Updated teams interested in Q

harfman77

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 10:05 AM)
I think we match up the best with the Yankees and Cubs tbh. I would love a package centered around Rutherford.

Rutherford/Sheffield/Andujar is my dream package. I think Frazier and Torres are off the table due to proximity.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 10:05 AM)
I think we match up the best with the Yankees and Cubs tbh. I would love a package centered around Rutherford.

I'd rather have Clint Frazier TBH. I get why people like Rutherford (I like him too), but I almost think he's a bit overrated around these parts. If I'm dealing Quintana, I need a positional headliner with a bit less projection. Frazier fits the bill IMO and I could actually see him being available.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 09:46 AM)
http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/houston-astros/...arisnick-14317/

I think they need to think outside the box and add Jake Marisnick to the package...they get certainty for the next three years in CF and have a premium defender to give confidence to all our young pitchers that will be coming up.

He's like the WAR equivalent of Quintana, for one year less of control...and obviously you can trade him in 2020 if you want to put Anderson or Moncada in CF instead.

Obviously you'd need Martes back, and a hitting prospect.

CF Marisnick

LF Moncada

RF Garcia

3B Davidson/Burger

SS Anderson

2B SANCHEZ

1B Hosmer/FA

C Collins

DH Abreu

That gives the defense five potentially elite defenders...or they could sign Cain as a free agent. Not to mention Collins could be a really good defender as well.

Undoubtedly, NONE of these things will occur.

Marisnick's defense has been trending down in CF for a while now and he has completely sold out for power as witnessed by his 147 point swing in ISO, his strike out rate and his soft%.

If Sanchez really is a 2.5-3 win player and the org feels better moving Moncada off the dirt his + speed & arm would be best served in CF, reducing Marisnick's value even further.

I have faith in the white sox to develop Collins' defense as witnessed by the mechanical adjustment they made in his crouch to help with his pop times and the kids work ethic. In an age where shifts have become the norm being strong up the middle is all that really matters. If Collins can be average to slightly above and they stick with Anderson who has shown he can be above average in the past and Sanchez at 2B as well as Moncada in CF they'll be a well above average defensive team even with the corners lacking.

QUOTE (daggins @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 10:08 AM)
Rutherford/Sheffield/Andujar is my dream package. I think Frazier and Torres are off the table due to proximity.

Yeah I agree, Torres has been playing 3B extensively at AAA and even with Jacoby locked up for a long time I think the yankees will likely be in a similar situation as the dodgers were with Crawford where he plays as a 20mil a year 4th OF, Frazier is just about ready. I also think with the trades coming up, the sox after this polished draft can afford to be "bold" and target younger players like Rutherford to help reinforce future waves of talent; I would hate to see them lose talent in a similar fashion as the Astros by being forced to move off of JD Martinez and get nothing in return, because top performing prospects are knocking loudly on the door.

QUOTE (beautox @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 09:18 AM)
Marisnick's defense has been trending down in CF for a while now and he has completely sold out for power as witnessed by his 147 point swing in ISO, his strike out rate and his soft%.

If Sanchez really is a 2.5-3 win player and the org feels better moving Moncada off the dirt his + speed & arm would be best served in CF, reducing Marisnick's value even further.

I have faith in the white sox to develop Collins' defense as witnessed by the mechanical adjustment they made in his crouch to help with his pop times and the kids work ethic. In an age where shifts have become the norm being strong up the middle is all that really matters. If Collins can be average to slightly above and they stick with Anderson who has shown he can be above average in the past and Sanchez at 2B as well as Moncada in CF they'll be a well above average defensive team even with the corners lacking.

Okay, Jarrod Dyson is a better example now. Although the weird thing is all the metrics have Leury as a Top 20ish MLB defender.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 08:11 AM)
I'd rather have Clint Frazier TBH. I get why people like Rutherford (I like him too), but I almost think he's a bit overrated around these parts. If I'm dealing Quintana, I need a positional headliner with a bit less projection. Frazier fits the bill IMO and I could actually see him being available.

The state of this transaction is really fascinating to me at the moment.

I can't see myself being an opposing GM with a team competing right now, one that has a need for a 1-2 starter, being willing to move a top 30 prospect +++ for him right now. If I've been scouting Quintana, I'm seeing a guy who isn't confident he can put guys away, he is nibbling, his curveball is vulnerable, etc. Not necessarily anything that cannot be corrected, but how long will that take? Can I get him turned around in time so that I can trust him to pitch in the big games that I need whomever I go out and acquire with these prospects to pitch in? I really don't know for sure what the answer to that question is right now. What if I go out and get him and he just sort of stays where he is at for the rest of the year? That is NOT the guy I need for my team right now.

