White Sox Scout Yankees for Potential Q Trade

DirtySox

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 03:51 PM)
I agree with the Yankees having an overrated system as often as they have a highly touted system but I think that's less true this time around. The guys they got back from Cleveland and the Cubs were highly touted before the Yankees got them. On top of that, the Yanks have objectively hit home runs with their last two first rounders in Rutherford and Kaprelian. Mateo definitely seems overrated though. I am not as big on Frazier as the consensus either but that's splitting hairs.

I do like Rutherford, but I like him as the Kopech piece in a framework of a deal. He is extremely raw, but has a great ceiling. Kaprelian has had injury issues that make him questionable as a key piece to a deal. I do not like Judge at all, Frazier has a lot of good tools, but I am not sure he is going to hit enough. I love Acevedo and think he has the stuff to be an excellent high leverage reliever. Sheffield looks to me like he will end up as a MR, I do like Clarkin as he seems similar to a young John Danks. I just like what they would offer a lot less than what I think the Cardinals would give up in a deal. All of the guys the Yankees got last July had started to lose a lot of their luster. Torres is the one guy that turned it around when he got there and actually raised his value to a level above where it was to start the season.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 03:03 PM)
This appears to be the case for all teams, which is why a deal isn't done with anyone.

Which is why, if this is true, and it appears so, you wait until mid summer and re assess your options. There will be a lot more pressure relative to Hahn and the Sox, on any team looking to get better near the deadline then in March.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 05:01 PM)
Which is why, if this is true, and it appears so, you wait until mid summer and re assess your options. There will be a lot more pressure relative to Hahn and the Sox, on any team looking to get better near the deadline then in March.

I agree. I still think they should keep him. I don't think the other GM's will pay what he is worth but who knows one may get desperate come July.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 04:58 PM)
I have a feeling Rutherford will be Benintendi-lite in about 6 months time. Meaning, he's gonna crush it and become an off the table asset.

Yep I'd be good with Frazier, Rutherford, and a few pitchers. No need for Mateo and Torres probably getting too much hype to make a deal happen right now.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 06:24 PM)
Yep I'd be good with Frazier, Rutherford, and a few pitchers. No need for Mateo and Torres probably getting too much hype to make a deal happen right now.

My guess is if a deal were to go down, the only way we get Torres is if we step back in our demands for the next couple of guys. That means no Mateo, Rutherford, Frazier, etc, and instead the next couple guys would be in the 5-10 prospects range on the Yankees list, with the last a wild card like Diaz.

QUOTE (rcpweiner @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 03:46 PM)
Just spitballing here:

If we're to use Fangraphs' ballparking of Quintana's surplus value ($80 to $90 million), and then compare that to today's "Valuing the 2017 Top Prospects" list, then what seems to make sense would be something along the lines of: Clint Frazier ($38M), Blake Rutherford ($38M), and Justus Sheffield ($14M). Maybe another lottery ticket to boot. Something like that seems right to me.

(Meanwhile, my personal favorite move would be to find a way to pry Austin Meadows ($70M) and Glasnow ($22M) from the Pirates, but it'd likely be just those two.)

(Also: The other crazy thing is we somehow got $129M back plus Basabe / Diaz for Sale.)

I don't think that prospect $ is surplus value, so you have to add more

QUOTE (striker @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 09:12 PM)
I think the Rockies could beat any Yankees offer with Rodgers, Pint, Tapia. Which I'd take over Frazier, Rutherford, +

So can the Braves (whose system I personally like the most), but its probably not happening.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 08:33 PM)
So can the Braves (whose system I personally like the most), but its probably not happening.

To be fair, it doesn't seem like ANYTHING is happening now. If the Rox or Braves are somehow good in the first half, hey, who knows.

QUOTE (striker @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 08:12 PM)
I think the Rockies could beat any Yankees offer with Rodgers, Pint, Tapia. Which I'd take over Frazier, Rutherford, +

I wouldn't. I see Frazier and Rutherford as high upside bats, whereas I'm not that crazy about Tapia. Granted, Rutherford was probably my favorite in last year's draft after Corey Ray.

Am I way off thinking the Yankees could hold on to both Torres and Frazier and get a deal done? Maybe it would take a 5th prospect instead of 4, but I'm not so sure a depth package isn't best for us anyway.

3 of- Rutherford, Mateo, Andujar, and Fowler

2 of- Sheffield, Kaprielian, Adams, Accevedo

I'm sure the 2 sides could up with a package of 4 or 5 out of those that works for both parties.

QUOTE (rcpweiner @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 03:46 PM)
Just spitballing here:

If we're to use Fangraphs' ballparking of Quintana's surplus value ($80 to $90 million), and then compare that to today's "Valuing the 2017 Top Prospects" list, then what seems to make sense would be something along the lines of: Clint Frazier ($38M), Blake Rutherford ($38M), and Justus Sheffield ($14M). Maybe another lottery ticket to boot. Something like that seems right to me.

