and Dodgers are particularly intriguing. A guy like Ian Happ would look great in black and white pinstripes

Tough to see the White Sox and Cubs getting together for a high profile trade, even if it made sense for each club

I can see the Cubs being unwilling to ship off cheap young talent that they will need to help lower payroll costs as their core hits their more expensive arbitration years upcoming

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 02:19 PM)

Cubs have some nice hitting prospects to offer. Jimenez, Almora and Candelerio are pretty interesting too.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 01:48 PM)
Cubs have some nice hitting prospects to offer. Jimenez, Almora and Candelerio are pretty interesting too.

Jiminez, Happ, Candelerio, and a flyer is kind of the ideal trade for the Sox rebuild. Three top 100 hitting prospects (including two in the top 30) really helps with the rebuild.

Makes sense from the Cubs side as well since Happ and Candelerio look blocked for the foreseeable future. If Almora hits for them this year, then Jimenez is as well.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 02:48 PM)

Can't see them dealing what it would take: Jimenez, Happ and Candelario start the conversation I think

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 03:57 PM)
Jiminez, Happ, Candelerio, and a flyer is kind of the ideal trade for the Sox rebuild. Three top 100 hitting prospects (including two in the top 30) really helps with the rebuild.

Makes sense from the Cubs side as well since Happ and Candelerio look blocked for the foreseeable future. If Almora hits for them this year, then Jimenez is as well.

It doesn't make sense to gut the farm when they very well could need that depth in the future

They will need to replace Lackey and Arrieta (assuming he does not resign), but I see them using other means than depleting the farm

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 03:57 PM)

I'd be happy with Jimenez, Happ and Candelerio. Candelerio is ready and Happ could be a September call up, or sooner. Both switch hitters too.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 02:59 PM)
It doesn't make sense to gut the farm when they very well could need that depth in the future

They will need to replace Lackey and Arrieta (assuming he does not resign), but I see them using other means than depleting the farm

That argument literally applies to every farm system. It doesn't make sense for the Rockies to move Rodgers, Pint and Tapia because they might need that depth in the future. It doesn't make sense for the Yankees to move Torres, Frazier, Mateo, etc. because they might need that depth in the future.

Bryant, Russell, Baez, Schwarber, and Almora (assuming he becomes part of that Cubs' core) are under team control for the foreseeable future. The Cubs are the team in exactly the position to use their farm assets to bolster the big league club. That's not to say that they will, but World Series favorites gutting the farm system makes way more sense than teams chasing wild card berths.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 04:24 PM)
I'd be happy with Jimenez, Happ and Candelerio. Candelerio is ready and Happ could be a September call up, or sooner. Both switch hitters too.

As Hawk would say, where's he gonna play? I know Jimenez is the main piece and an OF, but Happ and Candelerio are both 2B and 3B, and the infield is pretty covered. I suppose we could use another 3B prospects, but we really need OF.

I am far from a Cub follower, so alot of you guys probably know the Cubs guys better than I, but isn't Happ supposed to be a butcher at 2B?

Edited by ChiSox59

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 03:29 PM)
As Hawk would say, where's he gonna play? I know Jimenez is the main piece and an OF, but Happ and Candelerio are both 2B and 3B, and the infield is pretty covered. I suppose we could use another 3B prospects, but we really need OF.

I am far from a Cub follower, so alot of you guys probably know the Cubs guys better than I, but isn't Happ supposed to be a butcher at 2B?

Pipeline's scouting report on Happ says that most evaluators outside the Cubs organization think Happ ends up in LF.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 04:29 PM)

The cubs have moved Happ around between LF, RF and 2B since drafting him. IIRC, Happ played RF in college so he's no stranger to playing the OF.

You have a point with Candelerio at third but I don't know what the future holds at third with Davidson, Delmonico and Saladino as the potential heirs to Frazier. I'd like to throw Candelerio's bat into the mix at third.