I almost see there being an opportunity for a team like the Pirates or the Braves. Someone that doesn't necessarily need Q for this season, as they likely won't be competing for anything. They feel good about Q because of his track record, and he fits into their long-term plan because he is cost-controlled and can likely slot in comfortably as a #2 if need be. Perhaps I can go out and acquire him now for .75-85 cents on the dollar, as the White Sox may just want to move on from the constant rumors and questions. I can maybe get him for a slight discount, and because I believe in him over the long-term, it's a risk I am willing to take. Instead of having to move my top guy, maybe I can get away with moving my 2nd guy, along with some other pieces.

That is just my thought process. If I was Cashman or Theo, I would NOT be looking at Q as a guy that I would want to spend some of my bullets on for THIS season. The risk is just too great IMHO.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 09:38 AM)

I can't see myself being an opposing GM with a team competing right now, one that has a need for a 1-2 starter, being willing to move a top 30 prospect +++ for him right now. If I've been scouting Quintana, I'm seeing a guy who isn't confident he can put guys away, he is nibbling, his curveball is vulnerable, etc. Not necessarily anything that cannot be corrected, but how long will that take? Can I get him turned around in time so that I can trust him to pitch in the big games that I need whomever I go out and acquire with these prospects to pitch in? I really don't know for sure what the answer to that question is right now. What if I go out and get him and he just sort of stays where he is at for the rest of the year? That is NOT the guy I need for my team right now.

I almost see there being an opportunity for a team like the Pirates or the Braves. Someone that doesn't necessarily need Q for this season, as they likely won't be competing for anything. They feel good about Q because of his track record, and he fits into their long-term plan because he is cost-controlled and can likely slot in comfortably as a #2 if need be. Perhaps I can go out and acquire him now for .75-85 cents on the dollar, as the White Sox may just want to move on from the constant rumors and questions. I can maybe get him for a slight discount, and because I believe in him over the long-term, it's a risk I am willing to take. Instead of having to move my top guy, maybe I can get away with moving my 2nd guy, along with some other pieces.

That is just my thought process. If I was Cashman or Theo, I would NOT be looking at Q as a guy that I would want to spend some of my bullets on for THIS season. The risk is just too great IMHO.

Or they make it something like Schwarber, Almora and someone like Clifton. Struggling players for each other. Can forget Eloy Jimenez or Happ.

Baez is probably more valuable to the Cubs now anyway, fwiw.

Cubs' fans would say it's an overpay, Sox fans not enough to move the meter.

QUOTE (beautox @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 10:35 AM)
Yeah I agree, Torres has been playing 3B extensively at AAA and even with Jacoby locked up for a long time I think the yankees will likely be in a similar situation as the dodgers were with Crawford where he plays as a 20mil a year 4th OF, Frazier is just about ready. I also think with the trades coming up, the sox after this polished draft can afford to be "bold" and target younger players like Rutherford to help reinforce future waves of talent; I would hate to see them lose talent in a similar fashion as the Astros by being forced to move off of JD Martinez and get nothing in return, because top performing prospects are knocking loudly on the door.

Yankees have that open DH spot as well that could go to a rotation between 4 OFs (mainly Ellsbury).

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 11:11 AM)

He won't come cheap and he has had arm and shoulder issues. With Q, your only risk is performance, which I think improves once he can put these rumors behind him.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 10:45 AM)
Or they make it something like Schwarber, Almora and someone like Clifton. Struggling players for each other. Can forget Eloy Jimenez or Happ.

Cubs don't get Q without Jimenez. End of story. No one wants broken-ass Kyle Schwarber.

QUOTE (beautox @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 10:35 AM)

I'm not sure I understand your JD Martinez point. We literally have like two or three positional prospects that are worth a damn that are above A ball and none of those guys are true outfielders. Adding a legit major league ready OF like Frazier makes complete sense. In fact, it should be our #1 goal at the deadline if at all possible. I'd love to see Delmonico and/or Garcia get a shot in LF, but I'm not passing on a blue chip OF prospect to do so. We can find playing time around the field and at DH for those guys if needed.

Furthermore, our OF glut right now is in A ball. Next year we could have Robert, Call, Basabe, Fisher, & Adolfo all start in A ball. That's five legit prospects already and does not include fringier but still somewhat interesting guys in Booker & Schnurbusch, 2017 draft picks like Gonzalez, Dedelow, & Destiny, & potentially a Latin guy or two. We are literally bursting at the seems in OF talent at the lower levels. If you're concerned about waves of talent, we need to get some guys that can potentially be ready in 2018 & 2019 when we should have major league playing time available. That's where our gap is and what we should be addressing with our best trade chips. Go after A ball prospects with the secondary pieces.

I still like what the Cards have to offer more than most. If the Sox can pull in Kelly, Sierra, and Perez, plus a lottery ticket arm, I would sign up for that. You have two guys in Sierra and Kelly who have ML floors, Sierra still has a pretty nice ceiling, Perez has a ton of ceiling and could be an all star level player at either SS or 3B.

I don't really care that much for what Houston has, there pitchers can't find the strike zone enough and after Tucker they don't have much in the way of position players that are all that intriguing, especially with Fisher now in the majors.

