Updated teams interested in Q

harfman77

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 27, 2017 -> 02:35 PM)
Let's not forget KC is last in MLB OPS.

It's going to take a very nice run in May to be close to that offseason value.

It's going to take Quintana pitching like Quintana, nothing crazy really.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 27, 2017 -> 08:01 PM)
It's going to take Quintana pitching like Quintana, nothing crazy really.

He can do it. But, really even if we look to trade Q it doesn't have to be this year. We have team contract control for a few years and in a true rebuild you can afford to hold onto him until the right deal pops up

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Apr 24, 2017 -> 11:19 AM)
Guys, It is going to be incredibly hard for Q to get his ERA below 4 this season, even if he's typical Q for most of the rest of the year. When you go through your first 4 starts with an ERA approaching 7 it is not easy to recover this season. We might be holding on to him until trade deadline 2018. Just be prepared at this point for him to start 2018 on the Sox.

Q's ERA is now 4.10 and his WHIP is 1.31. It's May 3rd.

He'll be fine and get the Sox a haul whenever they trade him.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ May 3, 2017 -> 08:01 AM)
Q's ERA is now 4.10 and his WHIP is 1.31. It's May 3rd.

He'll be fine and get the Sox a haul whenever they trade him.

I was told oon here maybe 2 weeks ago that it wasnt mathematically likely for him to turn it around and have a respectable ERA this season. :o :o :o

QUOTE (shipps @ May 3, 2017 -> 06:44 AM)
I was told oon here maybe 2 weeks ago that it wasnt mathematically likely for him to turn it around and have a respectable ERA this season. :o :o :o

Yea... poop.

QUOTE (shipps @ May 3, 2017 -> 08:44 AM)

It's ok. The guy you're replying back to acted like the sky was falling during that Twins game where Q got hammered.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ May 3, 2017 -> 09:12 AM)
No I didn't. I was just pissed that he was pitching like trash that particular game.

Here's what you said:

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ April 15, 2017 -> 02:01 PM)
This is awful. Hahn f***ed up big time.

And also:

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ April 15, 2017 -> 02:44 PM)
I'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make, as thus far, Q's value has gone nowhere but down to start the season and it appears as if Hahn made the wrong decision to not trade him in the offseason.

Yes, I am extremely bored at work lol

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ May 3, 2017 -> 09:27 AM)
tenor.gif

But seriously, I was just angry in the heat of the moment. Thankfully Q has made me eat some crow by dominating in his last few starts.

Great moment in the Office.

Seriously though. I'm bored at work which is what has lead me to doing Beat the Streak on mlb.com again and starting Streak for the Cash on ESPN lol

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ May 3, 2017 -> 09:28 AM)
Just a point of comparison, two weeks ago Duffy's ERA was 1.32 and Quintana's ERA was 6.75. Now their ERA is separated by a mere 0.21.

That's especially funny just because it is so driven by the same games.

If you all are interested in beating this dead horse more, I do think that the trade market is looking worse. I think there will be a lot of pitching on the market to the few dominant teams thus far.

But with injuries, Sox may have an advantage if MiGo and Holland continue pitching well to package Q with a 5th starter a la the Smarj/Hammel trade.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 3, 2017 -> 10:27 AM)
If you all are interested in beating this dead horse more, I do think that the trade market is looking worse. I think there will be a lot of pitching on the market to the few dominant teams thus far.

But with injuries, Sox may have an advantage if MiGo and Holland continue pitching well to package Q with a 5th starter a la the Smarj/Hammel trade.

Even if only one of them pitch well, it gives the Sox an option in the not excessively expensive part of the deadline market to offer to teams.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2017 -> 09:32 AM)
Even if only one of them pitch well, it gives the Sox an option in the not excessively expensive part of the deadline market to offer to teams.

This is exactly right.

I think one of the barriers to trading Q is that there are a very limited number of teams with the prospects to meet the Sox asking price there. Adding another starter might move the needle enough to get a team to cough up that package.

In the alternative, the Sox also need to start adding depth to the system on the position player side. If you can't get a team to bite on the Q asking price, even with Gonzalez or Holland added to the deal, you still potentially have a piece or two that should be very movable for value at the deadline.

