The Score Says Next Tuesday

Al Lopez Ghost (old)

Guest hotsoxchick1
Remember who he replaced???

yep thats why i say be careful what you wish for.....with the budget constraints and still payin a years salary on his contract what exactly do ya think we can buy ??? :huh:

Guest hotsoxchick1
Being liked doesn't make you an effective manager...

exactly.. if anything it can have an opposite effect on the abilities to do your job to its best capabilities...... ;)

Guest hotsoxchick1
Yes HSC, :angry:  and his name is Backman

lol soxfest it could be worse.......... i dont think that backman is all that bad quite frankly.... im more worried if its not him..... ;)

Guest hotsoxchick1
So by the "we could end up worse" line of thinking, Michelle, the Sox shouldn't have replaced Bevington cuz the next guy COULD be worse?

I'll take my chances on the next guy, because I KNOW the current guy has run his course...

no i think you missed the point....yes jm had his moments but in the end he did bring us at least 1 division championship team........and quite a few good seasons finishing nothing below 3rd with what he had to work with..... im just sayin that the next guy may not be as good......and if history repeats itself like it always does with this team.. we could be in for a long stretch under new management.....just tryin to shed a bit of light on the opposite side of the fence for all the jm bashers....granted i think he should move on but he wasnt all that bad when he was here..... ;)

So by the "we could end up worse" line of thinking, Michelle, the Sox shouldn't have replaced Bevington cuz the next guy COULD be worse?

I'll take my chances on the next guy, because I KNOW the current guy has run his course...

no i think you missed the point....yes jm had his moments but in the end he did bring us at least 1 division championship team........and quite a few good seasons finishing nothing below 3rd with what he had to work with..... im just sayin that the next guy may not be as good......and if history repeats itself like it always does with this team.. we could be in for a long stretch under new management.....just tryin to shed a bit of light on the opposite side of the fence for all the jm bashers....granted i think he should move on but he wasnt all that bad when he was here..... ;)

fair enough....but I will add this:

"no lower than third" is not that impressive when you take into account the won-lost records of those years.

2002 - 81 and 81

2001 - 83 and 79

2000 - division winners, great year, 95 wins

1999 - 75 and 86, 2nd place but 21.5 GB

1998 - 80 and 82

1997 - 80 and 81

So "no lower than third" isn't so much a positive for the Sox as it is an indication of how crappy the AL Central has been. For most of that time, it was Minnesota, Kansas City and either Milwaukee or Detroit enabling the Sox to finish second.

This year's team has the chance to be the "best 2nd place team" under Manuel, and he's going to get fired for it. That should be some indication that it's time for a change.

When the Cubs begin their playoff push next week, look at the guy on THEIR bench and remember what a manager can do for a team.

Granted, they have outstanding starting pitching. But their lineup won't dazzle you. Their bullpen is average. Somehow Borowski has come up with a career year. Dusty has resurrected Karros and Grudzilanek. He insisted they go out and get Damian Miller, which was a key move. And they have survived with a ton of injuries in a year when the Sox were unbelievably healthy.

And, unlike the Sox, they played their asses off in September, knocking the Cardinals out by winning four out of five in a critical series.

I agree: Jerry wasn't AWFUL.

But the Sox shouldn't settle for average.

Roll the dice and move on.

I believe it was DK who mentioned that the players may have liked Manuel and moving him might be a bad thing. But has anyone considered that that may also be a bad thing? I mean, maybe they like him because he allows them to be lazy, not hustle, lolligag around, and just flat out play like s***.

Get his ass out of town before it gets any worse. I'd take almost anyone over Manuel.

Guest hotsoxchick1
It might not happen at all. When has Jerry R and Ken done anything we thought they would do?

never... jr has never ever done anything the press or fans thinks he should do... hes always been that way and most likely always will be that way... he is one thing and thats loyal, to the ones who f*** him over (in our eyes anyhow) the most.......dont understand it but geez us it takes him forever to get rid of anyone the fans or press dont like.........thats why we need a new owner before we can move onto the next level and actually win something here on the south side...mho......take out the owner and clean house all the way down and ill bet we get a winner.......