• Yes
    • No

I have read:

Harry Potter (Series) by J.K. Rowling

My Brother Sam is Dead by James Lincoln Collier and Christopher Collier

The Giver by Lois Lowry

Goosebumps (Series) by R.L. Stine

Fallen Angels by Walter Dean Myers

Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes - I have heard this one performed..pretty good.

A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein

James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl

Athletic Shorts by Chris Crutcher

Lord of the Flies by William Golding

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain

How to Eat Fried Worms by Thomas Rockwell

I've seen to movie of All Quiet on the Western Front...IMO it's very good. So is A Farewell to Arms.

Also, if you are into football at all, read Friday night Lights about the football team in Odessa Texas. VERY good read.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am jumping in late but I will add a few things.

Dead Zone should never be banned in school, it's one of the greatest books I've ever read. Johnny is still one of my favorite characters. Along those same lines I would argue that books can be even more compelling than movies. They can be way deeper, because you can know what's going on in the characters' minds. Once in a while, a movie will have narrative and once in a while it will shine (ie: Adaptation), but I have on many occasions read a book and seen the movie [including the Green Mile(the book made more sense)], and rarely does the movie do more for me.

Other ones I have read on that list, A Day No Pigs Would Die, The Witches (great book, but the movie freaked me out), Julie of the Wolves, To Kill a Mockingbird, A Light in the Attic (Silverstein and Dahl are two of my adolescent heroes), James and the Giant Peach (love that story), Lord of the Flies (classic), and of course Where's Waldo. None of those should be banned IMO, and I doubt many of them are banned nowadays, but this list is 1900-1999.

Oh and speaking of burns, I got the mother of all burns last year running track. 100 meter dash I lunged at the end, lost my balance, fell forward on a rubber track. Burned from elbow to wrist as roman put it, skin totally gone. Also some burning on my hip and thigh, but the arm took a good three weeks to heal. Without being too descriptive, those were some of the most painful showers I've ever taken.

Those books contain nothing that they havent heard/seen on TV before. :rolleyes:

As for books I've read so far in highschool:

Of Mice and Men

Catch 22 (I see Yosarrian surfing around)

Crime and Punishment

Flowers for Algernon

To Kill a Mockingbird

Huck Finn

All Quiet on the Western Front

Lord of the Flies

I really find it disturbing, but not at all surprising, the "Huck Finn" is on that list. The reason it is being banned, of course, is all the references to "the n*****, Jim", the slave that was Huck's traveling companion. Twain was one of the greatest American authors of his, or any other, time. How can a portrayal of life along the Mississippi River in a pre-Civil War timeframe be accurately portrayed without including the fact that slavery existed and the racial attitudes that were held toward those slaves. It seems to me that if we ignore it, we will eventually forget it. Those that forget history and doomed to repeat it.

I have my finaly year 12 exams in about a month and one of those exams will be Egnlish. The books that I have to do for English r either THings Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe, The Divine Wind by Garry Disher or Othello by Shakespeare. We can also write about the film Gattaca with Ethan Hawke and Uma Thurman. U hav to choose 2 of em. I did To Kill a Mockingbird in year 10 and The Great Gatsby in year 11.

Oh and speaking of burns, I got the mother of all burns last year running track. 100 meter dash I lunged at the end, lost my balance, fell forward on a rubber track. Burned from elbow to wrist as roman put it, skin totally gone. Also some burning on my hip and thigh, but the arm took a good three weeks to heal. Without being too descriptive, those were some of the most painful showers I've ever taken.

Thats brutal. Im not even sure I would shower... :ph34r:

I can't believe "God's Grace" by Bernard Malamud wasn't on the list. The man who gave us The Natural also penned this odd novel that contains a description of a guy f***ing an ape.

They don't differentiate what types of schools are doing the banning. I am completely un-censorship, but could understand why someone would have a problem with a grammar school library containing Madonna's "Sex," or why a catholic school wouldn't want "The Joy of Fisting with Rod and Todd" on their shelves.

Maybe I missed it, but I could have sworn The Autobiography of Malcolm X was one of, if not the, most banned books... Although, maybe schools never even think of teaching it so there's no need to ban it? :huh:

Either way, it's an incredible book. Easily one of the best I've ever read along with To Kill A Mockingbird, Slaughter-house 5, The Qu'ran, and Catcher in the Rye.

Siddartha is a good book.

I personally didn't like it.

Then again, I shocked my history class by announcing I enjoyed reading centennial, a 1000+ page masterpiece describing the evolution of a mouse in the jurrasic period into the humans that run the colorado town in the 1970's