Cody Asche

Greg Hibbard

I've been poring over this guy's major league and minor league career, and what am I missing here?

He seems like a good contact hitter with little power, suspect defense at 3rd base.

Why are we spending a roster spot on a guy who appears to be Gordon Beckham without defense, especially since we have a 3rd baseman this season?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 12:50 PM)
Given the general goal of the season, he doesn't bother me much. And if he keeps on sucking, I don't think he will be around long enough to bother me

Same. Delmonico or Hayes will be up if he doesn't start hitting a bit, though.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 01:54 PM)
I suppose maybe Saladino plays (backup) third/utility infielder when Moncada comes up and maybe Asche goes down then?

My plan would be 1) move Jose to DH full time, 2) Frazier to 1B full time, 3) Tyler to 3B full time, 4) Moncada to 2B.

That's actually a pretty nice defensive IF.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 11:50 AM)
Given the general goal of the season, he doesn't bother me much. And if he keeps on sucking, I don't think he will be around long enough to bother me

He bothers me to the extent that he's taking ABs from Davidson, a guy who might still have some upside at the MLB level.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 12:58 PM)
He bothers me to the extent that he's taking ABs from Davidson, a guy who might still have some upside at the MLB level.

Are they really though? Davidson has seemed to have issues mentally. They are setting him up to succeed IMO by platooning him with Asche. Worked for Trayce.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 10:58 AM)

Does Davidson actually have more upside then Asche? They are both roughly the same age and Asche had better minor league numbers, especially at the more advanced levels (after getting drafted he flew through Phillies system). You could argue he was rushed and he obviously struggled to hit at the major league level. I recognize Asche had more time spent at the major league level, where he proved what he wasn't capable of. Neither are anything special defensively. I guess I don't view either of them as much different. Davidson had a bit more hype at the point we acquired him, but the Phils saw something in Asche that they liked enough that they tried to give him ample time to earn a major league spot. So quesiton is, do we think Davidson is going to suddenly change from the guy he was in the minors for a long time or do we think a change of scenery and maybe a tweak can change Asche?

Asche earned the opportunity based upon his spring performance. Odds are both will suck, but I don't view Davidson as any better gamble then Asche.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 12:58 PM)

They are both kind of in the same bucket to me, former hyped prospects just hoping to stick now. It will get sorted out soon enough, sooner if Asche keeps going 0-fer

Asche is another one of those kind of guys who you grab a pile of in a rebuilding situation. You literally have nothing to lose here. If he fails, you cut him, and you miss out on nothing. He isn't really blocking anyone of substance (and no Davidson isn't of substance, he is in the same boat as Asche). If you get one guy like this to succeed, you gained an asset for zero cost to the organization.

The same goes for Avi, Davidson, W Garcia, R Liriano, etc.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 12:30 PM)
They are both kind of in the same bucket to me, former hyped prospects just hoping to stick now. It will get sorted out soon enough, sooner if Asche keeps going 0-fer

Asche had a hit yesterday and has hit some balls hard. I am more concerned about May, who looks over matched, clueless, and weak at the plate.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 01:42 PM)
Asche had a hit yesterday and has hit some balls hard. I am more concerned about May, who looks over matched, clueless, and weak at the plate.

May had a .660 OPS in AAA last year. Davidson, Sanchez, Leury Garcia, blow that away, and they can't hit. People fall for spring training stats way too easily.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 01:42 PM)

May can field an important position and he really doesnt matter here. Asche and Davidson are fighting for the same PT