Tank for Beer

hi8is

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Apr 3, 2017 -> 09:13 AM)
I don't know... I think losing like that can be bad on a young player's psyche.

Plus none of this tanking stuff will work like we want it to if JR won't let Rick Hahn make the trades to get young talent for the proven veterans. That is my concern.

Like the Sale trade? Sox management has been unified on this front for a while.

And as far as psyche, there's really not a high probability that Tim Anderson or any one young guy is going to play to the point that the Sox are suddenly contenders. The young guys can play well and they can still lose.

QUOTE (coco1997 @ Apr 3, 2017 -> 08:08 AM)
To use as a cover photo. I'll credit you if you'd like.

For your personal Facebook cover?

I didn't save the PSD but you're welcome to use the flat file yourself and hack it up to reconfigure it to the cover size.

I'm conflicted. I want to lose a bunch of games, but I also obviously want to see some vets do well to boost their trade value (e.g., Frazier, Robertson, Abreu) and see some young guys continue to get better. Hopefully the vets do well early, we can ship them out, and then really start the sucking....

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Apr 3, 2017 -> 11:39 AM)
I'm conflicted. I want to lose a bunch of games, but I also obviously want to see some vets do well to boost their trade value (e.g., Frazier, Robertson, Abreu) and see some young guys continue to get better. Hopefully the vets do well early, we can ship them out, and then really start the sucking....

There shouldn't be much to be conflicted about. We should all want Quintana, Robertson, Jones, Frazier, & Melky to do well in order to maximize their trade value. That's more important than getting a high pick IMO. Having said that, there is more than enough filler on this roster to help pile up the losses. We're going to lose a ton of games started by Gonzalez, Shields, Holland, & Covey, because our offense & defense is simply not good enough to offset their below average production. We can thank the fringe major leaguers on the roster like Davidson, Asche, May, Navarez, & Avi for that. If even one of those guys can develop into something for us that's a win, but the likely outcome is they will all suck contribute to a high pick. And let's not forget that a lot of the young, legit prospects we call up will struggle at first. Growing pains will also help the cause. So my advice for everyone is not to worry much about wins &nlosses as things will work themselves out and the ultimate result should be positive for the rebuild.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 3, 2017 -> 10:33 AM)
There shouldn't be much to be conflicted about. We should all want Quintana, Robertson, Jones, Frazier, & Melky to do well in order to maximize their trade value. That's more important than getting a high pick IMO. Having said that, there is more than enough filler on this roster to help pile up the losses. We're going to lose a ton of games started by Gonzalez, Shields, Holland, & Covey, because our offense & defense is simply not good enough to offset their below average production. We can thank the fringe major leaguers on the roster like Davidson, Asche, May, Navarez, & Avi for that. If even one of those guys can develop into something for us that's a win, but the likely outcome is they will all suck contribute to a high pick. And let's not forget that a lot of the young, legit prospects we call up will struggle at first. Growing pains will also help the cause. So my advice for everyone is not to worry much about wins &nlosses as things will work themselves out and the ultimate result should be positive for the rebuild.

+1

There's a lot of ways this season can go "right" that are highly probable.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 3, 2017 -> 12:33 PM)

Now this is a post and thought process I can get behind.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 3, 2017 -> 12:33 PM)

Yes. Exactly all of this is right, love the post!

You have to first love baseball. Even as "bad" as these guys appear to be, they are among the 300 or so best baseball players in the world. Plus, the other teams have some really good players. If you love baseball at a high level MLB is the way to go.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Apr 3, 2017 -> 09:39 AM)

The line up might actually produce more runs later in the season with the young guys + Abreu if the Sox keep him around for Moncada's sake. Ideally the Sox could move Q, Shields and Gonzalez but then who the hell starts ? The Rodon situation doesn't feel right, like it's a precursor to a larger injury.

Sox might want to sign Peavy or Fister or Edwin Jackson or check into the remaining free agent starters. I think they need another guy to eat innings when Covey , Shields and Gonzalez all bomb. They will wreck their bullpen arms.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 4, 2017 -> 07:12 AM)
The line up might actually produce more runs later in the season with the young guys + Abreu if the Sox keep him around for Moncada's sake. Ideally the Sox could move Q, Shields and Gonzalez but then who the hell starts ? The Rodon situation doesn't feel right, like it's a precursor to a larger injury.

Sox might want to sign Peavy or Fister or Edwin Jackson or check into the remaining free agent starters. I think they need another guy to eat innings when Covey , Shields and Gonzalez all bomb. They will wreck their bullpen arms.

Yeah, the Sox will find someone to pitch, but we're not going to like it.

On the bright side, this has a chance to be the worst season of it. At least Moncada might be exciting.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Apr 4, 2017 -> 06:30 AM)
i don't think anyone is catching the padres. That team is the hottest of garbage

yeah they've got 5 rule V players on their roster tied with the '03 tigers in that division i could see them surpassing the tigers loss record. Still a top 3 pick is fine.

QUOTE (beautox @ Apr 4, 2017 -> 09:37 AM)
yeah they've got 5 rule V players on their roster tied with the '03 tigers in that division i could see them surpassing the tigers loss record. Still a top 3 pick is fine.

Beer's bat looks great, but I don't like hearing scouts questioning his ability to stick in the outfield

If he is a 1B/DH player only his value will take a bit time hit, even with a great bat. Doubtful he goes #1 or even #2 overall

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Apr 4, 2017 -> 11:14 AM)
Beer's bat looks great, but I don't like hearing scouts questioning his ability to stick in the outfield

If he is a 1B/DH player only his value will take a bit time hit, even with a great bat. Doubtful he goes #1 or even #2 overall

Might bode well for the people that want him and we don't finish say top 5.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Apr 4, 2017 -> 11:14 AM)

If he is Frank Thomas, he's well worth #1 or #2. If his bat is as good as the hype, he is obviously going to be desired. But Frank went 7th, so sometimes people out dumb themselves. At Soxfest, Frank was talking about the draft. He said the Braves were talking about taking him but decided to take Tyler Houston instead. And that is a front office that didn't make too many mistakes.

If the position is the only thing from keeping him a 1-1 guy, and it may be, I hope the Sox pounce on him wherever they wind up selecting.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Apr 4, 2017 -> 09:14 AM)

I know he wasn't a 1/1 pick but that Frank Thomas guy who was a 1B / DH type sure was a questionable draft choice because of his positional value. Should have taken Ben McDonald or Jeff Jackson, if only they would have been available at our pick that year.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Apr 2, 2017 -> 07:42 PM)
Yeah, I'm not gonna actively root for us to lose. I'm totally aware of the benefits it could reap, but I can't actively want it to happen.

That is just it. I think we get MORE benefits from the team playing well and having assets to trade, than we do for moving up a few draft pick slots. Sure we get a better player up front, but I think potential packages for guys like Avi, Frazier, Melky, Robertson etc, would long outweigh the better draft pick position. We'd be getting multiple players back, who are closer to the majors, and more of a known quantity.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 4, 2017 -> 11:42 AM)
That is just it. I think we get MORE benefits from the team playing well and having assets to trade, than we do for moving up a few draft pick slots. Sure we get a better player up front, but I think potential packages for guys like Avi, Frazier, Melky, Robertson etc, would long outweigh the better draft pick position. We'd be getting multiple players back, who are closer to the majors, and more of a known quantity.

Eh, I don't know. If you can land a White Sox version of Kris Bryant in the draft - that's going to be darn near impossible to top anywhere else, including from a Quintana trade. Of course, landing that type of player I understand is a longshot, both with getting that pick, and him actually working out to that degree.