2017 Cubs Catch-all thread

southsider2k5

Of course Happ hit a homer in his first game up...413 foot blast off Martinez.

Schwarber down to .183 now. Just missed a tying homer in the last at-bat of the game, came up three feet short of the wall to Fowler in straightaway center. Dropped a foul ball down the line for an error.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 13, 2017 -> 12:38 PM)
Cubs apparently at war with Ronnie "Woo Woo" Wickers

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/cubs-superfan...-193927524.html

This was the dumbest thing ever. He tried to sneak into a game without a ticket, got kicked out, some other guy brought him back in with no ticket and he got kicked out again. Dude was at 5(!!!) games last week and got kicked out once. Cubs owe him nothing, he isn't a free customer

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 13, 2017 -> 08:45 PM)
This was the dumbest thing ever. He tried to sneak into a game without a ticket, got kicked out, some other guy brought him back in with no ticket and he got kicked out again. Dude was at 5(!!!) games last week and got kicked out once. Cubs owe him nothing, he isn't a free customer

People do give him their extra for nothing. He lives in a senior retirement building a few blocks from me. I see him at 7-11 all the time with his full Cubs uniform. He got free teeth, people take him home with them. He was busted several years ago in Schaumburg for wooing in someone's backyard at 2 AM. He doesn't appear to be clever enough to sneak in all the time. I am guessing at one point they used to let him in, and the policy changed. But I agree, I don't see what the argument is if you don't have a ticket. I guess that they are checking him and no one else. Now what will happen is someone will give them their ticket after they are in. Producing a ticket won't be hard, the question is with all the security you have to go through, how is it this guy is supposedly sneaking in, iMO, it should make he Cubs look bad from that angle. I am also pretty sure they are targeting him.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 15, 2017 -> 03:23 PM)
I am honestly curious what his numbers are after that report came out that he was on PEDs and he said it was Pilates

Always an interest when any athlete is described as a "workout" freak. when any story pops up about how dedicated said athlete is to multiple daily work outs in any form, there is always a little suspicion.

Especially when someone is not very good and all of a sudden becomes dominant.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 15, 2017 -> 03:23 PM)
I am honestly curious what his numbers are after that report came out that he was on PEDs and he said it was Pilates

That article came out April 26th of last year, so since then Arrieta has a 3.92 ERA and 3.75 FIP over 211 innings and 35 starts.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ May 15, 2017 -> 05:05 PM)
That article came out April 26th of last year, so since then Arrieta has a 3.92 ERA and 3.75 FIP over 211 innings and 35 starts.

Definitely not terrible, but closer to Oriole Arrietta than Cubs Arrietta

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Apr 30, 2017 -> 09:17 PM)
Oh ok. Thought you were calling me a clown for my post.

I just can't believe how overrated Schwarber is. He's a one dimensional player and unless he's mashing like big papi in his prime he's going to be hard pressed to be a 3+ WAR player over a full season because of his defensive limitations. Yet some Sox fans I know want to trade Q for him straight up and some people somehow think he's a top 20 player in baseball. I really don't get it. I can't think of another player more overrated in today's game.

Now Scot Gregor thinks this is a "trade match made in heaven." :lol:

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/20170515...a-for-schwarber

Schwarber with his 6th homer. (683 OPS, aka Avi Garcia 2014-2016 form)

With that hitting pedigree, short of another catastrophic injury, have a hard time believing his value could fall much more.

Can Happ really play CF? Guess we'll find out.

Final note: Wish we had that young Reds' line-up 2-6, with Hamilton patrolling CF. Pretty exciting young offense...their problem obviously is pitching. Mesoraco looked like he was going to be an excellent player as well before all the setbacks.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ May 16, 2017 -> 08:53 PM)
Happ is going to mash. Has a great power swing

Really impressed with him since he came up. We'll see what happens when scouting reports come into play on him, but I like his swing, eye, etc. Just looks like he can be very good.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 17, 2017 -> 03:05 AM)
Really impressed with him since he came up. We'll see what happens when scouting reports come into play on him, but I like his swing, eye, etc. Just looks like he can be very good.

I think he has better offensive numbers already than Anderson this season

QUOTE (fathom @ May 17, 2017 -> 09:11 PM)
Davis for Soler was a ridiculous steal for the Cubs

Yep, and it crippled the back end of the Royals' pen. With Holland and Davis both gone, the rest of their relievers have been bumped up in their roles or overexposed. Plus Soria has been a terrible signing from the very beginning.

On paper, it made sense for KC, but the reality is Soler's health and defensive shortcomings mitigate most of his positive value.

Epstein's probably kicking himself he didn't try to pull off that trade last year (when he got Chapman instead), as he'd still have Gleyber Torres.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 17, 2017 -> 10:26 PM)
Yep, and it crippled the back end of the Royals' pen. With Holland and Davis both gone, the rest of their relievers have been bumped up in their roles or overexposed. Plus Soria has been a terrible signing from the very beginning.

On paper, it made sense for KC, but the reality is Soler's health and defensive shortcomings mitigate most of his positive value.

Epstein's probably kicking himself he didn't try to pull off that trade last year (when he got Chapman instead), as he'd still have Gleyber Torres.

Wade Davis got hurt last year in July I believe. Don't think he was really an option.