Wednesday's game was PPD

Bob Sacamano

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Apr 5, 2017 -> 12:19 PM)
This is the response I sent

John,

Thanks for the response.

Speaking frankly, this is a bit frustrating. This package was marketed to fans as a value deal of a group of games. I realize things happen with April weather, but I believe it's disingenuous for the White Sox to walk back on the good faith value of 11 games for a refunded portion of a miniscule amount of money and 10 remaining games (maybe 9 now if tomorrow's weather is bad as well).

The true value of this campaign is to get butts in seats in a down year, in my opinion, and I believe the White Sox always make a lot of money on concessions per fan, more than the value of the ticket that will go unsold. I would say that refunding $3.54 does nothing for the White Sox or me, but even a free upper reserved ticket in July gets me to a game, gets me to buy hot dogs, candy, beer and whatever else - and gets me to cheer on the squad.

We both know this is a rebuilding year for this team, and that there are going to be dog games in July and August against not-popular teams where the organization will struggle at the gate - why give me $3.54 for each of two tickets back when the team could make $50 in concessions for giving ballpark passers the opportunity to exchange for an upper reserved ticket to a handful of organization-picked games?

Sincerely,

I was going to suggest writing to them. I bet you get a positive response.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Apr 5, 2017 -> 02:19 PM)

John,

Thanks for the response.

Speaking frankly, this is a bit frustrating. This package was marketed to fans as a value deal of a group of games. I realize things happen with April weather, but I believe it's disingenuous for the White Sox to walk back on the good faith value of 11 games for a refunded portion of a miniscule amount of money and 10 remaining games (maybe 9 now if tomorrow's weather is bad as well).

The true value of this campaign is to get butts in seats in a down year, in my opinion, and I believe the White Sox always make a lot of money on concessions per fan, more than the value of the ticket that will go unsold. I would say that refunding $3.54 does nothing for the White Sox or me, but even a free upper reserved ticket in July gets me to a game, gets me to buy hot dogs, candy, beer and whatever else - and gets me to cheer on the squad.

We both know this is a rebuilding year for this team, and that there are going to be dog games in July and August against not-popular teams where the organization will struggle at the gate - why give me $3.54 for each of two tickets back when the team could make $50 in concessions for giving ballpark passers the opportunity to exchange for an upper reserved ticket to a handful of organization-picked games?

Sincerely,

I'd love to hear what they say to that.

No, the response was not positive, IMO.

Hi *****,

First off, I hate rainouts. I absolutely hate them and this has been a very frustrating way to start the season. You’re absolutely right that the goal of the Ballpark Pass is to get more fans out to the park and the ticket revenue is largely insignificant, but hopefully you can understand why a special rainout policy for you and the rest of the pass buyers would be unfair to full price ticket buyers, season ticket holders, group customers, etc. who all follow the standard policy. 10 games for $35.46 doesn’t have the same ring to it as 11 games for $39 but the per ticket price is the same, and I have every of intention of making a pass available every month throughout the season for the same price and same number of games. Once you’ve made it out to some games reach out again at the end of April if you’re still unhappy and I’ll get you tickets for another game later in the season (with some exceptions).

Thanks,

John

Um, great to know that the White Sox are also offering this in June and July, when the weather is going to be much much nicer and not just April, when the weather is s***ty. Maybe if I'd known that I would have just waited until July to buy this damned pass?

I guess I should keep responding and let him dig deeper?

Edited by Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Apr 5, 2017 -> 04:06 PM)
His response was pretty fair, I think. He also pretty much said that he'll give you another game if you complain at the end of the month.

His intention may have been fair, but do you understand how his logic doesn't make any sense whatsoever?

He's concerned about the value of the ticket price w/r/t what season ticket holders and full price ticket buyers would be investing in, but then he admits in his next sentence that he has every intention of discounting literally almost every game this year in the same way to people purchasing group plans. This discount would be utterly unprecedented.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Apr 5, 2017 -> 03:49 PM)
No, the response was not positive, IMO.

Um, great to know that the White Sox are also offering this in June and July, when the weather is going to be much much nicer and not just April, when the weather is s***ty. Maybe if I'd known that I would have just waited until July to buy this damned pass?

I guess I should keep responding and let him dig deeper?

Not sure why you are so upset with that response. He literally said to contact him at the end of the month and he will get you tickets to a later game.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Apr 5, 2017 -> 04:09 PM)
Not sure why you are so upset with that response. He literally said to contact him at the end of the month and he will get you tickets to a later game.

So he's gonna give me a game if I contact him on April 30, why the bs about season ticket holders and full price buyers? why not just give me one NOW as a good faith measure? In order to make ME jump through another hurdle? Thanks for making me say "thank you sir, may I have another"?

I'm upset because the idea that the White Sox are protecting season ticket holders and full price ticket buyers is BULLs*** and the notion of them offering monthly plans for the whole season - and not announcing it until later - seems to also be another example of the White Sox being organizationally DISINGENUOUS to their fans on two different levels.

Their season ticket holders are LITERALLY their most loyal fans. You can't get a seat for the whole season at much less than $700. Now he's saying that you can essentially get 70 games or so (excluding Yanks, Cubs, and Red Sox) for $3 a ticket? And there's been no announcement like this yet? So those of us who crowded in to get April tickets on the pretense that this was the best way to save on group games would have been better off to wait for June? Ok, so next year, how many people would buy an April pass? How many would just wait until June? What would that do to April sales?