Yeah we are absolutely hamstrung by needing teams to be contenders with a top farm. I'm excited by those returns, less need to "win" deal on its own terms, opportunity to go after younger players to even out our farm.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 3, 2017 -> 10:27 AM)

How many TOR starters will be available though? I think Q's should be pretty safe as long as he keeps pitching well. To your point though, we should be aggressive with the back-end guys like Gonzalez & Holland. I'd start seriously marketing these guys as soon as June. The market #4 starters could be saturated by July 31st.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ May 3, 2017 -> 10:35 AM)
This is exactly right.

I think one of the barriers to trading Q is that there are a very limited number of teams with the prospects to meet the Sox asking price there. Adding another starter might move the needle enough to get a team to cough up that package.

In the alternative, the Sox also need to start adding depth to the system on the position player side. If you can't get a team to bite on the Q asking price, even with Gonzalez or Holland added to the deal, you still potentially have a piece or two that should be very movable for value at the deadline.

Or adding a reliever? Washington won't move Robles for much of anything. But in the heat of a pennant race, maybe a Q + Robertson package would entice them to include him in a deal?

Beyond that, if the Sox can sign Luis Robert in 3 weeks, to me that takes a lot of pressure off having to move Q. I would at that point be ok with it if the Sox chose to keep him for the long run. Because I'm not sure they could ever get the proper value back for him.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 3, 2017 -> 11:43 AM)
How many TOR starters will be available though? I think Q's should be pretty safe as long as he keeps pitching well. To your point though, we should be aggressive with the back-end guys like Gonzalez & Holland. I'd start seriously marketing these guys as soon as June. The market #4 starters could be saturated by July 31st.

I don't see many TOR starters being available at the deadline at will be under lengthy team control. Rental players do not come cheap either, and a team may have an easier time justifying a longer term piece like Quintana over an expensive three month rental

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 3, 2017 -> 10:43 AM)

To me, the question is what teams have the prospects to meet the Sox asking price. I mean, Texas might want a TOR starter at the deadline, but there's no way they have the pieces to get a deal done.

As of today, the teams are still the teams we spent all offseason talking about: the Yankees, the Cubs, the Astros, the Pirates, and the Rockies. And if the Sox would trade Q within the division, add Cleveland to that. I might be missing a couple teams in there, but it's a pretty limited pool of teams that would be willing to get in on Q and have the resources to pull it off.

That's the issue on moving Q more than anything else, IMO.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ May 3, 2017 -> 11:50 AM)
I don't see many TOR starters being available at the deadline at will be under lengthy team control. Rental players do not come cheap either, and a team may have an easier time justifying a longer term piece like Quintana over an expensive three month rental

Teams acquiring at deadline want to win now. I think that actually discounts Q's value given specifically to his contract. But that he is a great pitcher, probably the best one on the market in July, gives him more value. But there will be only so many competing teams, and Q will cost so much teams may decide to get a hot bullpen piece instead.

But, we can provide depth. The yankees being good is great news.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ May 3, 2017 -> 11:51 AM)
To me, the question is what teams have the prospects to meet the Sox asking price. I mean, Texas might want a TOR starter at the deadline, but there's no way they have the pieces to get a deal done.

As of today, the teams are still the teams we spent all offseason talking about: the Yankees, the Cubs, the Astros, the Pirates, and the Rockies. And if the Sox would trade Q within the division, add Cleveland to that. I might be missing a couple teams in there, but it's a pretty limited pool of teams that would be willing to get in on Q and have the resources to pull it off.

That's the issue on moving Q more than anything else, IMO.

The Dodgers & Cardinals come to mind, but your points still stands. However, that's more of an issue of constrained demand due to a high ask. From a supply perspective, there shouldn't be many TOR starters available and hopefully none that are cost-controlled. There will be plenty of teams pursing Quintana whether they can ultimately meet the high asking price.

The same does not apply to Gonzalez & Holland. If those markets get saturated, we're going to struggle to get much of anything for them. If we're smart, we should take advantage of the fact that we're one of a handful of teams not trying to compete and start selling the fringe pieces early. Plus a back of the rotation starter (one that isn't going to be impactful in October) is much more valuable to buyers in early June than late July. I really think it's key to set the market before teams like the Royals, who may hold off selling until they're certain they're out of the race, join the fray.