Predict the 2017 Opening Day Roster

Bob Sacamano

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 27, 2017 -> 12:40 PM)
Asche is on a minor league contract, so the Sox have to make room for him on the 40-man. I know Asche has played well, but they can always get him up before the end of April too. If he makes it, it's not that big of a deal either, just that it's easier to control Asche than others who are out of options.

Right, but the only one that really makes sense is Liriano. And he's been bad this spring, and Rabbit has said he Sox want to work with him down in AAA.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doubt anyone is following the first page anymore, so I'll post my updated predictions here.

Catchers: Narvaez, Soto

Infield: Abreu, Saladino, Frazier, Anderson, Sanchez (out of options), Davidson (out of options).

Outfield: Cabrera, Liriano, A. Garcia, L. Garcia (also IF), Asche (also time at 1B and possibly 3B if needed).

1. Anderson SS

2. Saladino 2B

3. Abreu 1B

4. Cabrera LF

5. Frazier 3B

6. A. Garcia RF

7. Asche/Davidson DH

8. Narvaez C (Soto against lefties)

9. L. Garcia (May comes up early)

Bench:

Soto/Narvaez C

Sanchez IF

Davidson/Asche

Liriano OF

Starting Rotation:

Quintana

Shields

Holland

Gonzalez

Covey (he can thank the Rodon injury)

Bullpen:

MR Swarzak

MR Ynoa

MR Petricka

MR Putnam

SU Jennings

SU Jones

CL Robertson

They keep all out-options guys in this scenario.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 09:01 AM)
Doubt anyone is following the first page anymore, so I'll post my updated predictions here.

Catchers: Narvaez, Soto

Infield: Abreu, Saladino, Frazier, Anderson, Sanchez (out of options), Davidson (out of options).

Outfield: Cabrera, Liriano, A. Garcia, L. Garcia (also IF), Asche (also time at 1B and possibly 3B if needed).

1. Anderson SS

2. Saladino 2B

3. Abreu 1B

4. Cabrera LF

5. Frazier 3B

6. A. Garcia RF

7. Asche/Davidson DH

8. Narvaez C (Soto against lefties)

9. L. Garcia (May comes up early)

Bench:

Soto/Narvaez C

Sanchez IF

Davidson/Asche

Liriano OF

Starting Rotation:

Quintana

Shields

Holland

Gonzalez

Covey (he can thank the Rodon injury)

Bullpen:

MR Luebke

MR Ynoa

MR Petricka

MR Putnam

SU Jennings

SU Jones

CL Robertson

They keep all out-options guys in this scenario.

Luebke optioned, so he's out. Only going to go with 1 lefty?

Not to remain totally negative, but a.) Sox are going to get no hit this season, maybe more than once. b.) I expect this to be our worst offensive team in the modern era. Those of you rooting for losses are gonna get them. Seriously, with our bullpen as bad as it is and our offense on track to be the worst in the AL, are we gonna lost 115 games? I think 100 losses is a given, how many more is the question.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 10:29 AM)
Not to remain totally negative, but a.) Sox are going to get no hit this season, maybe more than once. b.) I expect this to be our worst offensive team in the modern era. Those of you rooting for losses are gonna get them. Seriously, with our bullpen as bad as it is and our offense on track to be the worst in the AL, are we gonna lost 115 games? I think 100 losses is a given, how many more is the question.

Not with Abreu, Saladino, Anderson and Frazier. Infield is stacked.

Just spend, spend, spend

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 11:34 AM)
A little surprised Luebke didn't make it as a second lefty, but it's a long season. Chances are he'll be one of the 25 pitchers the Sox use this season.

Same. He was just a minors deal correct? Wonder if he has an opt out. A little surprised we're only going with 1 lefty.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 12:26 PM)
I'm going with Swarzak then.

Lineup-

Saladino, Anderson, Abreu, Cabrera, Frazier, Garcia, Asche, Narvaez, May

Bench-

Sanchez, L Garcia, Davidson, Soto

Rotation-

Quintana, Shields, Holland, Gonzalez, Covey

Bullpen-

Ynoa, Swarzak, Putnam, Jennings, Petricka, Jones, Robertson

DL-

Minaya, Tilson, Rodon

Still to be cut-

Burdi, K Smith, E Cabrera, Delmonico, Hayes, Liriano

Edited by flavum

Dan Hayes @CSNHayes

now

W/ Carlos Rodon & Juan Minaya starting on DL and Zack Burdi headed to Triple-A, leaves 12 pitchers for 12 spots. Means Swarzak/Ynoa are on.

Dan Hayes @CSNHayes

11s

Caveat of course is there's always poss someone gets DFA'd that #WhiteSox have interest in. That's why they wait til Sun to announce moves.

Edited by Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 29, 2017 -> 06:41 PM)
Not sure if they know if Tilson is going to be out that long. If so, yes, they could put him on the 60-day.

If he is going to be in a boot for 3 weeks, he isn't going to be ready to play for at least 3 or 4 weeks after that, if everything goes well, which would be a change for him. Let him take his time and add a week or 2 to the process. It isn't like he is Mike Trout and the Sox need him ASAP.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 29, 2017 -> 06:47 PM)
If he is going to be in a boot for 3 weeks, he isn't going to be ready to play for at least 3 or 4 weeks after that, if everything goes well, which would be a change for him. Let him take his time and add a week or 2 to the process. It isn't like he is Mike Trout and the Sox need him ASAP.

Right, but they'd still have to take him off the DL when he's ready, and call his minor league games a rehab assignment. We just don't know what they're thinking right now.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 29, 2017 -> 06:59 PM)
Right, but they'd still have to take him off the DL when he's ready, and call his minor league games a rehab assignment. We just don't know what they're thinking right now.

Buys time. Maybe some guy you might lose now changes your mind, or there are more injuries.

1. Anderson SS

2. Saladino 2B

3. Abreu 1B

4. Cabrera LF

5. Frazier 3B

6. A.Asche /Avi Garcia RF platoon

7. DH Delmonico/ Garcia DH platoon

8. Narvaez/ Soto platoon

9.Jacob May CF

Bench:

Yolmar Sanchez

Leury Garcia

Delmonico

----------------------------

Delmonico would be useful as a LH DH and pinch hitter. The Sox have a couple of guys who can play third base to back-up Frazier- Saladino, Yolmar Sanchez, Leury Garcia, so they don't need another 3rd baseman. I'd like to see Ashe and Delmonico in the line-up vs. RH pitching, and eventually Moncada.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 29, 2017 -> 11:06 PM)
Delmonico will make his way up sometime, but not now. Davidson made the team.

I know, and I understand why. . I just don't see how Davidson will be that useful as long as the Sox have Frazier at third base. We really need a LH bat with power at DH. Perhaps Davidson will hit RH pitching and be effective as a DH. Otherwise, he is not going to be getting much playing time and might be the first guy who is sent down or released. I hope I am wrong about that player, who appears to be a nice person who has paid his dues to get on the major league roster .

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 29, 2017 -> 06:59 PM)

Wait, I'm pretty sure his rehab assignment can be part of his dl stint.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 30, 2017 -> 06:51 AM)
Wait, I'm pretty sure his rehab assignment can be part of his dl stint.

Yeah, I guess that's true. That injury probably willl keep him away until June, and he's going to have to play his way to Chicago anyway, so they could 60-day DL him. We'll know soon.