This entire thing rubs me the wrong way for these reasons.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 5, 2017 -> 04:12 PM)
Yeah it sounds like he got exactly what he wanted.

No, if he had emailed me back and given me tickets to another game I would have gotten exactly what I wanted. He wants me to wait until the end of the month to ask him again for what he said he couldn't give me now because it "wouldn't be fair to the other fans". Even though that doesn't matter if I email him on April 30.

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ Apr 5, 2017 -> 07:40 AM)
Straight doubleheader on May 26.

Anyone with tickets to today's game can exchange their tickets for any tickets of equal or lesser value, they are not automatically valid for the doubleheader on May 26.

So you could exchange the tickets for tickets to a future game that isn't necessarily on 5/26? You're not locked into the make up game in May?

QUOTE (Doc Edwards Shot @ Apr 5, 2017 -> 05:22 PM)
So you could exchange the tickets for tickets to a future game that isn't necessarily on 5/26? You're not locked into the make up game in May?

Correct. May 26th is its own game- but it's two games.

If it were a day/night doubleheader, then today's game would have been for Game 1.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 5, 2017 -> 04:27 PM)
Correct. May 26th is its own game- but it's two games.

If it were a day/night doubleheader, then today's game would have been for Game 1.

If you want to go to the makeup game in May, you don't get to stay for the regularly scheduled game that day and make a doubleheader out of it for the price of just one game, correct?

Didn't they used to do that when your game was cancelled due to weather?

Sox tweets this morning...

Today’s game between the #WhiteSox and Detroit Tigers has been postponed due to rain.

The game will be made up on May 26 as part of a straight doubleheader, beginning at 4:10 PM. The originally scheduled game will begin at 7:10 PM, or 30 mins following the conclusion of the opener.

Tickets & parking coupons for today’s postponed game can be exchanged for equal or lesser value to any future regular-season Sox home game.

All exchanges must be done at the Guaranteed Rate Field box office during regular business hours or by mail. Fans with tickets for today’s game cannot use those tickets for entry on May 26.Fans with tickets for the 7:10 PM game on May 26 may attend both games of the doubleheader.

QUOTE (Doc Edwards Shot @ Apr 5, 2017 -> 05:37 PM)
If you want to go to the makeup game in May, you don't get to stay for the regularly scheduled game that day and make a doubleheader out of it for the price of just one game, correct?

Didn't they used to do that when your game was cancelled due to weather?

Depends on if its actually a straight double-header which this seems to be. I bet it changes.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Apr 5, 2017 -> 02:19 PM)

John,

Thanks for the response.

Sincerely,

how dare you makes sense, sir?

I love the logical, reasoned response. If you just fire F-bombs and such they'll delete it without reading it. At least this way they'll read it.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 5, 2017 -> 10:59 PM)
Sox tweets this morning...

Today’s game between the #WhiteSox and Detroit Tigers has been postponed due to rain.

The game will be made up on May 26 as part of a straight doubleheader, beginning at 4:10 PM. The originally scheduled game will begin at 7:10 PM, or 30 mins following the conclusion of the opener.

Tickets & parking coupons for today’s postponed game can be exchanged for equal or lesser value to any future regular-season Sox home game.

All exchanges must be done at the Guaranteed Rate Field box office during regular business hours or by mail. Fans with tickets for today’s game cannot use those tickets for entry on May 26.Fans with tickets for the 7:10 PM game on May 26 may attend both games of the doubleheader.

I wonder if it would have been a day/night doubleheader if the Sox were projected to be a contender. As is, they just figure no big deal; one ticket for the two games.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 5, 2017 -> 08:10 PM)
I wonder if it would have been a day/night doubleheader if the Sox were projected to be a contender. As is, they just figure no big deal; one ticket for the two games.

Probably. 2 games for the price of one is a selling point for some teams. Others don't have the option of giving up a gate.

If tomorrow gets called, I could see a day/night August 25th. Better weather, at the end of summer.

No announcement yet, but this from Van Schouwen...

https://twitter.com/CST_soxvan/status/849972336979836928

High wind warning still in effect, through 4 p.m. Sustained 30-40 mph with gusts to 60. Tough infield pop-up weather for #WhiteSox #Tigers

See above for what I would do.

Red Sox/Pirates already postponed today. The Pirates fly back to Boston next Thursday. That's why you start with mostly division games.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 6, 2017 -> 09:02 AM)
No announcement yet, but this from Van Schouwen...

https://twitter.com/CST_soxvan/status/849972336979836928

See above for what I would do.

Red Sox/Pirates already postponed today. The Pirates fly back to Boston next Thursday. That's why you start with mostly division games.

Well that's not possible for all teams to play a team in their division.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 6, 2017 -> 09:04 AM)
Well that's not possible for all teams to play a team in their division.

I know that. That's why I used the word "mostly".

There should have been 12 division games, and the other three should have been in places where weather isn't much of factor.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 6, 2017 -> 09:08 AM)
I know that. That's why I used the word "mostly".

There should have been 12 division games, and the other three should have been in places where weather isn't much of factor.

Yeah it makes no sense for Angels-A's, Dodgers-Padres, Astros-Mariners for example to open against each other even though they play in the same division.

Edited by soxfan2014