White Sox Scout Yankees for Potential Q Trade

DirtySox

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 14, 2017 -> 09:58 AM)
Rodgers is closer than Rutherford, Rodgers played a full season of A ball this season and dominated Rutherford hasn't played above R ball and is the same age. Pint is a younger version of Kopech, with a huge fastball that needs to refine his command to be successful. With the Sox track record of developing pitching he is very intriguing.

To me Rodgers/Pint > Rutherford/Frazier. Rodgers status as an up the middle player is huge and the Pint/Sox combo sets the bar really high. Rutherford is a corner OF with high bat upside but the lowest floor of any of the four players discussed. Frazier has lost quite a bit of luster with his struggles (SSS) in AAA.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-consens...ct-katoh-hates/

This article would make me nervous about acquiring Rodgers as a centerpiece.

Rodgers’ 2016 performance looks great on the surface. After all, very few teenage shortstops put up OPSs north of .800 in full-season ball. But it’s important to note that Rodgers’ performance took place in Low-A Asheville, which is a very hitting-friendly environment, especially for right-handed hitters. According to StatCorner, the home-run park factor for righties there is 210. 210! The park factor for doubles and triples is only slightly less extreme, at 167. By comparison, the site has Coors Field’s factors ranging from 108 to 132 by these same metrics. As a result, KATOH dings his power output quite a bit due to his hitting environment.

Rodgers’ home-road splits from last year support KATOH’s fears. He hit a robust .319/.378/.600 at home, but a puny .247/.310/.372 on the road.

So Rodgers did dominate but he also played in an extremely friendly hitter's park, basically Coors on steroids and he didn't hit well on the road.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also just think with their injuries this year, the Rockies are even less likely than the Braves to grab an ace pitcher.

on EW podcast they asked their Rockies writer to give a win total and they said 74, before Desmond was even injured. It isn't a go-for-it year anymore.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 14, 2017 -> 10:27 AM)
I also just think with their injuries this year, the Rockies are even less likely than the Braves to grab an ace pitcher.

on EW podcast they asked their Rockies writer to give a win total and they said 74, before Desmond was even injured. It isn't a go-for-it year anymore.

I really do not get what the Rox are doing. They appear to be hording all the outfielders they can get their hands on but aren't doing much to help their pitching. It's like they are half-assed going for it.

Was nice talking about trade packages over the winter but I've given up on the idea of the Rox trading for Q, period.

Still believe the Yanks, Pirates, Astros will be in the mix and teams like the Jays, Dodgers, cubs and Braves could become more serious as we get closer to July. I expect a handful of teams to seriously pursue Q as we get into July.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Mar 14, 2017 -> 11:45 AM)
I really do not get what the Rox are doing. They appear to be hording all the outfielders they can get their hands on but aren't doing much to help their pitching. It's like they are half-assed going for it.

Was nice talking about trade packages over the winter but I've given up on the idea of the Rox trading for Q, period.

Still believe the Yanks, Pirates, Astros will be in the mix and teams like the Jays, Dodgers, cubs and Braves could become more serious as we get closer to July. I expect a handful of teams to seriously pursue Q as we get into July.

They're pulling a 2015-2016 bizzaro Sox

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 14, 2017 -> 12:05 PM)
They're pulling a 2015-2016 bizzaro Sox

This would be the best explanation I've heard yet. :lol:

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 14, 2017 -> 12:23 PM)
Daryl Van Schouwen‏Verified account @CST_soxvan 49m49 minutes ago Jose Quintana back here with White Sox this morning.

Welcome back Ace!

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Mar 14, 2017 -> 08:24 AM)
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-consens...ct-katoh-hates/

This article would make me nervous about acquiring Rodgers as a centerpiece.

So Rodgers did dominate but he also played in an extremely friendly hitter's park, basically Coors on steroids and he didn't hit well on the road.

Good point, It's nice seeing some real analysis on these prospects and hopefully the Sox do this kind of due diligence before acquiring them. One would expect better home numbers from most players but drastic splits are a bad sign. All around consistency is much more indicative of the true talent level.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 14, 2017 -> 09:27 AM)

Bettis' cancer coming back didn't help an already thin rotation, but the Rockies' offense looks stacked. The question is whether their young rotation can continue to improve, and if they can get any meaningful contributions from Marquez and Hoffman at the back of their rotation.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Rockies won 70 games. I wouldn't be surprised if the Rockies found themselves in contention come the trade deadline. But if they aren't in contention at the trade deadline, there's no reason for them to be a buyer for Q.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 14, 2017 -> 09:51 AM)
This feels too light for me. Rutherford is nice and all but I think he's too much of a wildcard at this point in time to be the main prospect in a deal.

