3/10 game thread

QUOTE (hi8is @ Mar 10, 2017 -> 07:03 PM)
Any idea what something is?

That's the hard count for pitches for the first round. Any pitcher going over 50+ has to have 4 days rest, so Q's WBC is most likely done if they lose tonight.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 11, 2017 -> 02:16 AM)
I wanna trade Q as much as the next guy but f*** it'd hurt so bad to see him go, maybe even more then Sale, dude is nails.

Him and Buehrle easily two most likable Sox pitchers in a long time

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 10, 2017 -> 07:16 PM)
I wanna trade Q as much as the next guy but f*** it'd hurt so bad to see him go, maybe even more then Sale, dude is nails.

Agreed, but I'll root for him in the playoffs this year, and enjoy the Sox playoff teams of 2020-2023 (hopefully).

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 10, 2017 -> 08:16 PM)

He's easily the best signing in team history and is pure class. I'll miss him badly.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 10, 2017 -> 07:17 PM)
Him and Buehrle easily two most likable Sox pitchers in a long time

Probably my 2 favorite ever, literally nothing not to like about either. Just effortless, crafty lefty bad asses, the epitome of baseball.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 10, 2017 -> 07:16 PM)
I wanna trade Q as much as the next guy but f*** it'd hurt so bad to see him go, maybe even more than Sale, dude is nails.

Sale is an incredible talent. But Q goes about his business in a way thats unassuming. He makes you forget he's an ace.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 10, 2017 -> 08:40 PM)
Q was Q and f*** all the teams who low balled the Sox in pursuit of him. I DVR'd this game and once Q came out read the posts here . Lots of nice things said. Very proud of the kid . He was aces, nails and and puppy dog tails.

I'm just glad we didnt blink and deal him for a lowball offer. Guy is an Ace, a #2 on a staff that has a perennial Cy contender. He's worth a s***load based on his on the field performance, and his off the field demeanor just adds to it.

Personally I'd rather the keep the guy for the long haul. He's the type of pitcher that stays this way for a long time, and you need a top of the rotation guy after the rebuild.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 10, 2017 -> 06:48 PM)
I'm just glad we didnt blink and deal him for a lowball offer. Guy is an Ace, a #2 on a staff that has a perennial Cy contender. He's worth a s***load based on his on the field performance, and his off the field demeanor just adds to it.

Personally I'd rather the keep the guy for the long haul. He's the type of pitcher that stays this way for a long time, and you need a top of the rotation guy after the rebuild.

It's a tough call. The longer you keep him the bigger the risk becomes. I've made post after post about how durable and good he is but the Sox need some position player depth if the rebuild is going to be successful. Kind of have to trust the arms we got will end up succeeding because if they don't having Q around won't be a big help.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 10, 2017 -> 09:00 PM)
It's a tough call. The longer you keep him the bigger the risk becomes. I've made post after post about how durable and good he is but the Sox need some position player depth if the rebuild is going to be successful. Kind of have to trust the arms we got will end up succeeding because if they don't having Q around won't be a big help.

Sure, but with him you have the #1 spot locked down. Thats something every team searches for.

Of course on the flip side you can trade him for top prospects and hope that one of the younger guys develops into that #1 guy. But thats always a risk. If Giolito becomes a #2 type guy, you have POSSIBLY a real solid 1-3 and maybe 1-4 if Fulmer develops.

They need to move him. There is not near enough talent in this organization yet to contend.

Maybe Hahn can produce a miracle trading Frazier, Robertson and Jones, but I doubt it. And if Burdi pitches to his spring training reviews, he should be moved too.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 10, 2017 -> 09:10 PM)
They need to move him. There is not near enough talent in this organization yet to contend.

Maybe Hahn can produce a miracle trading Frazier, Robertson and Jones, but I doubt it. And if Burdi pitches to his spring training reviews, he should be moved too.

Thats definitely one school of thought. They need a lot of talent. And Q should command a ridiculous haul. I guess it comes down to getting a Kris Bryant type of player as the headliner.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 10, 2017 -> 07:10 PM)

Why the f*** would we trade Burdi?

They made a good point during the broadcast about starting Q because the USA team was a lot of NL'ers . Maybe Pittsburgh will still be interested . I think Q would kill in the NL.

I'm also glad Smoltz was doing the game and said it was the most impressive pitching performance he had ever seen in the WBC. The same John Smoltz who when the MLB network was doing Top 10 Right Now recently didn't even include Q in his Top 20.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Mar 10, 2017 -> 09:31 PM)

They wont anyway. He's a cost-controlled back of the pen guy that wants to be in Chicago. He's here for awhile.

What will be interesting is if they keep him there or try to make him a starter. Personally I think he's a set up guy or closer for the long haul.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 10, 2017 -> 09:33 PM)
They made a good point during the broadcast about starting Q because the USA team was a lot of NL'ers . Maybe Pittsburgh will still be interested . I think Q would kill in the NL.

I'm also glad Smoltz was doing the game and said it was the most impressive pitching performance he had ever seen in the WBC. The same John Smoltz who when the MLB network was doing Top 10 Right Now recently didn't even include Q in his Top 20.

Literally everyone forgets about Q until they see the stats. He's just one of those guys. I've won many a dollar in bets comparing his stats to well know aces.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Mar 10, 2017 -> 07:31 PM)

I know I didn't write that but I can see his reasoning. If the some of pitching prospects we have fail to stick as starters they may make it as relievers. So if Burdi pitches lights out this year or next the market for relievers is always very strong at the deadline. Seems like it's not a strong possibility considering Sox would move Robertson and then Jones first and second. Also Putnam or Jennings, Petricka, if also having good years could be moved as 6th and 7th inning guys.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 10, 2017 -> 07:34 PM)
They wont anyway. He's a cost-controlled back of the pen guy that wants to be in Chicago. He's here for awhile.

What will be interesting is if they keep him there or try to make him a starter. Personally I think he's a set up guy or closer for the long haul.

I've read muy quotes from Sox brass and Burdi himself that make him out to be a reliever. Couple that with his use this spring and the path is pretty clear.