Tank for Beer

hi8is

Beer isn't even a consensus top 5 pick at the moment. The campaign is funny and relevant. I want them to be terrible and then take the BPA in 2018. When talking about Beer though, there are way too many references to his batting average. I know it factors into his low BABIP but batting average really isn't that relevant of a measure, especially for someone that walks as much as he does. Batting average doesn't come close to telling the whole story.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

College OPS is usually a lot higher than MLB. I don't think Beer is top 100 in either slugging pct. or on base.

Basically, if he were having the year he is having this year last season, he would never be mentioned on this board, especially considering he is not really going to be much of a plus defender.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 09:12 AM)
I read somewhere that the Sox have been scouting Beer since has was 14 years old. How high will he be drafted? I really don't know. I do know that the Sox should and would consider him if he's still on the board at their pick in the 2018 draft.

If they are scouting 14 year olds, no wonder they have drafted so poorly. It's a total waste of scouting resources. He was in 7th grade. Why scout guys 5 to 7 years away from being drafted? So much changes.

Your scouting report as a 14 year old becomes totally irrelevant.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 09:12 AM)
I read somewhere that the Sox have been scouting Beer since has was 14 years old. How high will he be drafted? I really don't know. I do know that the Sox should and would consider him if he's still on the board at their pick in the 2018 draft.

At Soxfest, Hostetler said that they have reports about Beer going all the way back to when he was 14 years old. They weren't scouting him then. At this point, Beer looks like a mid-late 1st round pick in the 2018 draft. He still has a full college season after this one. This isn't even like the 5th most important topic that pertains to the Sox right now.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 09:16 AM)
If they are scouting 14 year olds, no wonder they have drafted so poorly. It's a total waste of scouting resources. He was in 7th grade. Why scout guys 5 to 7 years away from being drafted? So much changes.

I really have no idea how to answer your question. I would assume that scouting 14 year olds isn't the norm, but Beer was probably so good then that the Sox showed very early interest in him.

They likely aren't scouting individual players, he was probably on a tournament (14 is freshman year) and they started scouting. The MLB draft includes high school players, so not sure why anyone is incredulous at white sox having scouting reports on them.

If a player could be good enough to be top ten rounds out of high school, the scouts probably ran into them early in their careers.

That doesn't mean they went to specifically scout that one player.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 09:19 AM)
At Soxfest, Hostetler said that they have reports about Beer going all the way back to when he was 14 years old. They weren't scouting him then. At this point, Beer looks like a mid-late 1st round pick in the 2018 draft. He still has a full college season after this one. This isn't even like the 5th most important topic that pertains to the Sox right now.

+100

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 09:27 AM)
They likely aren't scouting individual players, he was probably on a tournament (14 is freshman year) and they started scouting. The MLB draft includes high school players, so not sure why anyone is incredulous at white sox having scouting reports on them.

If a player could be good enough to be top ten rounds out of high school, the scouts probably ran into them early in their careers.

That doesn't mean they went to specifically scout that one player.

Beer was 19 when he went to college skipping his senior year final semester. He was in 7th or 8th grade as a 14 year old.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 09:16 AM)

That's one old 7th grader.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 09:19 AM)

I would bet any amount of money that Beer would be a top 15 pick in the 2018 draft as of today.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 09:32 AM)
I would bet any amount of money that Beer would be a top 15 pick in the 2018 draft as of today.

Could happen. I wouldn't be making the same bet with other people if I were you though. You need to go study up on draft history and how teams think before making blanket statements. If Seth Beer were named Eric Martin, there wouldn't be Sox fans wanting to tank for him. There's a chance that the Sox get a better player at #11 this year than Beer will even end up being but nobody is talking about the 2017 draft due to a catchy hashtag.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 09:37 AM)
Could happen. I wouldn't be making the same bet with other people if I were you though. You need to go study up on draft history and how teams think before making blanket statements. If Seth Beer were named Eric Martin, there wouldn't be Sox fans wanting to tank for him. There's a chance that the Sox get a better player at #11 this year than Beer will even end up being but nobody is talking about the 2017 draft due to a catchy hashtag.

Preach brother!

100% true.

I said as of today. Of course things change. The 2018 draft isn't for another year + a couple months. But like I said, I don't think there's any reason why Beer wouldn't be a top 15 pick in 2018 as of today.

Edited by ChiSoxFanMike

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 09:43 AM)
I said as of today. Of course things change. The 2018 draft isn't for another year + a couple months. But like I said, I don't think there's any reason why Beer wouldn't be a top 15 pick in 2018 as of today.

He leads the nation in walks, has 9 homers in 30 games, and isn't in the top 50 in the country in OBP or SLG. He also doesn't play a premium position on defense or play that spot at an elite level. If they made him eligible today, I don't think he goes top 15 in this current draft.

The people who are in on the "campaign" have mentioned the fact it's more of the idea of getting a high pick than actually getting Seth Beer. I'm not sure why the people who don't want to tank have to come in here and s*** all over the idea. You're obviously entitled to your opinion but so are the people who want to lose to get a higher pick.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 10:11 AM)
The people who are in on the "campaign" have mentioned the fact it's more of the idea of getting a high pick than actually getting Seth Beer. I'm not sure why the people who don't want to tank have to come in here and s*** all over the idea. You're obviously entitled to your opinion but so are the people who want to lose to get a higher pick.

I disagree. There have been a lot of excuses about Beer's performance this season in this thread. He hasn't looked like a guy you lose all your games to draft.

They are going to get a high pick. I don't think anyone really thinks they won't.

This is pretty much how I feel as well. I personally really like Beer and think he has superstar potential, but to me, it's more about getting the super high draft pick. Getting Beer would be nice, but I'm not going to cry if it doesn't work out either. The Sox should be in the position to get a stud in 2018 whether it's Beer or someone else.

I think it pretty obvious that the Sox are going to get a high pick. However, there is much more value in the players that can be acquired for Quintana, Jones, Robertson, Frazier, Melky, Jennings, Gonzalez, Holland, Putnam, someone taking Shields contract, than there is is wanting all those players to contribute to a 60 win team.

The players that can be acquired on a whole for the current veterans far outweighs the difference between the 3rd pick and the 7th pick, IMO. We need those aforementioned players to have a good first few months. Frazier pulling his head out of his rear would be a good start.