The Yankees could be an intriguing fit, but I am less impressed with their system than most people are. I was really hoping the Braves would find themselves in contention in July and be compelled to make a move with Fried and Acuna being great pieces to target.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 10:56 AM)
I'm not sure I understand your JD Martinez point. We literally have like two or three positional prospects that are worth a damn that are above A ball and none of those guys are true outfielders. Adding a legit major league ready OF like Frazier makes complete sense. In fact, it should be our #1 goal at the deadline if at all possible. I'd love to see Delmonico and/or Garcia get a shot in LF, but I'm not passing on a blue chip OF prospect to do so. We can find playing time around the field and at DH for those guys if needed.

Furthermore, our OF glut right now is in A ball. Next year we could have Robert, Call, Basabe, Fisher, & Adolfo all start in A ball. That's five legit prospects already and does not include fringier but still somewhat interesting guys in Booker & Schnurbusch, 2017 draft picks like Gonzalez, Dedelow, & Destiny, & potentially a Latin guy or two. We are literally bursting at the seems in OF talent at the lower levels. If you're concerned about waves of talent, we need to get some guys that can potentially be ready in 2018 & 2019 when we should have major league playing time available. That's where our gap is and what we should be addressing with our best trade chips. Go after A ball prospects with the secondary pieces.

I was speaking more along of the lines of once all the trades are made it behooves the sox to make sure they insulated themselves by having waves of talent instead of just targeting major league ready players like Frazier. As it stands now the sox have 1 outfield spot available as both Garcia's have shown they deserve a long look, if they just target major league ready players and they don't perform immediately they could be lost for nothing similarly to JD Martinez; just look how long it took Avi, Leury, Yolmer and Davidson to deliver on their promise and it'll still be another year before people feel comfortable referring to them as anything more than a hot streak additionally they still have Tilson and W Garcia who should get long looks as well.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 08:58 AM)
I still like what the Cards have to offer more than most. If the Sox can pull in Kelly, Sierra, and Perez, plus a lottery ticket arm, I would sign up for that. You have two guys in Sierra and Kelly who have ML floors, Sierra still has a pretty nice ceiling, Perez has a ton of ceiling and could be an all star level player at either SS or 3B.

I don't really care that much for what Houston has, there pitchers can't find the strike zone enough and after Tucker they don't have much in the way of position players that are all that intriguing, especially with Fisher now in the majors.

The Yankees could be an intriguing fit, but I am less impressed with their system than most people are. I was really hoping the Braves would find themselves in contention in July and be compelled to make a move with Fried and Acuna being great pieces to target.

They aren't going to move Acuna I don't think...maybe Albies and some arms...but I suspect Acuna will become "untouchable" as has been the theme in recent Q negotiations.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 10:45 AM)

The Cubs aren't trading Kyle Schwarber. For anyone.

I've always had a lower tolerance but if we truly got cubs to offer Jimenez which I doubt (I think they'd want a more sure power pitcher), I'd take an offer of Jimenez, someone like Clifton and Aramis Ademan.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 10:38 AM)

This is the key many people are missing. While Quintana is a good pitcher, he isn't pitching well now. Other GM's want a guy who will help them win this year. That is why they make deadline trades, to help them win this year. If quintana doesn't start pitching better, he will have no value at the deadline. It doesn't mean he won't have value later, he just doesn't have value in a down year.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 11:17 AM)
They aren't going to move Acuna I don't think...maybe Albies and some arms...but I suspect Acuna will become "untouchable" as has been the theme in recent Q negotiations.

I was thinking pretty much the opposite, they have Brandon Phillips on a one year deal to bridge the gap to Albies, they have Markakis through 2018, Kemp through 2019, and Inciarte through 2022. Acuna may be close to untouchable, but given the teams OF depth in the system and their need for controllable starting pitching with Dickey, Colon, and Garcia all hitting FA at the end of the season. Getting Albies back would probably necessitate moving Moncada off 2B, and I am not sure the Sox want to do that.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 09:30 AM)
I was thinking pretty much the opposite, they have Brandon Phillips on a one year deal to bridge the gap to Albies, they have Markakis through 2018, Kemp through 2019, and Inciarte through 2022. Acuna may be close to untouchable, but given the teams OF depth in the system and their need for controllable starting pitching with Dickey, Colon, and Garcia all hitting FA at the end of the season. Getting Albies back would probably necessitate moving Moncada off 2B, and I am not sure the Sox want to do that.

I don't think Markakis is going to stop them from plugging in Acuna if he shows he's ready before the end of 2018.

I don't disagree in regards to Albies though - we already have enough 2b even without considering Moncada, tbh.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 11:49 AM)
I have seen Albies play a few times here in Durham, and I am not a fan at all of his bat. I really question what it would look like at the MLB level.

Albies is 20 years old playing in AAA and posting a .747 OPS. In my opinion he is very advanced for his age, and is performing quite well considering how young he is compared to most AAA players.

I'm a big believer in Albies and feel he will turn out to be a very good player.