2017 Offseason White Sox News, Notes, and Tweets thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 23, 2017 -> 10:22 PM)
Daryl Van Schouwen‏Verified account @CST_soxvan 25m25 minutes ago White Sox weekend probables: Friday-Gonzalez, Saturday-Rodon, Sunday-Giolito. Tigers all TBAs as of now.

Thanks for that update. We are going to be throwing three good pitchers this weekend. Looking forward to seeing Lucas and a curve ball in his second start

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 30, 2017 -> 08:11 PM)
  1. Dan Hayes‏Verified account @CSNHayes 13m13 minutes ago Nice running grab in the corner by Avisail Garcia. Fangraphs has him at 3 Defensive Runs Saved this season and at minus-1 in UZR.

Garcia was minus-19 DRS between 2014-15 and is plus-5 since the start of 2016.

The turn around of him is simply amazing. I never disliked the player but absolutely despised how he played.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 30, 2017 -> 06:11 PM)
  1. Dan Hayes‏Verified account @CSNHayes 13m13 minutes ago Nice running grab in the corner by Avisail Garcia. Fangraphs has him at 3 Defensive Runs Saved this season and at minus-1 in UZR.

Garcia was minus-19 DRS between 2014-15 and is plus-5 since the start of 2016.

To see a known Avi doubter such as yourself post this just warms my heart. I know you post many tweets but still... I've told whoever would listen that Avi was improving both defensively and offensively.

Abreu out again. 20k Buehrle bobble heads was the giveaway last night. Not even 18k in attendance. I don't recall ever seeing that for a bobble head giveaway, but Labor Day weekend is always a tough draw for the White Sox. Many families go for a last summer fling.A few years ago, my cousin had a few patio party tickets on Laor Day weekend vs. Boston. There wee no more than 20 people total in the patio party area.

Edit, Abreu now DHing.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 5, 2017 -> 12:34 PM)
Colleen Kane is moving to Bears coverage for the Tribune. Former Blackhawks beat writer Chris Kuc, is going to be on the White Sox beat.

The Trib actually wanted her to leave the beat a month or so ago so that Kuc could start getting acclimated. She refused (guess she wanted those trips to Boston and L.A.)

Kuc will do a much better job in my opinion.

Edited by Lip Man 1

I just got out of a ticketholder event with RH. A couple of nuggets

Nothing too earth shattering.

It looks like he will be listening intently on offers this winter for Abreu and Avi. Thinks their contract and age in Abreu 's case don't match up well with their window.

A lady wanted him to fire Coop. Coop will be around as long as he wants, although he has had medical issues again this year. If he ever leaves Curt Hassler would take his place.

He loves Engel but he has to hit although Renteria doesn't care if he hits.

Says they had the top position and pitching prospect last off season with Mocads and Giolito, thinks they could have the same this winter with Kopech and Eloy, and thinks they may have it next year with Hansen and Robert. A guy can dream.

He also said any thought of them not spending bg on a free agent or two when it is time, is BS. Said they will spend what they have to spend.

He is pretty straight forward in these meetings. Last year he scooped the rebuild was going to happen.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 7, 2017 -> 01:07 AM)
It looks like he will be listening intently on offers this winter for Abreu and Avi. Thinks their contract and age in Abreu 's case don't match up well with their window.

A lady wanted him to fire Coop. Coop will be around as long as he wants, although he has had medical issues again this year. If he ever leaves Curt Hassler would take his place.

Wow. That means the rebuild is gonna take a long while if Abreu is too old. Their contract? Why would that matter?

Why would some lady want Coop fired? Just cause he's abrasive?

This has been a really great s***ty year....We are now possibly witnessing 3/5 of our future rotation...it's very clear Lopez, Giolito and Rodon have a real chance at being very good MLB pitchers. Obviously, the bullpen is still a ways off as well as our position talent is still a couple years out perhaps, but it's really nice to be excited about the future. Sox just need to develop the talent pool properly and be patient, but this team has a chance to be special down the road....I'll be heading back to Chicago next summer and plan to take in some games and I'd like to see some good kids....

my first Sox game I saw ever was in 1983...in Baltimore.....despite that beastly rotation of Hoyt, Bannister, Dot and Britt....I got to see Randy friggin Martz start a game. I'd like my 'next first game' be watching Rodon or Lucas or even Kopech pitching.

Edited by kwolf68

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 6, 2017 -> 10:40 PM)
Wow. That means the rebuild is gonna take a long while if Abreu is too old. Their contract? Why would that matter?

They may both may not be here at the time we have our first competitive year or will only be around for a year of it. Pretty much what most of us have been saying all along.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 6, 2017 -> 10:40 PM)

He mentioned Abreu will be 32 when his control ends, and you generally don't want to give 32 year old first basemen a ton of money in today's market. And seemed to expect his skills to diminish. That the funds could be allocated better elsewhere. He actually said that.

He said Avi would be of a more desireable age, but he doesn't seem sold on Avi's turnaround quite yet either, and didn't seem too gung ho about paying him free agent dollars. So trade him while his value is highest.

He did mention acquiring more prospects in trades, and those two, unless you are going to send prospects for prospects, are really the only guys that could bring you back interesting, unless you are really stretching out interesting, are really all they have left to acquire these types of prospects.

He did mention Abreu's leadership and says that is definitely a factor, BUT it doesn't outweigh production.

He also, which surprised me, said it was possible Melky could come back. There was a big Melky fan in the room. Hahn said he wasn't sure it was a fit, but definitely didn't rule it out depending on the price tag.

Edited by Dick Allen

I wouldn't mind Melky coming back, but the at bats just don't seem to be there (unless they move Garcia and probably Abreu in the off-season). Davidson you would assume is at 3B, Delmonico could either get reps in the OF or 1B depending on if Abreu is moved or not and then you would still have guys like Engel, Cordell (if healthy), L. Garcia that should see some time in the OF. Casey Gillespie if he rakes in spring training even.

Edited by soxfan2014

I don't see gillaspie getting OF time. I dont think ti will be that hard to get consistent at bats, the one issue is essentially Leury is our only CFer, so Cordell / W Garcia / Liriano / Melky but unless Wily absolutely rakes I'm not sure it's that big of a deal. The others can just rotate between the DH/OF spots, give Avi spells. Teams with much more earned depth like the Dodgers do it fine.

And he's fun.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 7, 2017 -> 09:13 AM)
I don't see gillaspie getting OF time. I dont think ti will be that hard to get consistent at bats, the one issue is essentially Leury is our only CFer, so Cordell / W Garcia / Liriano / Melky but unless Wily absolutely rakes I'm not sure it's that big of a deal. The others can just rotate between the DH/OF spots, give Avi spells. Teams with much more earned depth like the Dodgers do it fine.

And he's fun.

I listed Gillaspie as someone who could get at bats at 1B pushing Delmonico into more OF bats. Not Gillaspie getting OF at bats. I was just listing guys who could potentially need the at bats that would disappear with Melky being on the team (unless Abreu and Garcia are dealt, which I hope happens if the offers are there).

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Sep 7, 2017 -> 09:16 AM)
I listed Gillaspie as someone who could get at bats at 1B pushing Delmonico into more OF bats.

Yeah Delmonico is going to be in the lineup, but they can do that by having him play 3b/1b/DH/corner outfield badly.