I think if something like that is too light, Quintana is never being traded.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 11:09 AM)
I think if something like that is too light, Quintana is never being traded.

Rutherford has never even played above rookie ball and is only 19 years old. There's no way I'd take someone as uncertain as him as the main piece in a Q deal, especially considering Q is as much of a sure thing as there is in all of baseball.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 11:01 AM)
Rutherford has never even played above rookie ball and is only 19 years old. There's no way I'd take someone as uncertain as him as the main piece in a Q deal, especially considering Q is as much of a sure thing as there is in all of baseball.

Totally agreed

The price for a #1 or upper echelon #2 starting pitcher like Quintana on a cheap 4 year contract should be sky high

Rutherford is a good prospect, but certainly not enough to headline a package. Sox need multiple elite prospects to even consider a move.

I think there is still plenty enough to get a deal done. If you clean out almost all of the rest of their top 10, I think you still win.

Even without Torres and Frazier that still leaves position players like Mateo, Rutherford, Andujar, McKinney, Judge, and Garcia. I think every single one of those guys would be in our 3-5 top position players.

That also doesn't touch their pitching depth. We could absolutely load up on quality and quantity.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 01:02 PM)
I think there is still plenty enough to get a deal done. If you clean out almost all of the rest of their top 10, I think you still win.

Even without Torres and Frazier that still leaves position players like Mateo, Rutherford, Andujar, McKinney, Judge, and Garcia. I think every single one of those guys would be in our 3-5 top position players.

That also doesn't touch their pitching depth. We could absolutely load up on quality and quantity.

I doubt the Yankees would make a 5 for 1 or 6 for 1 trade for Q. Besides, I want a couple really good prospects instead of a bunch of decent ones.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 01:15 PM)
I doubt the Yankees would make a 5 for 1 or 6 for 1 trade for Q. Besides, I want a couple really good prospects instead of a bunch of decent ones.

Personally, I doubt the Yankees would make any trade for Q right now. Just need them to be in contention in July.

QUOTE (peppers312 @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 01:25 PM)
if the Yanks aren't giving up Sanchez and/or Torres as one of the pieces why are we talking to them again?

is their farm system THAT loaded with other prospects the Sox would be interested in acquiring?

I have no idea how the Sox rank the Yankees system, but I sort of agree with you. All we hear is so and so isn't on the table for Q. OK, Q isn't on the table for your team. It's not only their top prospect, but it seems with a couple of teams 2 or 3 prospects are supposedly untouchable. They can f*** off.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (peppers312 @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 01:25 PM)
if the Yanks aren't giving up Sanchez and/or Torres as one of the pieces why are we talking to them again?

is their farm system THAT loaded with other prospects the Sox would be interested in acquiring?

Frazier and Rutherford is the equivalent of Martes/Tucker IMO. It's a starter.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 01:15 PM)

Those players would be better than just about anyone in our system that wasn't acquired since the 2016 draft.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 03:29 PM)
Those players would be better than just about anyone in our system that wasn't acquired since the 2016 draft.

In a hypothetical of Frazier, Rutherford, Sheffield, Andujar (the absolute best I think Hahn could get without Torres) then our rankings would be...

Moncada

Giolito

Kopech

Frazier

Rutherford

Lopez

Sheffield

Collins

Fulmer

Hansen

Burdi

Basabe

Andujar

Those additions are nothing to sneeze at and boost the three org farm needs (LHP, OF, 3B)

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 03:09 PM)
In a hypothetical of Frazier, Rutherford, Sheffield, Andujar (the absolute best I think Hahn could get without Torres) then our rankings would be...

Moncada

Giolito

Kopech

Frazier

Rutherford

Lopez

Sheffield

Collins

Fulmer

Hansen

Burdi

Basabe

Andujar

Those additions are nothing to sneeze at and boost the three org farm needs (LHP, OF, 3B)

That is the trade I think happens if it is the yanks... but I don't think it will end up being with the yanks. those 4 would be great get.