(Meanwhile, my personal favorite move would be to find a way to pry Austin Meadows ($70M) and Glasnow ($22M) from the Pirates, but it'd likely be just those two.)

(Also: The other crazy thing is we somehow got $129M back plus Basabe / Diaz for Sale.)

Meadows is still my personal favorite as well. (I don't care as much about Glasnow) And it makes so much sense for Pittsburgh, with their glut of OFs already! Oh well...

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 14, 2017 -> 07:05 AM)
I'd take Rutherford, Mateo, Andujar, and Kapreilian in a heartbeat but I don't think New York would do that.

There's too much uncertainty in that package in my opinion, plus I'm not sure the Yankees would do that

All of those players have some sort of legitimate question mark

1) Rutherford = distance from majors and still has a lot of development left

2) Mateo = attitude issues, suspension, some questions about the bat, tons of defensive errors

3) Kaprelian = Can he stay healthy?

4) Andujar = defensive issues

QUOTE (hi8is @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 05:58 PM)
I have a feeling Rutherford will be Benintendi-lite in about 6 months time. Meaning, he's gonna crush it and become an off the table asset.

There is a stark difference there. Benny never played Rookie ball and Rutherford has never played above rookie ball. I think that Rutherford could get to that status, but it would more than like be 18 months than six. Come July he is going to be a 20 year old prospect that has never played above A ball. The knock on Rutherford in the draft last year was that he was old for a HS player (19) and thats why many of the analysts believe he slipped to where he did.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Mar 14, 2017 -> 08:32 AM)
Meadows is still my personal favorite as well. (I don't care as much about Glasnow) And it makes so much sense for Pittsburgh, with their glut of OFs already! Oh well...

A resurgent year from McCutchen in RF could make him expendable. Guess we'll see come mid-season!

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 14, 2017 -> 07:53 AM)
A resurgent year from McCutchen in RF could make him expendable. Guess we'll see come mid-season!

As a baseball fan I personally would love to see Cutch signed to a long term deal. I appreciate star players who are able to be with one team for their career.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 14, 2017 -> 07:51 AM)
There is a stark difference there. Benny never played Rookie ball and Rutherford has never played above rookie ball. I think that Rutherford could get to that status, but it would more than like be 18 months than six. Come July he is going to be a 20 year old prospect that has never played above A ball. The knock on Rutherford in the draft last year was that he was old for a HS player (19) and thats why many of the analysts believe he slipped to where he did.

Perhaps, but Benintendi's speed and defense still grade out significantly better than Rutherford's

You can't really teach speed, and scouts figure Rutherford's speed will slow down as he fills out, which will limit him to a corner OF spot. He looks like a quality prospect, but is at least three seasons away from the majors.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Mar 14, 2017 -> 09:19 AM)
Perhaps, but Benintendi's speed and defense still grade out significantly better than Rutherford's

You can't really teach speed, and scouts figure Rutherford's speed will slow down as he fills out, which will limit him to a corner OF spot. He looks like a quality prospect, but is at least three seasons away from the majors.

Yeah, I think if you were to comp the guys to current players Benintendi comps to Grady Sizemore (pre-injury) and Rutherford is more of a Matt Kemp or Jay Bruce.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 10:58 PM)
I wouldn't. I see Frazier and Rutherford as high upside bats, whereas I'm not that crazy about Tapia. Granted, Rutherford was probably my favorite in last year's draft after Corey Ray.

Yeah, I agree with this. I love Rodgers and think he's going to be great, but he's also pretty far away, and Tapia's ceiling seems to be everyday OF but nothing special. If Pint can stay healthy, he's a really interesting prospect, but the Sox are also loaded with pitching prospects.

For the Sox's needs, I think a package centered around Frazier and Rutherford is a better fit. High upside bats all day.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 14, 2017 -> 09:33 AM)
Yeah, I think if you were to comp the guys to current players Benintendi comps to Grady Sizemore (pre-injury) and Rutherford is more of a Matt Kemp or Jay Bruce.

He's comp'd a lot to David Justice.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Mar 14, 2017 -> 09:44 AM)
Yeah, I agree with this. I love Rodgers and think he's going to be great, but he's also pretty far away, and Tapia's ceiling seems to be everyday OF but nothing special. If Pint can stay healthy, he's a really interesting prospect, but the Sox are also loaded with pitching prospects.

For the Sox's needs, I think a package centered around Frazier and Rutherford is a better fit. High upside bats all day.

Rodgers is closer than Rutherford, Rodgers played a full season of A ball this season and dominated Rutherford hasn't played above R ball and is the same age. Pint is a younger version of Kopech, with a huge fastball that needs to refine his command to be successful. With the Sox track record of developing pitching he is very intriguing.

To me Rodgers/Pint > Rutherford/Frazier. Rodgers status as an up the middle player is huge and the Pint/Sox combo sets the bar really high. Rutherford is a corner OF with high bat upside but the lowest floor of any of the four players discussed. Frazier has lost quite a bit of luster with his struggles (SSS) in AAA.